if this happens.......

playman

Don't tell me what teams I follow and what teams I don't.

Yes, the Eagles almost ALWAYS take a lineman with their first pick. Since 1990, they've had 17 first round picks, and 12 of them have been a lineman on either side of the ball. I am aware of this. I think they need an OT bad as well. I think they might add another DE in this draft, but certainly not in the 1st round, IMO. They have Cole, Abiamiri, Thomas, and keep in mind they still have Darren Howard coming off an injury, they haven't released him (yet).

Don't rule out the WR. They have been unhappy with that position and have tried to get players in there all offseason (Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald).

I wouldn't say that they've tried to get a WR in all off-season. They flirted with Moss at the last minute and Fitzgerald wasn't even an option unless AZ put him on the block which they repeated often that he wasn't. They've actually come out and said several times they their problems passing last year were not the WRs. And given how piss poor their pass protection and how hurt LJ Smith was that's probably pretty accurate. it's not like there has been a carousel of UFA WRs coming in the door. Frankly, most of the Fitzgerald talk was fan generated, i.e. not real.

Of Andy Reid's 1st rounders 5 of 8 have been lineman (no 1st rounder in 2007), the only others were McNabb, Lito Sheppard and Freddy Mitchell. Of the 20 1st and 2nd rounders he's had he's taken 8 lineman (Bunkley, Patterson, Justice, Andrews, McDougle, Abiramiri, Bobby (Holding #66) Williams, and Corey Simon) 3 WRs (Pinkston, Mitchell and Reggie Brown), 2 QBs (McNabb and Kolb), 1 TE (LJ Smith), 3 LBs (Caver, McCoy, and Barry Gardner) and 3 DBs (Sheppard, Sheldon Brown and Michael Lewis).

They've gone with lineman in round one every year since 2002. Two of the 3 WRs they picked in the first 2 rounds came from 2001 or earlier. They just don't use the picks that way. There has been one year where people weren't screaming for a WR (the year with TO) and it didn't matter.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.........But he has been no Amobi Okoye (who was a rookie this year for those of you that think Ellis will be warming the bench all year)......

Picking out one example and imply that it is a standard is not a reasonable argument.

In the last 10 drafts there has been 21 DTs selected within the top 16.

Of those 21, 13(62%) were not starters their rookie years......listed below.

Justin Harrell, Broderick Bunkley, Travis Johnson, Johnathan Sullivan, Jimmy Kennedy, Ty Warren, Ryan Sims, Wendell Bryant, Albert Haynesworth, Damione Lewis, Marcus Stroud, Anthony McFarland, Jason Peter

Picking out one example and imply that it is a standard is not a reasonable argument.

In the last 10 drafts there has been 21 DTs selected within the top 16.

Of those 21, 13(62%) were not starters their rookie years......listed below.

Justin Harrell, Broderick Bunkley, Travis Johnson, Johnathan Sullivan, Jimmy Kennedy, Ty Warren, Ryan Sims, Wendell Bryant, Albert Haynesworth, Damione Lewis, Marcus Stroud, Anthony McFarland, Jason Peter

Wow, Wendell Bryant. IIRC Larry Felser was all crazy for us to take him. Jason Peter was a winner too.

I didn't mean to imply that Ellis would be a starter, I just meant to say that McCargo will not be getting the majority of snaps with Ellis sitting on the bench. I think there would be a pretty solid rotation.

Totally agree.....particularly since we have a high rotation system.

IMO if Ellis did drop to us it would be wise to pick him. We might well be set at DT......but we may well still be weak. There are no guarantees that McCargo will develop into the level of player that we ultimately want(need)......and there is a reasonable possibility that Stroud will not fully recover from his injuries to his past levels as well as the whole substance abuse issue.

Even if both Stroud and McCargo both play at probowl level, the high rotation system we use will not only enable us to get a lot of use out of Ellis in the next few seasons but provide us with great flexibility when Stroud & McCargo come to the end of their contracts in 3 years time.

IMO if Ellis did drop to us it would be wise to pick him. We might well be set at DT......but we may well still be weak. There are no guarantees that McCargo will develop into the level of player that we ultimately want(need)......and there is a reasonable possibility that Stroud will not fully recover from his injuries to his past levels as well as the whole substance abuse issue.

Even if both Stroud and McCargo both play at probowl level, the high rotation system we use will not only enable us to get a lot of use out of Ellis in the next few seasons but provide us with great flexibility when Stroud & McCargo come to the end of their contracts in 3 years time.

And just to add on to that, I think that the Giants proved that you can never have enough dominant D-lineman. A solid line would really help out the D-backs and linebackers

But this doesn't jive with the view that adding Marcus Stroud is like waving a magic wand around frantically and has fixed all of this team's problems on the field.

Thankfully, we know that when a player wears the Buffalo Bills uniform, it is guaranteed that he won't get injured and miss any snaps. Therefore, the Bills can go one deep across the board and screw depth.

While I totally see your point I just dont see how we get better by using our top picks at backup positions.....

Our DT rotation would be awesome....unfortunately when we give the ball back to our offense Edwards doesn't have anybody to throw to but Evans.....and occasionally the other smallish receivers....

We NEED to get some young offensive weapons in here so Edwards can biuld some chemistry

While I totally see your point I just dont see how we get better by using our top picks at backup positions.....

Our DT rotation would be awesome....unfortunately when we give the ball back to our offense Edwards doesn't have anybody to throw to but Evans.....and occasionally the other smallish receivers....

We NEED to get some young offensive weapons in here so Edwards can biuld some chemistry

Fair enough. Here's my point: Ellis is a blue chip, stud player. If, and it is a big if, he falls to 11, I don't see how the Bills pass on him. If, and it is a big if, McCargo suddenly emerges as a Pro Bowler and Stroud gets his act together and Ellis delivers on his talent, then the Bills are in the enviable position of being able to deal one of them -or- they are not caught looking forlornly for a replacement when one of them bolts via free agency, etc. Being deep is a good thing and not something to shy away from.

Does this fix the offense? You are correct. No, this doesn't directly help the offense. It does, possibly help, in the defense might be able to get its keaster off the damn field once in a while...

Finally, this draft is supposedly very deep at the WR position. Is Devin Thomas really that much greater than, say, Manningham or Bennett or Nelson? Maybe he is, but it also sort of depends on what you think of Lee Evans and whether he is on his way out as the "#1 WR" in Buffalo. For that matter, was Manningham really that much better than Burton or his own teammate Arrington?

BTW, I sort of like Jackson from App. St., who's a pocket rocket and Franklin out of Mizzou as potential 2nd or 3rd rounders. Part of the Bills problems are that they just don't have the hard-core burners that can get open and force a defense to back off the ball.