Derrick Harvey - late observation?

GG

He did have a great Senior Bowl. Just about everything I have read states he was shy in run support. I would prefer a more physical CB. Here is The War Rooms take on DRC(I am reading many sights-this is premium info)

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

CB, Tennessee State

War Room analysis

Strengths: Is an elite athlete, with the physical tools NFL coaches drool over. Is tall with long arms and natural strength. Shows the quickness, speed and fluid hips to turn and run with receivers downfield. Shows the hands to make tough interceptions. At the Senior Bowl, showed quick footwork in backpedal, transitioning to close quickly on passes and using long arms to reach in front of receivers. Shows speed and playmaking ability as a punt returner.

Weaknesses: Is a better athlete than football player; did not play nearly as well in college as he did at the Senior Bowl. At Tennessee State, allowed inferior receivers to separate and catch passes. In college, got upright in backpedal, hindering ability to transition. Lacks natural instincts, and often reacts late to receivers' routes. Shows sloppy and raw technique, raising questions of how well he learns from coaching. Does not play with intensity; does not come upfield quickly in run support, content to allow teammates to make tackles.

Bottom line: Rodgers-Cromartie is a premier athlete who improved his draft stock tremendously at the Senior Bowl. In our experience, most players who knock people's socks off in the spring after failing to impress on film struggle to improve in the NFL. Rodgers-Cromartie must prove his stellar week in Mobile isn't an aberration. He still looks and plays more like the track star he also is -- he won the 60 meter dash at the 2007 Ohio Valley Conference indoor championship. Don't be surprised if an NFL team drafts Rodgers-Cromartie as high as Round 1; we don't recommend it, though, because he is a long way from being a polished NFL cornerback. We wouldn't be surprised if Rodgers-Cromartie followed the path of Andre Woolfolk, a 2003 first-round pick who already is out of the league.

Not the type of player I want on the Bills. Sounds like Deon light

Ouch, why does that sound like the guy that we're going to grab at 11? :thumbsup:

We don't need Harvey. With the addition of Stroud, and McCargo being a lot better, QBs will not be able to just step up in the pocket to avoid our DE's. All to often last year; we would beat the OT's but the QB would just step up due to the lack of middle pressure.

What is your take on Quentin Groves? IMO he might be the best pass rusher in this draft

You would be right. He also played SLB in Auburn's 4-3 last year to ensure that he and frosh. DE Antonio Coleman were on the field at the same time. I was floored at how smooth the transition was and how well he did in coverage for never playing a snap there until last year.

He also might slip out of the first round because of a heart thing that he had corrected with minor surgery. It's no big deal but "heart surgery' is not a phrase a first round pick wants to hear three weeks before the draft.

Could you imagine a defense that had Harvey, Merling at DE and Groves as your SLB? Yikes.

We don't need Harvey. With the addition of Stroud, and McCargo being a lot better, QBs will not be able to just step up in the pocket to avoid our DE's. All to often last year; we would beat the OT's but the QB would just step up due to the lack of middle pressure.

I disagree. We need all the pass rushers we can get. The Bills D line is not close to being an elite unit, which is a must have to compete in a conference dominated by two HOF QBs.

i don't think harvey is a sudden enough rusher for us. look, somebody is gonna reach for a DT or an OT in the first 10 picks, at our slot we will have a shot at a top 10 or even top 7 or so talent. is harvey reall up there?

matt ryan

long

long

golston

ellis

dorsey

mcfadden

otoh

clady

and at the minimum 2 corners are clearly better players than harvey.

i just don't think he's the 11th best player, and he might not be top 20 or 25

You would be right. He also played SLB in Auburn's 4-3 last year to ensure that he and frosh. DE Antonio Coleman were on the field at the same time. I was floored at how smooth the transition was and how well he did in coverage for never playing a snap there until last year.

He also might slip out of the first round because of a heart thing that he had corrected with minor surgery. It's no big deal but "heart surgery' is not a phrase a first round pick wants to hear three weeks before the draft.

Could you imagine a defense that had Harvey, Merling at DE and Groves as your SLB? Yikes.

Radiofrequency catheter ablation to treat Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome. Should be fine -- actually, no longer having to worry about sudden attacks of tachycardia should be a weight off his mind.

(No, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I have more than a passing familiarity with this diagnosis...)

Here's the thing that is overlooked about Harvey. If you really want to see what this kid is all about you have to look at the last TWO years of video.

While yes, many of Harvey's sacks came from pressure developed by Jermaine Cunningham, the year before Harvey was that #49 chasing sacks towards last years first-rounder Jarvis Moss. The Florida team last year had no good defensive lineman outside of Harvey -- that was the weakness of the team last year. Harvey got hammered with double teams almost every single down as a result. IF you look at the video of him in 2006 you'll be very impressed.

Yeah, he was dominant in the Championship Game two years ago. I've wanted him on the Bills ever since. The Bills have to be thinking that they need to get an impact front seven player with that 11th pick. We do not have one right now. DE prospects like Harvey and Merling are difficult to get and I would have to think that they will be difficult pass up. If we stay at 11, we are taking either Merling, Harvey, or Keith Rivers. They will all be star defensive players in this league.

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

CB, Tennessee State

War Room analysis

Strengths: Is an elite athlete, with the physical tools NFL coaches drool over. Is tall with long arms and natural strength. Shows the quickness, speed and fluid hips to turn and run with receivers downfield. Shows the hands to make tough interceptions. At the Senior Bowl, showed quick footwork in backpedal, transitioning to close quickly on passes and using long arms to reach in front of receivers. Shows speed and playmaking ability as a punt returner.

Weaknesses: Is a better athlete than football player; did not play nearly as well in college as he did at the Senior Bowl. At Tennessee State, allowed inferior receivers to separate and catch passes. In college, got upright in backpedal, hindering ability to transition. Lacks natural instincts, and often reacts late to receivers' routes. Shows sloppy and raw technique, raising questions of how well he learns from coaching. Does not play with intensity; does not come upfield quickly in run support, content to allow teammates to make tackles.

Bottom line: Rodgers-Cromartie is a premier athlete who improved his draft stock tremendously at the Senior Bowl. In our experience, most players who knock people's socks off in the spring after failing to impress on film struggle to improve in the NFL. Rodgers-Cromartie must prove his stellar week in Mobile isn't an aberration. He still looks and plays more like the track star he also is -- he won the 60 meter dash at the 2007 Ohio Valley Conference indoor championship. Don't be surprised if an NFL team drafts Rodgers-Cromartie as high as Round 1; we don't recommend it, though, because he is a long way from being a polished NFL cornerback. We wouldn't be surprised if Rodgers-Cromartie followed the path of Andre Woolfolk, a 2003 first-round pick who already is out of the league.

After reading this, I'm truly hoping the Bills don't waste a first round pick on DRC. There should be much better players available at #11.