(OT) Cool new service via cell phone SMS

Fezmid

As a hint, try to figure out what those letters (mostly) spell. :(

Although I'm sure Steve will tell everyone once he gets the reply. And he may think it's lame, proving that I'm a really big geek :lol:

CW

Okay I have no idea what an SMS message is, or how to send one to this number?

69941[/snapback]

Most cell phones have the ability to send a "message" to a mailbox. In this case, the mailbox is just 46654. This isn't the same thing as dialing a phone number, but it should be in your phone's menus somewhere.

SMS messaging is really big everywhere but the US for some reason... But most carriers have the ability (although some charge between 2 and 10 cents per use; with my T-Mobile plan, I get around 400 messages free per month).

Either Steve is totally captivated by this new technology so that he can't reply, or he can't figure out the SMS either... :(

CW

I still dont get the difference between SMS and regular old txt messaging. I mean, on my phone (Nokia 6800) i have the ability to TXT message (which is called SMSing) and Mulitmedia message ... i think txt and sms are basically the same, correct?

69952[/snapback]

Yup, should be. I tried it on my t-mobile phone, and a coworker tried it on his Verizon phone (where it was called "txt messaging" on the menu), and both worked.

CW

It does a google search.  So?  I have internet capability already, why do I need this?

69962[/snapback]

because what happens if you need to do a google search:

in your car, on the crapper, on a runway waiting to takeoff, etc...

I guess..

My phone has full internet. Do i use it? Nope. I use the hell out of it for emails though, which is why i got the 6800.

It does a google search.  So?  I have internet capability already, why do I need this?

69962[/snapback]

Internet on your cell phone is *slow.* SMS is *very fast.*

True, if you're sitting at your PC you won't need it. But as Steve said, if you're somewhere else and need driving directions, etc, you can get it.

Regardless of your usage, it's still cool technology.

CW

Internet on your cell phone is *slow.*  SMS is *very fast.*

True, if you're sitting at your PC you won't need it.  But as Steve said, if you're somewhere else and need driving directions, etc, you can get it.

Regardless of your usage, it's still cool technology.

CW

69984[/snapback]

Ummm. I have Verizon network and get 128K on my internet. Very fast.

Ummm.  I have Verizon network and get 128K on my internet.  Very fast.

69995[/snapback]

SMS will still be faster. No pages to load, no forms to submit.

Besides, there's more to the internet than the Web.

CW

because what happens if you need to do a google search:

in your car, on the crapper, on a runway waiting to takeoff, etc...

I guess..

My phone has full internet. Do i use it? Nope. I use the hell out of it for emails though, which is why i got the 6800.

69968[/snapback]

I just found out I could use it to check my fantasy football scores on. Which to this day is the only thing I've ever used it for.

it doesnt work with sprint

Yeah it does. One of my coworkers has sprint and he tried it this afternoon.

http://www.google.com/sms/faq.html#using6

You have to go into SMS (or text messaging), and enter 46645 on the "to" line. You sure you have SMS service? (sometimes you have to pay extra for it I think).

CW

I just found out I could use it to check my fantasy football scores on.  Which to this day is the only thing I've ever used it for.

70062[/snapback]

If you got Verizon...you should do what I do and use it for the NFL scores each Sunday. Its sweet. I can get it sent to me each time they score or I could just have it sent to me at each quarter or I just have it sent at the end of each game. :lol:

http://verizon.vipprod.com/verizon/Display...131097804835478

If you got Verizon...you should do what I do and use it for the NFL scores each Sunday.  Its sweet.  I can get it sent to me each time they score or I could just have it sent to me at each quarter or I just have it sent at the end of each game.  :lol:

http://verizon.vipprod.com/verizon/Display...131097804835478

70578[/snapback]

TMobile has the same service (I use it for preseason games... :D. I'm guessing all the major carriers have a similar service.

Another cool thing I get every day from TMobile (and again, I'm sure everyone has a similar service) is a "Word of the day." Helps improve vocabulary. :doh: There's jokes, sayings, stock quotes, etc, etc. You select what days/times you want them sent to you. Cool, but not as cool as the Google SMS service :)

CW