Opinions on Oklahoma CB Reggie Smith?

Brandon

Just wondering if anyone has any information on the guy. It seems that the rankings are all over the board, given that he broke his toe late in the year and has yet to work out for the scouts.

The question I have is whether or not this guy is a legitimate sleeper for that 11th overall pick, or is it clearly too high? From what I gather, he's a very smart, high character player who fits the mold of a big, physical cover-2 CB and at worst, could transition into the FS spot for the Bills.

Just wondering if anyone has any information on the guy. It seems that the rankings are all over the board, given that he broke his toe late in the year and has yet to work out for the scouts.

The question I have is whether or not this guy is a legitimate sleeper for that 11th overall pick, or is it clearly too high? From what I gather, he's a very smart, high character player who fits the mold of a big, physical cover-2 CB and at worst, could transition into the FS spot for the Bills.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Don't draft from the OU secondary.

I would take McGee and Greer any day of the week, and certainly on Sundays, over Smith. Heck, I'd take Youboty over Smith.

I like him. Probably the best corner in the draft for run support. However, I am one who is hoping for a best player available approach in the 1st (Harvey?) which would leave us looking at a pass catcher in the second. One WILL fall to us (Thomas, Hardy, Keller, Doucet, F. Davis, M. Bennett, etc.).

If this happens, then the corner I like in the 3rd or 4th is Chevis Jackson out of LSU.

Reggie Smith

CB | (6'0", 199, 4.549) | OKLAHOMA

Strengths: A versatile playmaker. Has experience playing CB and DS on defense, as well as returning kicks and punts on special teams. Is a big, strong cornerback prospect with great agility for his size. Very quick and fluid. Can flip his hips and mirror receivers underneath. Displays very good burst out of his pedal. Very instinctive. Diagnoses plays quickly and does a great job of reading QB's eyes. Will get quick jumps on underneath throws. Shows adequate ball skills. Is also a very good open field tackler. Gets off of blocks well and is a physical, tough player at the CB position. Doesn't shy away from contact and will take receivers out of their routes with press-man coverage. Wraps up after the catch. Has enough vision, quickness and agility to contribute as a punt returner in the NFL.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal top-end speed both as a CB and RS. Is quick and fluid, but doesn't display elite closing burst when ball is in the air. Lack of ideal experience at cornerback is evident at times in his inconsistent footwork. Durability is only a recent concern but toe injury must be monitored.

Overall: Smith was a productive three-year starter and an extremely versatile contributor for Oklahoma. He shuttled between cornerback and strong safety, playing effectively at both positions, and returned punts and kickoffs. In his first two seasons in Norman, he posted a combined five interceptions, 11 pass break-ups, 88 tackles (six for losses) and two fumble recoveries. Last season Smith logged three interceptions, 11 pass break-ups, 78 tackles (seven for losses) and scored on a 61-yard fumble return. A broken toe kept him out of the Fiesta Bowl, though he otherwise proved durable. For his career, he averaged 21.9 yards per kickoff return and 7.3 yards per punt return (one TD). Smith's decision to leave school early was a bit surprising considering he finished his junior on the sideline with a toe injury. He has limited experience at cornerback and still has room to improve in terms of his overall technique at that position. However, Smith's combination of size and athleticism is very good. Plus, his versatility will be awfully intriguing to many NFL teams. He should come off the board at some point in Round 2.

They were talking about him on the local sports talk station in OKC and it was kind of interesting. First they said he has pretty much decided it is best for him to concentrate on being a saftey. I guess that is what scouts are telling him.

They also said he is one of the biggest enigmas of any player they have ever said. They stated if you asked 20 people abotu him 10 would think he was amazing and 10 would think he is not very good.

He was moved around a lot at OU (due to necassity). To me he is a tweener. He is a solid corner but not great. Same way at safety.