Optimism for our young defense

OK, so we have 4 first day picks and might have to start a rookie or two again on the defense.. To suppliment what we take in the draft, the way i look at it, we are also getting an additional 1-2nd round talent DT and a 2-3 round talent CB this year.

Not sure what im talking about? Ashton Youboty didn't get any play last year, basically. He was projected last year to go as high as the first round. Thats why i was overjoyed when we tagged him in the 3rd round. Furthermore John McCargo was injured in week 5 i believe and his action in the first 4 games was limited. He was a projected 2nd rounder and a Bills 1st rd "reach".

Because we really dont know what to expect from these guys on the pro level yet its basically like getting two additional 1st day draft picks to join our club this season who have the benefit of learning the system for the past 11 months.

Its pouring rain down here in MD all day long as im sure it is in upstate NY so i thought id send a little sunshine via optimism.

I like the optimism and thank you for spreading sunshine in rochester too. The cloudiest city in america is... you guessed it, overcast and rainy.

He's to Youboty and Mccargo earning their paychecks :D

yup the roc,. shes my home town.. Gotta love the gray skies!

I've been a Youboty fan since his days at Ohio State (not an Ohio State fan though, uncle is.) He's tall, he's a great athlete, Nate-ish, and a very smart and good person. McCargo... never was a big McCargo fan, and was surprised when we picked him up.

With some beef, we could probably turn him in to a formidable DT, I don't care about this 1-technique/3-technique/84.93-technique crap, if we have a speedy and strong D-Line, we could have Josh Stamer/John DiGiorgio/Mario Haggan at LB and we'd be fine.

I like Walker, I think he's a great pickup, and with him, Tripplett, and McCargo/Williams shifting in and out, I think we'll do great on stopping the run.

I can't wait to see Youboty play, and I can't wait to see the look on John "Muppet" Clayton's face when he finishes with 5 picks this season.

I also agree that our young defense will surprise a lot of people. I think Keith Ellison will be unbelievable in 2007, and with Crowell healthy and plug in a stud LB in the draft...Willis, Poz, Timmons or Beason, thats a solid LB core. D line will be better against the run with McCargo and Walker as key additions and the continued development of Tripp and Kyle W. The key will be Youboty and his development and maybe adding one more CB and another solid safety for depth either via FA or the draft.

Go Bills...Top 12-15 D in 2007 and getting better by year end

I've been a Youboty fan since his days at Ohio State He's tall, he's a great athlete, Nate-ish.....

I can't wait to see Youboty play, and I can't wait to see the look on John "Muppet" Clayton's face when he finishes with 5 picks this season.

You think that Youboty is Nate-ish? ;)

And you think that in his first year against pro players he's going to have as many picks in one season as he did in his entire career against college players? :D

I suppose optimism is one word for it. :blink:

Youboty can play. McCargo can play is one of the nicest guys I've ever met. IMO Our D is gonna be pretty soild. I can see our starting secondary of Youboty, McGee, Whitner and Simpson being one of the best in the league maybe this year but certainly in a year or two. Our DEs work great together and are olny getting better. Our LBs are a small concern. We know we are drafting one in the first or second round, and we are going to have to trust the GM and HC that the guy they take can jump in start right now. Marv and Co. know they need an LB that can start right now so I am not worried about it. The DT that everyone says we need, to me is bogus. We got Tripplett, McCargo, Williams, that guy from Philly, and Anderson (who is not too good, but we got him). Thats four and half...maybe we take a guy in the later rounds and let him and Anderson fight for a roster spot. Also there is Hargrove who kinda played both DT and DE for us. I like where are D is going. I like where are offense is going too once we grad up Tony Hunt from PSU..or I guess Kenny Irons from Auburn.