OK...help all of a sudden I cannot access my internet radio

Yesterday somehow my computer was hit with a malware that was downloading all kinds of stuff onto my computer (including websites in my favorites and icons on my desktop NETBOOSTER I think it was called)

I ran my antivirus and spybot search and destroy programs a few times and no longer have these on my computer.

BUT

for some unknown reason now I cannot get my internet radio stations to play. I can access the sites that have the link to them but when I click the link they only partially come up and just hang there not doing anything.

Can anyone help?

Yesterday somehow my computer was hit with a malware that was downloading all kinds of stuff onto my computer (including websites in my favorites and icons on my desktop NETBOOSTER I think it was called)

I ran my antivirus and spybot search and destroy programs a few times and no longer have these on my computer.

BUT

for some unknown reason now I cannot get my internet radio stations to play. I can access the sites that have the link to them but when I click the link they only partially come up and just hang there not doing anything.

Can anyone help?

Try holding down thr CRTL key while you hit the link (to temp disable pop-up blockers)

Problem.....it wont allow me to pick any day except for yesterday and today

It tells me I have to pick a bolded date.......but there are none in April and it wont let me go back to March.

By the way.....other media's seem to work like U tube, buffalo bills.com, etc. It seems to be just the on line internet

ok, I'd rebuild Internet Explorer and clean up any obvious corruption by running the System File Checker, assuming that's your browser. You might need the Windows CD to replace some files.

Click Start, click Run, then type sfc /scannow, and then press ENTER.

Restart the computer when System File Checker is finished

Then reinstall the latest version of Windows Media Player here

If this doesn't work, you have some other corruption in Windows that won't be quite so easy to resolve

Hey faking,

I think I still have some kind of spyware/malware runing on my computer....I ran Spybot and my virus program several times in safe mode yesterday but I am noticing that while I am not gettin all kinds of pop ups.....my browser is periodically being hijacked and sent to a webpage other then the one I inteneded to go to.

Also....on some of the sites I have a yellow strip across the top of the pag telling me that I might have spyware on my computer. I think I am still infected. Not sure what to do.

yeah, I thought maybe that was the case, but since you were pretty confident that it was removed, I took the corrupted windows path...

there's two choices, one easier with more risk that it might not work and a more difficult, but higher confidence solution that requires that you edit the Registry.

the easier one is to download SmitfraudFix and save it to your desktop. Start in Safe Mode and run it, Selecting Option #2 and answering Y to Do you want to clean the registry. You might have to run it more than once.

the more complex choice would be performing the manual removal instructions

a good precaution is to create a Restore Point in System Restore (START/ACCESSORIES/SYSTEM TOOLS/SYSTEM RESTORE) before messing with the Registry

If you get stuck, IM me

yeah, I thought maybe that was the case, but since you were pretty confident that it was removed, I took the corrupted windows path...

there's two choices, one easier with more risk that it might not work and a more difficult, but higher confidence solution that requires that you edit the Registry.

the easier one is to download SmitfraudFix and save it to your desktop. Start in Safe Mode and run it, Selecting Option #2 and answering Y to Do you want to clean the registry. You might have to run it more than once.

the more complex choice would be performing the manual removal instructions

a good precaution is to create a Restore Point in System Restore (START/ACCESSORIES/SYSTEM TOOLS/SYSTEM RESTORE) before messing with the Registry

If you get stuck, IM me

Faking,

Thanks for the info I will run this....question. Do you think this my be the reason why my internet radio does not work?

Faking,

Thanks for the info I will run this....question. Do you think this my be the reason why my internet radio does not work?

yes, based on the limited info I have.

here's a possible explanation...the virus is trying to redirect or hijack your computer in order to navigate to websites of its own choosing. Since you crippled it with Spybot and others, it cannot complete the hijacking and hangs in the process

By the way, a lot of what the Netbooster virus does is to issue fake malware messages in order to get you to download its fake antispy programs, so how much actual junk you have isn't known until you clean out the virus. You have to remove all traces of it in the windows registry in order to stop the malware warnings and hijacking.

I went into safe mode and ran the smithfraud program several times.

Now I am not getting any messages....but my internet radio still does not work. The icon for it opens up but it just hangs and does not complete.

Also another question. My job gave me spysweeper to run on my computer and I ran it....is that a good program?

I went into safe mode and ran the smithfraud program several times.

Now I am not getting any messages....but my internet radio still does not work. The icon for it opens up but it just hangs and does not complete.

Also another question. My job gave me spysweeper to run on my computer and I ran it....is that a good program?

It's highly likely that Smithfraudfix cleaned a big chunk of it, but you still have some residuals.

what is the internet radio page you're trying to open? Some of them use different audio plug-ins or player apps

Spysweeper is ok. My experience is that different programs are better at detecting different malware based on what they're trained to look for. The result? You have to use several. Personally I use Spybot Search & Destroy, religiously updating the definitions and performing the immunization steps every time, and I don't appear to have any spyware. I also use Lavasoft AdAware.

It's highly likely that Smithfraudfix cleaned a big chunk of it, but you still have some residuals.

what is the internet radio page you're trying to open? Some of them use different audio plug-ins or player apps

Spysweeper is ok. My experience is that different programs are better at detecting different malware based on what they're trained to look for. The result? You have to use several. Personally I use Spybot Search & Destroy, religiously updating the definitions and performing the immunization steps every time, and I don't appear to have any spyware. I also use Lavasoft AdAware.

It is the "Listen Live" portion of this website:

http://www.xtrasportsradio.com/main.html

Also....my browser is still being hijacked....I am not getting the pop ups and the yellow banner is gone off the top of the page telling my I might have spyware.....but I am still getting hijacked.

It is the "Listen Live" portion of this website:

http://www.xtrasportsradio.com/main.html

Also....my browser is still being hijacked....I am not getting the pop ups and the yellow banner is gone off the top of the page telling my I might have spyware.....but I am still getting hijacked.

ok, the two main requirements of this page are Windows Media Player and Javascript.

I'm guessing you have to edit the registry to clear out the remnants of the virus, but reinstalling Media Player and Java VM might get you through, try these first...