Tell me what you know about Nashville

udonkey

I've been with my current job for ~3.5 years, and the time is starting to come for a change of scenery. Several times in the past, my job has almost taken me elsewhere (including WNY), but I'm still in Cincinnati.

Lately, I've been applying like crazy for jobs posted on the internal board, mostly located in Nashville, TN and HQ, Round Rock (Austin), TX. This Wednesday, I have an interview for a position located in Nashville.

While I'm not going to get my hopes up, as this is interview #1, the more that I read about Nashville, the more that I think that it would be a great fit for me. Its got the Titans (I'll never change teams, but it'll be cool to stay in an NFL town), Predators, a Nascar track, Vanderbilt (to finish my degree and for college sports) great music, and most importantly, girls with that incredible southern accent.

I've already taken into account that if I move, I'm not going to be driving to Bills home games - found it pretty nice that there are a couple of airlines that fly Nashville-Buffalo (by way of another city) for ~$150-200, round trip, consistently.

The only negative that I can find, so far, is that the move would put me an extra ~250 miles (total ~480) away from home and my family and that I'd be starting over on the social scene (could be a good thing, I've burned a few bridges with the ladies here in Cincy :lol:).

Anyways, if you've been there, let me know what you think.

Things I know about Nashville....

- It's in Tennessee

Not a lot of people know this, but Don Adams of "Get Smart" fame provided the voice for Tennessee Tuxedo, and the voice of one of his sidekicks, Phineas J. Whoopee, was provided by Larry Storch, who later went on to fame playing Corporal Agarn in "F-Troop."

Stuff like this makes for great conversation in Tennessee.

Nashville is a great city. Printer's Row, the Lonestar Cafe and a whole bunch of great places with extremely attractive young women (apparently quite partial to guys fromCincinnatti, by the way). Nashville Predators hockey, Vanderbilt, MTSU football, and not all that far from UT games in Knoxville, which to be honest makes bills games at the Ralph look like South Park versus Bennet. There's plenty to do for a young single guy, and lots of things to be involved in. Plenty of Universities and colleges, and of course lots of music and folks connected to music. You'll love it.

And then there's something about music... I'll remember it eventually.

There's a great John Hiatt song called "Memphis in the Meantime," in which he is very eager to get out of the twangy Nashville music scene and hit the more progressive Memphis music scene.

"I need a little shot of that rhythm, baby

Mixed up with these country blues.

I want to trade in these old cowboy boots

For some fine Italian shoes.

"Forget the mousse and the hairspray, honey

We don't need none of that.

A little dab'll do ya, baby

Underneath a porkpie hat.

"And after we get good and greasy,

Baby we'll just go on home.

Put the cowhorns back on the Cadillac

And change the message on the code-a-phone."

Nashville is a great city. Printer's Row, the Lonestar Cafe and a whole bunch of great places with extremely attractive young women (apparently quite partial to guys fromCincinnatti, by the way). Nashville Predators hockey, Vanderbilt, MTSU football, and not all that far from UT games in Knoxville, which to be honest makes bills games at the Ralph look like South Park versus Bennet. There's plenty to do for a young single guy, and lots of things to be involved in. Plenty of Universities and colleges, and of course lots of music and folks connected to music. You'll love it.

Thanks for your input. From my research, I'm really getting sold on moving. My only hesitation would be if they'd want me to start in like 2 weeks; I have to train a replacement at work, line up a new apartment, etc. etc. It'd have to be a month or more.

I've been with my current job for ~3.5 years, and the time is starting to come for a change of scenery. Several times in the past, my job has almost taken me elsewhere (including WNY), but I'm still in Cincinnati.

Lately, I've been applying like crazy for jobs posted on the internal board, mostly located in Nashville, TN and HQ, Round Rock (Austin), TX. This Wednesday, I have an interview for a position located in Nashville.

While I'm not going to get my hopes up, as this is interview #1, the more that I read about Nashville, the more that I think that it would be a great fit for me. Its got the Titans (I'll never change teams, but it'll be cool to stay in an NFL town), Predators, a Nascar track, Vanderbilt (to finish my degree and for college sports) great music, and most importantly, girls with that incredible southern accent.

I've already taken into account that if I move, I'm not going to be driving to Bills home games - found it pretty nice that there are a couple of airlines that fly Nashville-Buffalo (by way of another city) for ~$150-200, round trip, consistently.

The only negative that I can find, so far, is that the move would put me an extra ~250 miles (total ~480) away from home and my family and that I'd be starting over on the social scene (could be a good thing, I've burned a few bridges with the ladies here in Cincy :lol:).

Anyways, if you've been there, let me know what you think.

I wholeheartedly endorse Nashville as an awesome place to live. In 2002 I graduated from Canisius College and at the same time my dad took a position in Nashville. As a Buffalo native, I was extremely apprehensive about moving to the "South". I was looking at going to grad school anyway, so I applied to Vanderbilt on a whim. I was sold on Nashville and Vanderbilt upon my first visit. I lived in Franklin with my parents for about 6 months, and only attended Vanderbilt for one semester. I ended up transferring to UB and moving back to Buffalo, but not because I didn't like Nashville or Vanderbilt, it was because I was having too much fun and not focusing on school. My parents still live in Franklin(15 miles south of Nashville) and they love it. I don't think they'll ever leave.

The area is growing extremely fast and is very cosmopolitan. I met very few people who were actually native to the area. Nissan is moving its corporate headquarters from California to a brand new huge ass facility in Franklin. I would consider moving back to the area myself once I finish grad school.

Also, it's really easy to get hockey tickets and they are dirt cheap in comparison to Sabres tickets.

If you have any specific questions, PM me.

TN is a low-tax State...need I say more?

The majority of revenue comes from a high sales tax, not income tax...so shop in Kentucky. IIRC, they do have hefty investment income taxation, so leave before you retire, and continue to keep your current fortune off-shore. :lol:

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/pf/070...endliest/8.html

Yeah, no state income tax in TN.

I wholeheartedly endorse Nashville as an awesome place to live. In 2002 I graduated from Canisius College and at the same time my dad took a position in Nashville. As a Buffalo native, I was extremely apprehensive about moving to the "South". I was looking at going to grad school anyway, so I applied to Vanderbilt on a whim. I was sold on Nashville and Vanderbilt upon my first visit. I lived in Franklin with my parents for about 6 months, and only attended Vanderbilt for one semester. I ended up transferring to UB and moving back to Buffalo, but not because I didn't like Nashville or Vanderbilt, it was because I was having too much fun and not focusing on school. My parents still live in Franklin(15 miles south of Nashville) and they love it. I don't think they'll ever leave.

The area is growing extremely fast and is very cosmopolitan. I met very few people who were actually native to the area. Nissan is moving its corporate headquarters from California to a brand new huge ass facility in Franklin. I would consider moving back to the area myself once I finish grad school.

Also, it's really easy to get hockey tickets and they are dirt cheap in comparison to Sabres tickets.

If you have any specific questions, PM me.

I should know more in a couple of days - I'll definitely hit you up if the interview goes well. Thanks!