really cool article on the myth of building a strong NHL team

he doesn't really say how you build a winner, but Strachan makes a pretty strong case against building an NHL contender through high draft picks.

Fortunes won't change on picks alone

Listen to the average fan and he knows the answer: "You've got to build through the draft," he will say. "You need to start with good young kids and you only get them with high draft picks."

Nice theory. Totally wrong.

:thumbsup:

he doesn't really say how you build a winner, but Strachan makes a pretty strong case against building an NHL contender through high draft picks.

Fortunes won't change on picks alone

:thumbsup:

This is way to incomplete. What one needs to do is look at the rosters of all the current teams and come up with the # of players on the team that came through draft vs trades/FA. I can only speak to the Sabres, (but until the other night) a team at the bottom of that list, but one who has enjoyed success the last few years. 16 players on the ice through the draft!!! Thats where you see the impact, not a number assisnged to the pick order.

Put it to you this way. Would take my shot with some GMs picking 30th over others picking 6th.

Personally, I think the best way to build a team is to have a great scouting staff. Not necissarily to scout youngsters in JR. A or college, but other teams prospects in their system. Players that maybe they are not committed to or have given up on that you can get relatively cheap.

I can only speak to the Sabres, (but until the other night) a team at the bottom of that list, but one who has enjoyed success the last few years. 16 players on the ice through the draft!!!

The Sabres had success with Drury and Briere who were not draft picks of Buffalo. They are gone and we stink now

This is way to incomplete. What one needs to do is look at the rosters of all the current teams and come up with the # of players on the team that came through draft vs trades/FA. I can only speak to the Sabres, (but until the other night) a team at the bottom of that list, but one who has enjoyed success the last few years. 16 players on the ice through the draft!!! Thats where you see the impact, not a number assisnged to the pick order.

Put it to you this way. Would take my shot with some GMs picking 30th over others picking 6th.

I just don't get his point. The NHL draft is much more of a crapshoot than the NFL, but let's throw out critical analysis of individual team's draft strategies and selections in favor of a weighted scale that supports what appears to be a flawed theory?

Because Columbus and Florida have sucked at the draft and Detroit has done a better job with lower picks, that means using the draft to build a contender is the absolute wrong way to go? Did he look at teams 3-6 on his list and see the top two teams in the EC (Montreal and Pittsburgh) and two other teams within two-three points of making the playoffs for the first time in years (Wash. and Chicago?)

A lot of Detroit's success has been in finding great players through the draft. Datsyuk - 6th round pick, Zetterberg - 7th round pick, Holmstrom 10th round pick, etc. The foundation for a great team is built through good draft picks and development, then you use trades and FA to complete the puzzle.

I just don't get his point. The NHL draft is much more of a crapshoot than the NFL, but let's throw out critical analysis of individual team's draft strategies and selections in favor of a weighted scale that supports what appears to be a flawed theory?

Because Columbus and Florida have sucked at the draft and Detroit has done a better job with lower picks, that means using the draft to build a contender is the absolute wrong way to go? Did he look at teams 3-6 on his list and see the top two teams in the EC (Montreal and Pittsburgh) and two other teams within two-three points of making the playoffs for the first time in years (Wash. and Chicago?)

A lot of Detroit's success has been in finding great players through the draft. Datsyuk - 6th round pick, Zetterberg - 7th round pick, Holmstrom 10th round pick, etc. The foundation for a great team is built through good draft picks and development, then you use trades and FA to complete the puzzle.

ya, I think he's saying using 1st and 2nd rounders has not proven to be an effective strategy, not the draft itself