Walsh deal in place - time to spill the beans on the Pats

d_wag

maybe, but the agreement says he can't make any commercial gain for 5 years, all proceeds go to a charity of the NFL's choosing

The way I read it, he can keep anything he earns above the "indemnification costs" the NFL incurrs.

I'd be surprised if we hear anything other than "we met with Mr. Walsh and reviewed the materials and found no new evidence, so we consider this matter closed" from Goodell and the rest of Kraft's cronies.

I don't know we'll have to see. I wouldn't be surprised if something is done and they are honest about the evidence and use the Patriots* as a scapegoat.

WALSH GETS ONGOING ACCESS TO HIS MATERIALS

Posted by Mike Florio on April 23, 2008, 1:27 p.m.

One of the first things we noticed (and, after reading the language seven times, began to understand) regarding the Matt Walsh agreement is that, after Walsh surrenders to the league whatever tangible evidence that he has in his possession, he’ll still have access to it.

Under paragraph 1(b) of the agreement, Walsh’s lawyer may keep one copy of each “document” that is given to the league. Also, Walsh and his lawyer have the ability to inpect on request any “tangible property” that is surrendered to the NFL.

In other words, the suspicion held by some that the league will harvest Walsh’s documents and/or videotapes and/or any other hard evidence only to destroy the materials is erroneous. Walsh will be able to keep a copy of certain things, and he will be able to retrieve and inspect certain other things that he turns over.

That’s all for this entry. I’ve already got a headache from trying to figure out the agreement. And I’m only in paragraph 1.

Does "Document" include video tapes?

The eight-page agreement requires Walsh turn over to the NFL any documents and materials, including videotapes that relate to allegations of videotaping Patriots opponents, by May 8. His legal counsel, Levy, is allowed under the agreement to retain a copy of his document, though the materials cannot be used for commercial purposes or in a manner that could "reasonably be expected to be disparaging to the NFL." Nor may Walsh or his attorney make documents available to a third party without the league's consent.

That seems like a heavy grip. Although, Walsh could go to the media and say I've got proof that they are glossing over and they won't agree to let me release it.

i don't know if this has been mentioned before, but does anyone think paul tagliabue(?) bailed because he knew something like this was going on, and wanted to avoid any tough decisions? i mean, look at what goodell has had to deal with since coming into office (thugs, spygate, vick, etc.). i wouldn't wish this on anyone.

<_< I think that's a bit too conspiratorial. The dealing with thugs is something Goodell decided to crack down by himself. I'm sure Tagliabue didn't know that one of Vick's houses was going to be raided and dog fighting crap found. I also don't think he knew that the Jets would catch the Pets* on their sidelines.

Sounds good. I would sure like to have Kyle Brady on the Bills.

:cry:

Hey each team has a 53 man roster and there are 32 teams in the NFL. Why not give each team a player based on record like the draft. Let the Pets* build a team from everybody's scraps at the cutdowns. <_<

Does "Document" include video tapes?

Seems like it has to, since the bulk of what he is likely to have would consist of video or audio tapes. I find it hard to believe there is hard copy evidence like some document authorizing or discussing video taping. Emails are a possibility, pretty freaking dumb if there are.

Just a guess, but a document might be some sworn affidavit by Walsh that he was acting on BB's orders to video tape or that he knew and thereby approved. Not real strong evidence, that's why he must have some tapes.

here are some good laughs from the Cheatriots' Fans In Denial

read the comments, that's the real entertainment...

Good points everyone-but lets say that Walsh does indeed have a tape of the Rams walk through done on the eve of the SB....who is to say that he didn't do that on his own? Unless I hear Belichicks or Krafts voice saying something to the effect of "Yes Matt, that's right. I want to jeopardize this entire organization and send out a known employee of the Pats to video tape the opposing teams walk through of the game."

Unless I hear some thing like that, where either BB or Kraft admit to telling Walsh to do this, then I'm not caring a bit if he's got a tape of a bus up in flames filled with old ladies all of which are my adopted grandmothers. Unless I hear it from BB's or Kraft's mouth, then it's hearsay.

This is actually what I think will happen. Walsh shows a tape of something like the Rams walk through, and the Kraftonites scream he was acting on his own; that they didn't see it or use it. Unless Walsh gets someone else to testify that they used it, the whole thing might be watered down in court.

here are some good laughs from the Cheatriots' Fans In Denial

read the comments, that's the real entertainment...

This is actually what I think will happen. Walsh shows a tape of something like the Rams walk through, and the Kraftonites scream he was acting on his own; that they didn't see it or use it. Unless Walsh gets someone else to testify that they used it, the whole thing might be watered down in court.

As noted in the thread I started on my review of the Agt., there is language in the Agt. that talks about the burden of proof in such a case. In my haste, I looked at it as mainly more evidence that such a tape exists, but glossed over the idea that this may be the way the League and the Pats get out of this, as you note above. They will certainly lose the PR war, as no one in their right mind is going to believe he did this on his own, but it may mean the League gets away with not punishing the Pats further in such a case. At that point, there's absolutely no doubt who Goodell works for, to the detriment of the integrity of the sport and I may actually never watch a game again if that were to happen (perhaps a bit of hyperbole, but not much)......