Lee Evans Hall of Fame Talent

Lee's stats are actually pretty solid for his first 3 years in the NFL:

178 rec, 2878 yds, 24 TD

Better than Moulds' first 3 years:

116 rec, 1941 yds, 11 TD

Also better than Andre Reed's first 3 years:

158 rec, 2128 yds, 16 TD

And - when factoring in the differences between supporting casts - comparable to Jerry Rice's first 3 years:

200 rec, 3575 yds, 40 TD

I think there's little doubt that Evans has HoF talent. The issue is whether the following occur throughout his career:

1. Team stability at the coaching level.

2. An improved Losman

3. An improved OL

4. A legitimate #2 WR to soften the coverage

5. Good health

I believe Moulds had HoF talent, as well, but he had none of the above (with the exception of point #4). Now look where he is...

When people speak of "talent" in regards to sports they're pretty much talking about natural athletic ability. For the QB position George had that in spades.

He did??? I dont remember seeing any of it other than the fact that he had a strong arm. He had very little athletic ability other than the strong arm. He wasnt fast,elusive,quick on his feet or quick with his eyes/reactions to see the field---all 'athletic' things that go into QBing if you want to quantify it that way.

He did??? I dont remember seeing any of it other than the fact that he had a strong arm. He had very little athletic ability other than the strong arm. He wasnt fast,elusive,quick on his feet or quick with his eyes/reactions to see the field---all 'athletic' things that go into QBing if you want to quantify it that way.

Fast and quick on his feet aren't things that a QB needs to be. In fact I can't think of many HoF QBs that had those things. We're not talking about RB or WR here, we're talking about QBs. George was the prototypical size for a QB, he could move around enough in the pocket (though nobody would confuse him for fast) and he had a gun for an arm. He is the prototype of what coaches look for in a QB.

Having a 10 cent head has nothing to do with "talent" in the sense that most people refer to the word. George didn't make good decisions and wasn't quick enough mentally for the game but his physical tools were nearly perfect for the position. If a coach had to tell you what their ideal is for a QB, physically, they'd say Jeff George. If you could put Peyton Manning's brain inside George's body you'd have the perfect drop back, pocket QB.

Kelso - i'm sure you know this but Moulds was on the pine his first two years. His '98 season was unbelievably sick if you go by the 'yds per attempt' and all that stuff that football outsiders uses that was mentioned in this chat (which I do cause it's the best).