Funny story from Miami about first pick

K-Gun10

Did Miami GM reveal draft direction?

Posted: Friday April 18, 2008 07:25AM ET

In a classic and comedic moment during a 25-minute news conference Thursday, Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland made an unintended slip-up that caused quite a debate about whether he had just accidentally revealed some seriously secretive information. The question was innocent, an inquiry about how Ireland views a player's accomplishments in college compared with his upside in the future. ''Of course I want guys who have great upside -- this is the first pick in the draft,'' Ireland said. ``This guy is going to be, you hope he's a pillar of your defense for a long time. Of course you hope he's going to have upside. The economics to me . . .'' Ireland stopped mid-sentence, looking over at two reporters who were smiling about what they thought they just heard. Ireland gave the reporters a curious smirk of his own. ''Defense?'' one of the reporters said. Did he really just accidentally reveal Miami's plans to draft a defensive player, likely either Chris Long or Vernon Gholston?

Miami Herald

Did Miami GM reveal draft direction?

Posted: Friday April 18, 2008 07:25AM ET

In a classic and comedic moment during a 25-minute news conference Thursday, Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland made an unintended slip-up that caused quite a debate about whether he had just accidentally revealed some seriously secretive information. The question was innocent, an inquiry about how Ireland views a player's accomplishments in college compared with his upside in the future. ''Of course I want guys who have great upside -- this is the first pick in the draft,'' Ireland said. ``This guy is going to be, you hope he's a pillar of your defense for a long time. Of course you hope he's going to have upside. The economics to me . . .'' Ireland stopped mid-sentence, looking over at two reporters who were smiling about what they thought they just heard. Ireland gave the reporters a curious smirk of his own. ''Defense?'' one of the reporters said. Did he really just accidentally reveal Miami's plans to draft a defensive player, likely either Chris Long or Vernon Gholston?

Miami Herald

I've heard they're not considering Richard Long because they already have enough Dicks on the team.

Yeah I read that. Smoke screens and mirrors.

Besides, it doesn't matter if the fish go Ryan, Long, Long, Dorsey, or Gholston, no one is gonna trade up with them.

My bet is that they go the safe route and take Jake Long.

They are trying to get the best player at a reasonable contract. They are playing players off each other.

Its all smoke and juggs, I mean mirrors, yeah mirrors.

You've been looking at your avatar too long. Like everyone else. :thumbdown:

they have the number 1 overall pick, who in the hell can they fool. Who cares about the slip up. Noone is ahead of them to pick, honestly they really dont have to keep their draft plan a secret for the #1 pick.

They are trying to make all of the potential first picks sweat. How much is a guy willing to give up to be known as the first pick in the draft?

:devil:

:P

:rolleyes: