Draft only offense; QBs and RBs

I can't understand why NFL teams draft so many DBs in the first round. It seems recent history points to that. And why take a DB when all we're ever told is how important the QB and running game is to success and a winning record and playoff victories.

My thinking is: The way the league is, it's better to draft offense and make a splash with fans.

If public perception is so important, I think drafting offense is the only way to go.

USE FREE AGENCY to sign the top defensive talent. Because defense is what wins games and it's better to go with proven players on defense. You can't have busts on defense and it seems teams have been having a lot of busts on defense lately.

I would draft a QB EVERY YEAR.

Use him as trade bait to collect extra picks (not first rounders, too expensive) if he proves to be good, but not starting material on your team. I would draft a QB in any round. Including a first rounder. That way you could stock pile 2nd and 3rd rounders and build your team.

I would also draft a RB every year. Probably two RB's. They don't last long and you could always have quality players in the wings. Plus you could use them as trade bait if you get like three or four guys that are quality. Many teams like Tampa needed running backs. RBs go done more than QBs.

I wouldn't use a 1st rounder on O-line either. Too many Robert Gallery's, Mike Williams and Leonard Davis's out there. Take O-line in the later rounds and find those gems.

How does that work in madden?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we would lose a lot of games with your plan. The best way to draft is to take the best player at the highest position of need. For instance, our highest position of need is probably WR, so when its our pick we should take a WR. In the second round we would address the next highest position of need, perhaps TE. Thats how I would draft.

The draft is a cheap labor pool???? On NFL Network, NFL owners and just about everyone else wants to get rid of the huge signing bonuses paid out to unproven rookies taken in the first round.

The median salary in the NFL in 2007 was roughly $770,000. Check out the Bills' 2007 payroll as well.

Half to two-thirds of any roster makes well below $2 million per year, with many of these guys being mid- and low-round draft choices. The only players getting the huge bonus $$$ are the first round guys...not the rank and file.

1. Than why did you quote my comment when you made that assanine post?

2. So you didn't watch the bills last year? He was solid when he played, You don't draft a fourth RB because your 2nd best RB might not be great.

3. You wouldn't have good WR's because what % of late round picks develope into great players? For every Colston ther 25 Sam Aiken's.

4. GB had a HOF QB (who has missed all of 0 starts) for Hasselback/ Brunell to learn behind. (we don't have one) Same goes for QB's as it does for every other position, Sometimes you get lucky in late rounds.

5. The best Qb in the draft isn't falling to 11, Miami, Atlanta, and Baltimore all need a Qb.

6. All rookies are unproven, not just defensive rookies. Priest Holmes was getting older, they needed a young running back. The Bengals took Chris Perry when they had R. Johnson, how'd that work?

And Seatle was already a playoff team in the worst division in football, they would have made the playoffs with or without Kerney. And how many FA signings like that can you expect to make? Do you realize how much money he makes?

2. Then why don't I know his number. He's a nothing. Finding someone cheap to compete with him is nothing that can't be done.

4. That's what I'm saying. Getting lucky in late rounds could really help Buffalo. Buffalo needs offensive players not defense. And I'm reading CB on the NFL Network and Scott Wrights mock draft. To me that's just stupid. How many points did Buffalo score last year?

p.s. what's wrong with medium priced free agents? Especially on defense. They can produce for you. That way, when a offense player from the draft goes bust you can keep taking them. Also Patrick Kerney and Clements were an example of position not price. Sorry for the confusion.

Furthermore, the Detroit Lions are a prime example of a draft that was totally screwed up.

Instead of taking a wideout they could have had Adrian Peterson. Yea, the had two other starters. But look at them now. They are in need my friend. Instead of taking WR No 1. overall they could have gone after QBs and RBs.

2. Then why don't I know his number. He's a nothing. Finding someone cheap to compete with him is nothing that can't be done.

4. That's what I'm saying. Getting lucky in late rounds could really help Buffalo. Buffalo needs offensive players not defense. And I'm reading CB on the NFL Network and Scott Wrights mock draft. To me that's just stupid. How many points did Buffalo score last year?

p.s. what's wrong with medium priced free agents? Especially on defense. They can produce for you. That way, when a offense player from the draft goes bust you can keep taking them. Also Patrick Kerney and Clements were an example of position not price. Sorry for the confusion.

Furthermore, the Detroit Lions are a prime example of a draft that was totally screwed up.

Instead of taking a wideout they could have had Adrian Peterson. Yea, the had two other starters. But look at them now. They are in need my friend. Instead of taking WR No 1. overall they could have gone after QBs and RBs.

You don't know his number bc you are only looking on the surfuce and not studying your team. It appears that your draft strategy is not well thought out and lacks a true plan and you seem to be trying to back up your statements with knowledge you dont have. Please do more research when crafting these ideas and responses. It makes the board much more useful and you will get better feedback

4. That's what I'm saying. Getting lucky in late rounds could really help Buffalo. Buffalo needs offensive players not defense. And I'm reading CB on the NFL Network and Scott Wrights mock draft. To me that's just stupid. How many points did Buffalo score last year.

p.s. what's wrong with medium priced free agents. Especially on defense. They can produce for you. That way when a offense player from the draft goes bust you can keep taking them.

Ok we are working the list down, we're making progress! :ph34r:

2. Why you don't know his number has nothing to do with how good he is. Ask other posters, watch games from last year, he is plenty good enough to be the number two.

4. We were also one of the worst defensive teams in the league last year. We need help/ depth on both sides of the ball. And You say we need offensive players but are against taking a WR/ TE early. You can't take a chance on a late round pick and expect him to be great right away, especially when you need to make the playoffs.

Jauron said that we NEED to make the playoffs THIS year, he isn't going to trust the #2 WR spot on a late round pick. And comparing the Lions to ANY other team is like comparing a pony to a thorough-bred. Matt Millen is a moron, Picking A solid #2 with the eleventh pick isn't the same as picking a WR with 3 straight top 10 picks.

Pactrick Kearny wasn't mid-priced, he was VERY expensive. You don't just get a few mid level FA players and expect to win. The Giants had Mitchell and a few others, but they also drafted how many of their defesnive starters? And you could say the same about the pats*. How many players on their D-line were FA signings?

You don't know his number bc you are only looking on the surfuce and not studying your team. It appears that your draft strategy is not well thought out and lacks a true plan and you seem to be trying to back up your statements with knowledge you dont have. Please do more research when crafting these ideas and responses. It makes the board much more useful and you will get better feedback

You are talking about a player who is marginal at best and you're saying I'm not studying the team well enough. Give me a break.

Many teams follow my plan and it's sound. The Broncos are always bringing in RB talent. That's why they have a good running game. The Patroits always find defensive players that are too old but they seem to work out. They've taken some defensive players in the draft, but they don't load up on defense the way some teams do.

Minnesota had a great defense last year and their best players were free agents.

Talking about a WR or CB in the 1st round is a waste, plan and simple. And studying the team is not going to bring a better arguement for that.

Getting a QB (Ryan) and a running back Mendenhall is NOT far fetched. Let those other teams take the CBs.

Many teams follow my plan and it's sound. The Broncos are always bringing in RB talent. That's why they have a good running game. The Patroits always find defensive players that are too old but they seem to work out. They've taken some defensive players in the draft, but they don't load up on defense the way some teams do.

This seems to have evolved a LONG way from your initial post about DBs. Was that your plan... :ph34r:

2007 Pats Draft

Ok we are working the list down, we're making progress! :ph34r:

2. Why you don't know his number has nothing to do with how good he is. Ask other posters, watch games from last year, he is plenty good enough to be the number two.

4. We were also one of the worst defensive teams in the league last year. We need help/ depth on both sides of the ball. And You say we need offensive players but are against taking a WR/ TE early. You can't take a chance on a late round pick and expect him to be great right away, especially when you need to make the playoffs.

Jauron said that we NEED to make the playoffs THIS year, he isn't going to trust the #2 WR spot on a late round pick. And comparing the Lions to ANY other team is like comparing a pony to a thorough-bred. Matt Millen is a moron, Picking A solid #2 with the eleventh pick isn't the same as picking a WR with 3 straight top 10 picks.

Pactrick Kearny wasn't mid-priced, he was VERY expensive. You don't just get a few mid level FA players and expect to win. The Giants had Mitchell and a few others, but they also drafted how many of their defesnive starters? And you could say the same about the pats*. How many players on their D-line were FA signings?

2. The guy you're talking about (what's his name) is not a No. 2 back. You're crazy if you think he is.

3. yes you are right. Buffalo sucked on D last year. And the Bills did the right thing by addressing that in free agency. They got a run stuffer and a top notch player at the right position. OK now leave that defense alone until later in the draft (way later) or get a medium priced CB.

4. I'm saying don't waste the No. 1 pick on WR. I didn't say don't take them. If anything the Bills should take the QB Ryan if he falls. Get a WR in the second and go after a CB in the third at the very highest.

And Ryan falling that far is very very doable. Looking at some of the mock drafts prove it. Miami won't take a QB. They're going after a D player. The Chiefs are the only team that could take a QB. I don't buy Baltimore going after a QB. Getting Ryan or Stewart or Mendenhall can happen. It will happen. One will be available. Get a WR in the second round.

I just said Patrick Kerney wasn't a mid-priced free agent. I was comparing position vs. price. I just wouldn't spend that kind of money on a DB.

Roy Williams (Dallas) can't cover anyone. Get a clue. He's a good hitter but that's it.

This seems to have evolved a LONG way from your initial post about DBs. Was that your plan... :ph34r:

2007 Pats Draft

My post said: Don't take a DB or WR with the first pick.

Select offense skill positions in the draft, but take RB and QBs first. I said take a QB every year regardless. I also said take a RB every draft because they don't last long.

Tom Brady was taken in the sixth-round when Drew Bledsoe was the face of the franchise.

I said build your defense through free agency.

I can't understand why NFL teams draft so many DBs in the first round. It seems recent history points to that. And why take a DB when all we're ever told is how important the QB and running game is to success and a winning record and playoff victories.

My thinking is: The way the league is, it's better to draft offense and make a splash with fans.

If public perception is so important, I think drafting offense is the only way to go.

USE FREE AGENCY to sign the top defensive talent. Because defense is what wins games and it's better to go with proven players on defense. You can't have busts on defense and it seems teams have been having a lot of busts on defense lately.

Use him as trade bait to collect extra picks (not first rounders, too expensive) if he proves to be good, but not starting material on your team. I would draft a QB in any round. Including a first rounder. That way you could stock pile 2nd and 3rd rounders and build your team.

I would also draft a RB every year. Probably two RB's. They don't last long and you could always have quality players in the wings. Plus you could use them as trade bait if you get like three or four guys that are quality. Many teams like Tampa needed running backs. RBs go done more than QBs.

I wouldn't use a 1st rounder on O-line either. Too many Robert Gallery's, Mike Williams and Leonard Davis's out there. Take O-line in the later rounds and find those gems.

You mention some concepts which I tend to agree with......though you seem to make some rash assumptions.

On QBs.....

I assume you don't mean drafting one in the first round every year.......but drafting one every year is too frequent. They can take time to develop & you only have so many roster spots. I'd draft a QB every second year. I'd also never draft a QB in the 1st round unless I had the #1 pick.......the bust rate is similar for 1st round(non #1) picks to 2nd/3rd round......and not that much better than 4th/5th rounds.

Running game.....

Very big assumption that this is the product of a good RB. Generally it is the OL which helps create the good running game.....and much harder to achieve than getting a decent RB. Apart from QB, LT is the most important position on an offense. It not only enables your top QB to perform to his abilities but it opens up the running game. History shows that nearly every elite LT is obtained by drafting within the top 7 in the draft. Obtaining an elite LT should be a very high priority.

Signing FA defensive talent.....

Firstly, signing FAs is definitely no guarantee. Many, many FAs do not perform to the levels in their new team as with their original team......also, they typically require big contracts(over-paying).

As with nearly every position, the star players are rarely let go via FA. CB, LB, WR & RB are the 4 positions that from what I see are let go far more often than other positions.....maybe of recent times OG as well. You will rarely be able to get a star DT or DE via FA.

Busts....

Busts abound throughout the draft(as well as FA).....but the draft remains the only real way to obtain star players of the important positions.

I've done a good deal of research in this area & know that(as I stated) the worst is 1st round QBs. Though I have not done a comprehensive study it looks like there has been good success in recent times in drafting DTs in the first round. OG would perhaps also be a position which has a low 1st round bust rate.....even in the 2nd round.

Splash with fans???

I don't get this at all.

First your final quote is the closest thing to anything I agree with you on.

Your screen name is really almost everything I need to know about you. You're probably a Flutie Flake that thinks the Bills should have drafted Flutie number one instead of Bruce Smith. :ph34r:

Think about this logically. Teams in general keep three QB's and four or five RB's. So every year, since you want two RB's, a team would be spending three picks on guys who wouldn't make the team just based on numbers. That's three picks you're throwing out the window. So let's say that strategy gives the Bills the Best QB and best RB in the NFL. Who's going to block for them? Who's going to catch their passes? Who's going to keep the score low enough for the team to win? Those guys can be found with the three picks you're tossing out the window.

Defense wins championships and offense sells tickets. Defense is MUCH more important. A better than average QB and better than average RB are important too but a great O-Line can make both of those positions look better than they actually are. The lines are where football games are won and lost.

Can you name one team that uses your model to succeed?

So you suggest we draft QB's when you already have a QB, draft a RB when you already have a RB, and get a bunch of older/ more expensive defensive starters in free agency?

No thank you, we already fired Tom Donahoe.

:lol:

cb's really are the best high draft value.

they can play right away, very often are starters on their new team (and an upgrade).

they can be big impact players, they can really super charge your pass D, and they are soooo expensive to replace.

as much as a good pass rush helps your corners, corners help your pass rush. the giants went from OK to great rushing the passer by adding a couple of corners.

we went from very good to terrible by losing clements.

good teams have good corners.

Agreed, keeping Clements would have hamstrung the team for awhile. But losing him also cost the team. A team needs to keep the CB closet stocked at all times.

Buffalo could use another weapon at RB. What if you have an injury? The Bills don't have that luxury. The QB situation is muddled at best.

Keep talking about a wideout . . . makes no sense.

So in your opinion these QB's you'd keep drafting don't need anyone decent to throw to? A great QB won't do much with mediocre receivers.

1. I didn't say you said take a WR. Others have.

2. Sorry I'm not buying the Fred Jackson thing. What's his number? I don't even know.

3 Why wouldn't you have good WRs. I said focus on offense with QBs and RBs then WR next. But don't draft CBs and WR first and find good proven defensive help in FA.

4. I guess you missed Green Bay and Matt Hasselback. You missed Saint Louis and Kurt Warner and Marc Bulger. Bulger was a sixth round pick wasn't he?

5. Ryan could be had. Don't be sold on him going that high. Parcells is going to take defense.

6. Rookies do get huge bonuses so why waste it on an unproven defensive player. Take an offensive player. Chiefs and Larry Johnson and Priest Holmes.

S.F paid huge money for Nate Clemens. Did they make the playoffs?

Seattle paid huge money for Patrick Kerney. Did they make the playoffs?

Did I miss anything?

So knowing a players number makes them great? You can't be serious. Great backup players don't see the field a lot. When Lynch was injured Jackson came in and played very well.

And yes you've obviously missed a lot.

How does that work in madden?

;)

;)

My post said: Don't take a DB or WR with the first pick.

Select offense skill positions in the draft, but take RB and QBs first. I said take a QB every year regardless. I also said take a RB every draft because they don't last long.

Tom Brady was taken in the sixth-round when Drew Bledsoe was the face of the franchise.

I said build your defense through free agency.

Bledsoe was reaching the end of his career and it was thought that Brady would take a few years to groom. It was shocking how quickly he blossomed. The Pets* didn't draft Brady with the thought of making him the starter in his rookie season.

BTW, how many QB's and RB's that have made the Pets* teams in the last five years were drafted?

This isn't even a good FF strategy.

2. The guy you're talking about (what's his name) is not a No. 2 back. You're crazy if you think he is.

Seriously, if you don't know who Fred Jackson is, then you either didn't watch any games last year, or you drank WAY too much beer and just can't remember watching the bills last year.

Here

You should be able to see his number clearly here. Pay close attention to the play at the end of the video.

Here are his stats. That's right, he averaged 5.2 YPC. But I guess he sucks because you've never heard of him. :ph34r:

I'm done with this thread, you can continue to think the way you do, as there is no changing your mind. Just know, you'll be very disapointed on draft day.

First your final quote is the closest thing to anything I agree with you on.

Your screen name is really almost everything I need to know about you. You're probably a Flutie Flake that thinks the Bills should have drafted Flutie number one instead of Bruce Smith. :unsure:

Think about this logically. Teams in general keep three QB's and four or five RB's. So every year, since you want two RB's, a team would be spending three picks on guys who wouldn't make the team just based on numbers. That's three picks you're throwing out the window. So let's say that strategy gives the Bills the Best QB and best RB in the NFL. Who's going to block for them? Who's going to catch their passes? Who's going to keep the score low enough for the team to win? Those guys can be found with the three picks you're tossing out the window.

Defense wins championships and offense sells tickets. Defense is MUCH more important. A better than average QB and better than average RB are important too but a great O-Line can make both of those positions look better than they actually are. The lines are where football games are won and lost.

Can you name one team that uses your model to succeed?

Agreed, keeping Clements would have hamstrung the team for awhile. But losing him also cost the team. A team needs to keep the CB closet stocked at all times.

So in your opinion these QB's you'd keep drafting don't need anyone decent to throw to? A great QB won't do much with mediocre receivers.

So knowing a players number makes them great? You can't be serious. Great backup players don't see the field a lot. When Lynch was injured Jackson came in and played very well.

And yes you've obviously missed a lot.

:D

Bledsoe was reaching the end of his career and it was thought that Brady would take a few years to groom. It was shocking how quickly he blossomed. The Pets* didn't draft Brady with the thought of making him the starter in his rookie season.

BTW, how many QB's and RB's that have made the Pets* teams in the last five years were drafted?

This isn't even a good FF strategy.

I said that defense is what wins games. That's why I say get defense in FA. You no NOTHING about a player from college only. In FA you have a PROVEN track record.

Offense sells tickets and it takes longer to develop offensive players in the NFL. Therefore, home grown talent i.e. the draft is the best way to build an offensive team. Offensive line is the one position that takes the longest to develop, so getting a FA O-line men is likely to bring a bust from another team. O-line has to work together as a unit more so than any other position.

I can't understand why a team needs 10 defensive backs and 10 wideouts 10 linebackers and 4 tightends when coaches tell us how important that running game is. Why not invest more money in running backs. I'd have at least 6 running backs on my roster. Plus many RB play special teams anyway.

Also some teams only keep 2 QBs. That's just retarded. Keep three minimum. How many times have teams gone to "emergency QBs." I heard announcers say that about three or four teams this past year. To me that's unbelieveable. Yet they'll have 10 WR.

You mention some concepts which I tend to agree with......though you seem to make some rash assumptions.

On QBs.....

I assume you don't mean drafting one in the first round every year.......but drafting one every year is too frequent. They can take time to develop & you only have so many roster spots. I'd draft a QB every second year. I'd also never draft a QB in the 1st round unless I had the #1 pick.......the bust rate is similar for 1st round(non #1) picks to 2nd/3rd round......and not that much better than 4th/5th rounds.

Running game.....

Very big assumption that this is the product of a good RB. Generally it is the OL which helps create the good running game.....and much harder to achieve than getting a decent RB. Apart from QB, LT is the most important position on an offense. It not only enables your top QB to perform to his abilities but it opens up the running game. History shows that nearly every elite LT is obtained by drafting within the top 7 in the draft. Obtaining an elite LT should be a very high priority.

Signing FA defensive talent.....

Firstly, signing FAs is definitely no guarantee. Many, many FAs do not perform to the levels in their new team as with their original team......also, they typically require big contracts(over-paying).

As with nearly every position, the star players are rarely let go via FA. CB, LB, WR & RB are the 4 positions that from what I see are let go far more often than other positions.....maybe of recent times OG as well. You will rarely be able to get a star DT or DE via FA.

Busts....

Busts abound throughout the draft(as well as FA).....but the draft remains the only real way to obtain star players of the important positions.

I've done a good deal of research in this area & know that(as I stated) the worst is 1st round QBs. Though I have not done a comprehensive study it looks like there has been good success in recent times in drafting DTs in the first round. OG would perhaps also be a position which has a low 1st round bust rate.....even in the 2nd round.

Splash with fans???

I don't get this at all.

I'd agree with you about left tackle, and yes, I'd take a QB every year, but NOT in the first round. I'd take a six round pick very often. In other words, a "throw away pick". You never know when you're going to get lucky.

What I'm saying is you can use these picks as currency. If you find a good back in the sixth round, you can use him as trade bait, getting a third round choice for him. That way you can always stock pile in the draft without trading up.

Offense sells tickets and that's what I mean by making a splash with the fans. That's what the draft is all about.

I said that defense is what wins games. That's why I say get defense in FA. You no NOTHING about a player from college only. In FA you have a PROVEN track record.

Offense sells tickets and it takes longer to develop offensive players in the NFL. Therefore, home grown talent i.e. the draft is the best way to build an offensive team. Offensive line is the one position that takes the longest to develop, so getting a FA O-line men is likely to bring a bust from another team. O-line has to work together as a unit more so than any other position.

I can't understand why a team needs 10 defensive backs and 10 wideouts 10 linebackers and 4 tightends when coaches tell us how important that running game is. Why not invest more money in running backs. I'd have at least 6 running backs on my roster. Plus many RB play special teams anyway.

Also some teams only keep 2 QBs. That's just retarded. Keep three minimum. How many times have teams gone to "emergency QBs." I heard announcers say that about three or four teams this past year. To me that's unbelieveable. Yet they'll have 10 WR.

Your right its a complete guessing game and we should just pull aname out of a hat right? The draft is a very in depth, well planned process that teams go through for months in order to pick the best players who they believe will have success at the next level. There is tons of game tape, 40 times, injury reports, scouting reports, character reports, school records, wonderlic tests and coaches opinions. But its impossible to know anything right?

Seriously tho think out your draft statagey and apply for a front office. let us know how that turns out for you

Seriously, if you don't know who Fred Jackson is, then you either didn't watch any games last year, or you drank WAY too much beer and just can't remember watching the bills last year.

Here

You should be able to see his number clearly here. Pay close attention to the play at the end of the video.

Here are his stats. That's right, he averaged 5.2 YPC. But I guess he sucks because you've never heard of him. :unsure:

I'm done with this thread, you can continue to think the way you do, as there is no changing your mind. Just know, you'll be very disapointed on draft day.

I was thinking of another guy and I don't know who that was either. Sorry to Fred Jackson. I need to watch the Cleveland and Miami games. I recorded them, but I haven't watched them. I was wrong and I'm sorry.

Is that you Tom Donahoe?

May the scorched soul of Teflon Tom :unsure: never again be mentioned on this board.

I wonder how many of Ole' Whitey's Buffalo draft selections are still in the league?