The Vultures are circling at VT

ACor58

Of course, I was equally appalled when my dad yesterday sent me an email saying basically "Did you see what happened at Virginia Tech? Its probably terrorists. Keep an eye out at your school and stay safe".

Terrorists, huh?

I had a conversation with my dad on the phone and he brought up the VT mess...He said, "It was probably Marcus Vick."

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Brittany Spears Virginia Tech karaoke was bad enough. Now George W and Laura are coming to gain kudos for decrying senseless violence resulting in the death of innocent people...well...at least in Virginia.

Right. And a banner at the top of Hillary's website where people can send wishes to the Rutger's basketball team because of Imus' comments was nothing but sincerity on her behalf. :lol: :lol:

Plus, if the president wasn't there, about how long would it take for you to start bitching that the President should be there and is turning his back on the country? How about a freaking nanosecond...

I thought Brittany Spears Virginia Tech karaoke was bad enough. Now George W and Laura are coming to gain kudos for decrying senseless violence resulting in the death of innocent people...well...at least in Virginia.

And I'm sure you wouldn't criticize President Bush if he decided to say nothing about yesterday's killings. :lol:

Of course, I was equally appalled when my dad yesterday sent me an email saying basically "Did you see what happened at Virginia Tech? Its probably terrorists. Keep an eye out at your school and stay safe".
I'd be "appalled" if my dad told me to stay safe on campus on a day like yesterday too. :lol:

And who didn't at least consider the possibility that it was terrorists when the report was that the shooter(s) had locked students in the buildings and opened fire?

Right. And a banner at the top of Hillary's website where people can send wishes to the Rutger's basketball team because of Imus' comments was nothing but sincerity on her behalf. :lol: :lol:

Plus, if the president wasn't there, about how long would it take for you to start bitching that the President should be there and is turning his back on the country? How about a freaking nanosecond...

They're all politicians and are required by the political machine that is American Democracy to hit certain benchmarks and be certain places and smile for certain cameras at certain opportune moments, whether or not they are genuinely motivated by concern or not (which is funny: because a person can feel concern internally but also act in the public sphere in a way that seems contrived and superficial. One's internal feelings and external actions do not necessarily cancel the other out). This is hardly a Republican or Democratic issue but merely a general political one that is the mark of the beast, so to speak, as they are both "guilty" of it or engage in the necessary machinations, depending on your perspective.

I hope he pats the Chief of campus police on the back and tells him he's doin a hell of a job.

They're all politicians and are required by the political machine that is American Democracy to hit certain benchmarks and be certain places and smile for certain cameras at certain opportune moments, whether or not they are genuinely motivated by concern or not (which is funny: because a person can feel concern internally but also act in the public sphere in a way that seems contrived and superficial. One's internal feelings and external actions do not necessarily cancel the other out). This is hardly a Republican or Democratic issue but merely a general political one that is the mark of the beast, so to speak, as they are both "guilty" of it or engage in the necessary machinations, depending on your perspective.

I agree completely, and listening to a liberal bemoan the fact that the President showed up at the campus is essentially as embarrassing a statement as a person can make in this situation.

But hey...it's good for business.

I agree completely, and listening to a liberal bemoan the fact that the President showed up at the campus is essentially as embarrassing a statement as a person can make in this situation.

But hey...it's good for business.

But all these college campuses and university educators are flaming liberals, right? What exactly is a guy with a 7% approval rating with these people, and whom they are totally convinced put our nations young people in harm's way for no reason, going to say to comfort them? :lol:

I'd be "appalled" if my dad told me to stay safe on campus on a day like yesterday too. :lol:

And who didn't at least consider the possibility that it was terrorists when the report was that the shooter(s) had locked students in the buildings and opened fire?

Stuff like this is why I had the reaction that I did. Its not that he told me to stay safe, its that he and the rest of America love to jump to conclusions and overreact.

The implication that I should for some reason stay "more safe" than usual on a day because of something that happened in Virginia Tech is what bugs me.

But all these college campuses and university educators are flaming liberals, right? What exactly is a guy with a 7% approval rating with these people, and whom they are totally convinced put our nations young people in harm's way for no reason, going to say to comfort them? :lol:

I was talking about Tenny boy's criticism, not any one else's. But I guess I should expect it from him. Bush could single-handedly save Tenny from drowning in a river, and when Tenny was safe, he'd immediately blame Bush for pushing him in in the first place.

I was talking about Tenny boy's criticism, not any one else's. But I guess I should expect it from him. Bush could single-handedly save Tenny from drowning in a river, and when Tenny was safe, he'd immediately blame Bush for pushing him in in the first place.

That's the difference between Tenny and I. I would blame Bush for not pushing, or for saving in the first place.

I don't think it's a matter of he's going to wave his magic POTUS wand and comfort everyone. I think it's a matter of just showing up, which is essentially a symbolic act that represents the concern and sadness of the rest of us Americans who obviously can't do anything but say a prayer or some other equivalent gesture. Who are we to judge whether or not Bush visiting the campus does or does not offer some condolesence to people there? None of us are in that situation and thus if Bush showing up might help in some small way to some group of people, then the visit is a plus, imo.

I don't think it's a matter of he's going to wave his magic POTUS wand and comfort everyone. I think it's a matter of just showing up, which is essentially a symbolic act that represents the concern and sadness of the rest of us Americans who obviously can't do anything but say a prayer or some other equivalent gesture. Who are we to judge whether or not Bush visiting the campus does or does not offer some condolesence to people there? None of us are in that situation and thus if Bush showing up might help in some small way to some group of people, then the visit is a plus, imo.

And if it gets in the way, or becomes a sideshow, or the rest of the college has to prepare so much for a Presidential visit (which is an enormous undertaking) that it lessens more people's personal and collective grievance than it helps, which I believe it does, it is a minus. I don't care who it is, what party the President is from, etc.

I think the whole point in the original post was a commentary on how Bush will show a tender heart for innocent lives lost because of unjustified violence....Which depending on your political leanings could strike you as funny/sad/contradictory.

I think the whole point in the original post was a commentary on how Bush will show a tender heart for innocent lives lost because of unjustified violence....Which depending on your political leanings could strike you as funny/sad/contradictory.

I certainly see the point. I was just saying that as President, it's his job to do what he is doing and to expect a President not to do what he's doing is to not understand, imo, what role the POTUS plays in our society as of 2007. Any President would have gone to VaTech, democrat or republican, regardless of their current popularity (or lack thereof) or how hypocritical it may seem to a minority or majority of the population....

Normally, I'd agree with you.

But this is tenny.

So I'm pretty sure the original post was a commentary on Bush mincing around an aircraft carrier in a flight suit reading a goat story and picking his nose.