Chris Landry on WDAE yesterday

He was asked about the Fins trading down and replied it was almost impossible to do now because of the HIGH ROOKIE salaries. No one wants that #1 pick anymore unless there is a STANDOUT player a certain team wants. He said the time to look for a trade down is just before the middle of the draft, where there will be a player that a team wants who has dropped & is a good value there. (Looks good for the Bills to make a trade down unless there is a player they covet there)

He was asked about the Fins trading down and replied it was almost impossible to do now because of the HIGH ROOKIE salaries. No one wants that #1 pick anymore unless there is a STANDOUT player a certain team wants. He said the time to look for a trade down is just before the middle of the draft, where there will be a player that a team wants who has dropped & is a good value there. (Looks good for the Bills to make a trade down unless there is a player they covet there)

I also agree.

Seems like a perfect spot, getting past the true blue chip players, and still high enough that someone will probably fall into that

area. Seems like someone always does for one reason or another.

The other thing is, unless one of the D-linemen falls, Buffalo really would have to look at trading down as the draft may be deepest

in the WR spot, which most concede is Buffalo's largest are of need.

If they could trade down and get decent value, pick up two WR's on the first day, I would concider that a great draft: stategically anyhow.

For what it's worth, I have always felt the draft is a numbers game: get as many quality players on the first day as you can, because you

are going to miss on some inevitably. Also, as the team gets better, the chance of lower round players even making the team decreases.

I am still surprised that there are not more trades in the early picks. I think what would have to happen is a team that throws Jimmy Johnsons value board out the window as it is no longer accurate.

The value of the number 1 pick is no longer quite the same. I guess my point is why would a team like Miami not swap the 1 pick overall to a team in the 5-10 range with say a third round pick included. Jimmys value board would say that is crazy or unfair value but with the rookies salaries it may no longer be the case.

I guess the Buffalo case could be would you trade our first and second pick for the number 1 overall and get the player of our choosing? Even then it may not be worth it. The cost of the number 1 pick and the cost of the second round pick still may be more than it is worth.

Who are the players that are likely to be drafted from the 10th spot to the 20th spot. That is where we will get a trade down scenario.

Last year, I think Green Bay tried to trade up to the 11th pick to get Lynch, but could not and we grabbed Lynch.

The same was for Brady Quinn...The Chiefs would have grabbed him at that 23rd spot and the Browns had to pay a premium to Dallas to get to the 22nd pick and get him....

I hate the cowboys....2 times in 4 years a team was forced to throw them a extra 1st rounder for trading up...

Outside of an aberration like the Herschel Walker to Minnesota trade that took place during the NFL season, the closer to "real-time" in a draft a deal is made, the better it should be for the team trading down. On draft day, a team in love with a specific player is far more likely to become "over generous" in pursuit of that player.

At the top pick the dynamics are different, but down the board a team willing to move down should gain an overall advantage by waiting based upon pick valuation. Of course, the actual picks may not turn out to fulfill any valuation prophecy at all since there's the element of teams wildly misjudging talent, but if we're going to trade down it's hard to imgine that thaking place until we're within hours of the draft- or more likely within a pick of 11.

I am still surprised that there are not more trades in the early picks. I think what would have to happen is a team that throws Jimmy Johnsons value board out the window as it is no longer accurate.

The value of the number 1 pick is no longer quite the same. I guess my point is why would a team like Miami not swap the 1 pick overall to a team in the 5-10 range with say a third round pick included. Jimmys value board would say that is crazy or unfair value but with the rookies salaries it may no longer be the case.

I guess the Buffalo case could be would you trade our first and second pick for the number 1 overall and get the player of our choosing? Even then it may not be worth it. The cost of the number 1 pick and the cost of the second round pick still may be more than it is worth.

In a draft like this years, there is no CLEAR CUT STAND OUT prospect everyone is drooling over. A team with the 5th pick probably feels they can get just as good a player there as @ #1 for a lot less $$$$$.