Whats the worst thing that the Bills could do

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it sounds like the fans will be disappointed if we draft a CB, DL, LB, WR, and there won't be any OL good enough for #11, so that leaves QB and RB. :wallbash: Git 'er done!!

hahaha exactly. here i thought that maybe this thread would make people relax and realize that WHATEVER they do, there is good reason for it and everyone should get onboard.

oh well... :lol:

i think we're in a pretty good position to get a number of different players at positions of need.

what is the choice they could make at #11 that would just be a complete disaster?

if they go WR at 11, fine. if they go DLine or OLine, great. if they go LB,...ok i guess.

i think i'd be a little disappointed with a CB, but im preparing myself for it.

i doubt theyd go safety or RB (call it a hunch)

i guess my point is, they have a better shot at being successful than screwing it up. (hopefully)

Four big areas of need- WR, TE, Center, and DE. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to take a cornerback, but not at #11. I'd take the best player available at 11 in any of the four critical areas of need. Given that many needs I wouldn't be surprised if we got the best player at one of those positions available in the entire draft. Except for the cornerback choice, I think it would be hard to screw up.

how can people list de as a bigger need than cb? that's just nuts.

we have 1 pro bowler and 2 decent guys at the very least at DE. we also have a tackle that can slide out there.

we have only 1 single cb with nfl chops, the rest are midgets who try hard or youboty who hasn't shown much yet.

only a madden playing fool thinks a pass rush alone can stop a passing attack. most teams complete over 20 passes a game -- about 65 would set the nfl record for sacks in a year. a pass rush is HUGE and important, but the best pass rush ever will only get to the qb about 4 times a game. you need cbs out there to cover, pick off passes and tackle after the ball is caught.

if a real super talent at any position falls to us at 11 then we should take him. otherwise it would be really dumb to reach for the 6th or 7th rated lineman over a top corner.

if we have a good season we will make the playoffs and still have to play the pats on the road.

we have them week 17 at home, and might need to win that to get to the tournament. by that time a solid/great rook corner should be able to match up on moss or welker so that along w a safety over top we can frustrate brady. if that lets us blitz more and rattle him, we have a shot.

cromartie the cb had the biggest effect against the top QBs out of anyone, he pwned manning in a big game and picked him off in the playoffs. he also stole an endzone pass from brady.

discounting the cornerback position is just foolish.

how can people list de as a bigger need than cb? that's just nuts.

we have 1 pro bowler and 2 decent guys at the very least at DE. we also have a tackle that can slide out there.

we have only 1 single cb with nfl chops, the rest are midgets who try hard or youboty who hasn't shown much yet.

only a madden playing fool thinks a pass rush alone can stop a passing attack. most teams complete over 20 passes a game -- about 65 would set the nfl record for sacks in a year. a pass rush is HUGE and important, but the best pass rush ever will only get to the qb about 4 times a game. you need cbs out there to cover, pick off passes and tackle after the ball is caught.

if a real super talent at any position falls to us at 11 then we should take him. otherwise it would be really dumb to reach for the 6th or 7th rated lineman over a top corner.

if we have a good season we will make the playoffs and still have to play the pats on the road.

we have them week 17 at home, and might need to win that to get to the tournament. by that time a solid/great rook corner should be able to match up on moss or welker so that along w a safety over top we can frustrate brady. if that lets us blitz more and rattle him, we have a shot.

cromartie the cb had the biggest effect against the top QBs out of anyone, he pwned manning in a big game and picked him off in the playoffs. he also stole an endzone pass from brady.

discounting the cornerback position is just foolish.

The highest ranked CB in the draft--Leodis McKelvin--almost certainly won't be there when the Bills pick at #11. That leaves Dominique Rogers Cromartie as the most likely choice should the Bills decide to take a CB at #11. (Most mock drafts seem to have him going second among CBs taken.)

There are several problems associated with this guy. Pro Football Weekly has him rated as the 18th or 19th best football player available, so the Bills would maybe have to reach a little to grab him. Then there's the fact that, other than the Senior Bowl, he didn't play at a high level while in college. He doesn't like to tackle, and he only has one kidney. The only reasons people are talking about him as a first round pick are his excellent combine, his senior bowl performance, and the fact he's the cousin of the Cromartie you mentioned. An NFL talent evaluator described him as a "bust waiting to happen."

In the unlikely event Cromartie lived up to expectations, it's reasonable to assume he'd leave the Bills after his first contract was over. If the Bills didn't extend Nate Clements, Antoine Winfield, Thomas Smith, or their other successful first round CBs, why would they extend Cromartie should he prove successful?

I oppose the Bills taking a first round CB in general (he'll be a first contract and out kind of player) and Dominique Rogers Cromartie in particular. If the Bills decide to take a defensive player with their first pick, it should be on a defensive lineman. Last season, Kelsay and Denney combined for a grand total of, ahem, 3.5 sacks. There's obvious room for improvement there.

Sacks alone don't tell the whole story of the pass rush's accomplishments. Sometimes, pressure on the QB can force him into an errant throw, resulting in an incompletion or an interception. If your front four can force Brady to throw the ball after 2.5 seconds, it will make things a lot easier for your back seven. If Brady has five seconds to throw, he will pick your defense apart, no matter who you have playing secondary.

Bill Walsh once said that the key to winning football games is a good pass rush in the fourth quarter. Everyone remembers the Super Bowl when Joe Montana threw the last minute touchdown pass to John Taylor, to beat the Bengals. But the only reason Joe Montana and the offense were able to take the field for that last drive was because the Bengals offense had gone three and out. The 49ers defensive line was talented and deep; and that DL's play on that last Bengals' drive was the primary reason why the Bengals were forced into a 3 and out.

But you don't need to look that far back into the past to find an example of a Super Bowl being heavily influenced by the defensive line. In the Giants/Patriots Super Bowl, Brady never seemed to have adequate time to throw. He finished the day with significantly worse stats Eli Manning's.

The highest ranked CB in the draft--Leodis McKelvin--almost certainly won't be there when the Bills pick at #11. That leaves Dominique Rogers Cromartie as the most likely choice should the Bills decide to take a CB at #11. (Most mock drafts seem to have him going second among CBs taken.)

There are several problems associated with this guy. Pro Football Weekly has him rated as the 18th or 19th best football player available, so the Bills would maybe have to reach a little to grab him. Then there's the fact that, other than the Senior Bowl, he didn't play at a high level while in college. He doesn't like to tackle, and he only has one kidney. The only reasons people are talking about him as a first round pick are his excellent combine, his senior bowl performance, and the fact he's the cousin of the Cromartie you mentioned. An NFL talent evaluator described him as a "bust waiting to happen."

In the unlikely event Cromartie lived up to expectations, it's reasonable to assume he'd leave the Bills after his first contract was over. If the Bills didn't extend Nate Clements, Antoine Winfield, Thomas Smith, or their other successful first round CBs, why would they extend Cromartie should he prove successful?

I oppose the Bills taking a first round CB in general (he'll be a first contract and out kind of player) and Dominique Rogers Cromartie in particular. If the Bills decide to take a defensive player with their first pick, it should be on a defensive lineman. Last season, Kelsay and Denney combined for a grand total of, ahem, 3.5 sacks. There's obvious room for improvement there.

Sacks alone don't tell the whole story of the pass rush's accomplishments. Sometimes, pressure on the QB can force him into an errant throw, resulting in an incompletion or an interception. If your front four can force Brady to throw the ball after 2.5 seconds, it will make things a lot easier for your back seven. If Brady has five seconds to throw, he will pick your defense apart, no matter who you have playing secondary.

Bill Walsh once said that the key to winning football games is a good pass rush in the fourth quarter. Everyone remembers the Super Bowl when Joe Montana threw the last minute touchdown pass to John Taylor, to beat the Bengals. But the only reason Joe Montana and the offense were able to take the field for that last drive was because the Bengals offense had gone three and out. The 49ers defensive line was talented and deep; and that DL's play on that last Bengals' drive was the primary reason why the Bengals were forced into a 3 and out.

But you don't need to look that far back into the past to find an example of a Super Bowl being heavily influenced by the defensive line. In the Giants/Patriots Super Bowl, Brady never seemed to have adequate time to throw. He finished the day with significantly worse stats Eli Manning's.

Dank, I just checked out the USA Today Sports Weekly mock. Every single one of their drafters selected a CB for Buffalo at #11, and every single one of them had McKelvin already off the board...

Dank, I just checked out the USA Today Sports Weekly mock. Every single one of their drafters selected a CB for Buffalo at #11, and every single one of them had McKelvin already off the board...

amazing, even better. so i guess we finally didnt "reach"... :)

i tried making threads like these this past week, in hopes that it would help everyone's perspective.

guess some didnt read it.

I think that Leodis McKelvin will be as good as, or better than, you'd expect from the #11 overall pick. Hopefully, the Bills will extend him; rather than letting him walk after his first contract is over.