You See, This Is What Confuses Me...

We can blast him about the draft as we wish (and the MW pick is as bad as one could imagine) and get really pissed, and then he will make a splendid move like he did today.

Nobody can make a case that Shaw was playing well. Now, TD just brought the team down several hundred thousand dollars toward the 05 cap.

We will not have to spend much on draft picks due to lack of a 1st, so this is gravy in terms of going after ufas. John Tait cost more than 30 million this year, right? Winstrom cost more than him. I am thrilled to see TD get cap room ready for next season by cutting a dancing a-hole. Imo, good GMs think this way. If Josh Reed's head stays inside of his a$$, he will be next. He can easily be replaced with a 3rd round pick, thus more cap savings.

TD is one slick dude. We are 0 and friggin 4 and he makes it tough for me to despise him. :lol::huh:

PS: Again, I am hoping that MM was behind this move, and I am pretty sure that to a degree, he was.

I really didn't know that much about Bobby Shaw. No one's gonna confuse him with Bills HOF Billy Shaw, that's for sure.

This should serve as a message to all the WR's, especially Josh Reed, whose nickname should be Cement Hands.

When the ball is thrown directly to you, you catch it. Is that so dang hard?

Mike

I am not sure that I agree that this is a splendid move. Maybe Shaw should have been cut in preseason, but I am not sure that he deserved to be embarassed in this fashion. Maybe he did something to deserve this treatment and, if so, I would like to know what it was.

In terms of the cap, I assume he could have been cut in the offseason with the same effects in terms of savings for next season.

I can only guess that TD and MM are trying to send a message. I have to wonder whether this move will help morale or anything else.

I am not sure that I agree that this is a splendid move.  Maybe Shaw should have been cut in preseason, but I am not sure that he deserved to be embarassed in this fashion.  Maybe he did something to deserve this treatment and, if so, I would like to know what it was.

In terms of the cap, I assume he could have been cut in the offseason with the same effects in terms of savings for next season. 

I can only guess that TD and MM are trying to send a message.  I have to wonder whether this move will help morale or anything else.

68836[/snapback]

Very good point, but GW seemed to be a bit too much of a "players' coach." Maybe this move came from MM specifically. Truthfully, that would be even better, don't you think?

The thing that seems odd is that this does not seem to be about an "incident" with either the coaches or other players. The players seemed surprised, so maybe that discounts my first thought which was that he was cut for missing meetings or poor attention to certain duties (i.e., route running, reads, etc.). I considered that maybe we were signing a free agent, but then I hear that Haddad is being elevated to the practice squad.

Overall, the timing of this is a mystery. Must be more to the story to be cut this way.

The thing that seems odd is that this does not seem to be about an "incident" with either the coaches or other players.  The players seemed surprised, so maybe that discounts my first thought which was that he was cut for missing meetings or poor attention to certain duties (i.e., route running, reads, etc.).  I considered that maybe we were signing a free agent, but then I hear that Haddad is being elevated to the practice squad.

Overall, the timing of this is a mystery.  Must be more to the story to be cut this way.

68865[/snapback]

Tough to truly know how surprised a player is, nor how much it matters. I could not expect a player to state, "Good, he sucked."

Dancing while losing, dropping passes and getting clonked in the head does go far toward getting cut, right? :huh:

We can blast him about the draft as we wish (and the MW pick is as bad as one could imagine) and get really pissed, and then he will make a splendid move like he did today.

Nobody can make a case that Shaw was playing well. Now, TD just brought the team down several hundred thousand dollars toward the 05 cap.

We will not have to spend much on draft picks due to lack of a 1st, so this is gravy in terms of going after ufas. John Tait cost more than 30 million this year, right? Winstrom cost more than him. I am thrilled to see TD get cap room ready for next season by cutting a dancing a-hole. Imo, good GMs think this way. If Josh Reed's head stays inside of his a$$, he will be next. He can easily be replaced with a 3rd round pick, thus more cap savings.

TD is one slick dude. We are 0 and friggin 4 and he makes it tough for me to despise him.  :lol:  :huh:

PS: Again, I am hoping that MM was behind this move, and I am pretty sure that to a degree, he was.

68809[/snapback]

TD was the friggin' a-hole who brought Shaw to the Bills in the first place. My Pittsburgh connection tells me Shaw was nothing but a dancing fool with the Steelers.

By what stretch of the imagination does this move deserve any praise?

Donahoe has finally learned the meaning of scapegoat?

We can blast him about the draft as we wish (and the MW pick is as bad as one could imagine)

68809[/snapback]

What I don't get is how people can blast TD about Mike Williams. Is it his fault the guy isn't playing to his potential? When he was drafted, he was considered the best Tackle available by almost all the scouts I remember. McKinnie was right there with him, but most agreed MW had more upside.

Everyone bitched and complained that we never used our 1st rounders on lineman, and then TD drafts the best one available. He isn't a damn fortune teller!

I put Josh Reed in this category as well. In his first year here he did very well for a rookie. For some reason since then his hands have turned to stone. For this I blame Reed, not TD.

Now, I will agree that his drafts have been sub-par, and in some cases downright bad. He also doesn't seem to have much of a clue about finding talent in late rounds, but he has drafted some good talent that is starting on this team right now. Hell, even Butler, the drafting guru, had some really bad draft classes.

What I don't get is how people can blast TD about Mike Williams.  Is it his fault the guy isn't playing to his potential?  When he was drafted, he was considered the best Tackle available by almost all the scouts I remember.  McKinnie was right there with him, but most agreed MW had more upside.

Everyone bitched and complained that we never used our 1st rounders on lineman, and then TD drafts the best one available.  He isn't a damn fortune teller!

I put Josh Reed in this category as well.  In his first year here he did very well for a rookie.  For some reason since then his hands have turned to stone.  For this I blame Reed, not TD.

Now, I will agree that his drafts have been sub-par, and in some cases downright bad.  He also doesn't seem to have much of a clue about finding talent in late rounds, but he has drafted some good talent that is starting on this team right now.  Hell, even Butler, the drafting guru, had some really bad draft classes.

68919[/snapback]

>>>He isn't a damn fortune teller!<<<

No sir, nor would I expect him to be, but McKinnie is a LT. They are much harder to find than RTs. In fact, many prominent players who play left tackle in college are not capable of doing so in the NFL, and wind up as Guards or RTs.

McKinnie did NOT allow a sack in his entire college stint at Miami. He went against Freeney while he was at Syracuse, and gave up ZERO sacks, tackles and assists! Although some say he had a slow start (which may very well be true), McKinnie is now just kicking ass at LT for the vikes, while Williams is overweight and under-achieving.

To make a long story short, do you think that the vikes would give us McKinnie for Big (Fat) Mike? Would any GM on any team rather have Big Mike than McKinnie?

Of course not.

Is there any doubt about this?

>>>He isn't a damn fortune teller!<<<

No sir, nor would I expect him to be, but McKinnie is a LT. They are much harder to find than RTs. In fact, many prominent players who play left tackle in college are not capable of doing so in the NFL, and wind up as Guards or RTs.

McKinnie did NOT allow a sack in his entire college stint at Miami. He went against Freeney while he was at Syracuse, and gave up ZERO sacks, tackles and assists! Although some say he had a slow start (which may very well be true), McKinnie is now just kicking ass at LT for the vikes, while Williams is overweight and under-achieving.

To make a long story short, do you think that the vikes would give us McKinnie for Big (Fat) Mike? Would any GM on any team rather have Big Mike than McKinnie?

Of course not.

Is there any doubt about this?

68941[/snapback]

No, I don't think there is any doubt about this. In fact, during the off-season before the draft when everyone was arguing about who was better and who who we should draft, I was rooting for McKinnie. I remember heated arguments somewhere in ICE's many McWhatever posts.

That said, I stand by my memory of MOST pro's that I read (Kiper for example) placing big Mike above McKinnie on their draft sheets.

At the time of the draft (not now looking back on things), whichever player TD chose should have been a great pick. TD has no control on what the players do after that. That is why I don't understand why people keep bringing up MW as a TD failure. It's a MW failure. Be pissed at him!

No, I don't think there is any doubt about this.  In fact, during the off-season before the draft when everyone was arguing about who was better and who who we should draft, I was rooting for McKinnie.  I remember heated arguments somewhere in ICE's many McWhatever posts. 

That said, I stand by my memory of MOST pro's that I read (Kiper for example) placing big Mike above McKinnie on their draft sheets.

At the time of the draft (not now looking back on things), whichever player TD chose should have been a great pick.  TD has no control on what the players do after that.  That is why I don't understand why people keep bringing up MW as a TD failure.  It's a MW failure.  Be pissed at him!

68960[/snapback]

Wow. My compliments on your memory! Most of those "McWhatever" posts were directed at me. :huh: My sig in those days was "Draft McKinnie."

TD went for an overweight RT, instead of a stud LT. Big Mike was already fat. The Buffalo Bills will suffer the consequences of this blunder for years to come with the salary cap.

Sorry, I blame TD.

I admit to posting that at one time Williams was playing better than McKinney, due to the holdout or whatever , I truly believe he was. I personally seen him in the few Minn. games I watched get bullrushed quite easily and beat around the corner a couple times as well. I now admit McKinney is playing better and a big mistake was made in that he plays left tackle, a crucial position as we all know, and taking a right tackle instead. I am not as down on Williams as you are though. I think he is far from a bust but is overpaid and was probably drafted about 10 slots too high. To sum it up though, it sure have been great to get that left tackle every team who doesn't have covets.

TD is one slick dude. We are 0 and friggin 4 and he makes it tough for me to despise him.  :lol:  :huh:

68809[/snapback]

Huh?

Shaw is NOTHING! He shouldn't have been on the 53-man to begin with. He was another one of TD's ridiculous signings that netted us zip. You can find WRs like him all over the place any time.