Turner, Briggs, and the NFL Draft...

jri111

This is from Bills daily salary cap page:

NFL Projected 2007 Salary Cap Figure: approx. $112 Million

Bills Cap Money Allocated For 2007: approx. $91 Million: - The Bills are now under the cap by approx. $23 Million. as of 3/27

Bills Actual Money Allocated For 2007: approx. $100 Million: - The Bills are now under the cash to the cap money by approx. $12 Million. as of 3/27

http://www.billsdaily.com/frontoffice/salarycap.shtml

So Accroding to them we have $12 Million in the cash-to-cap to work with still. That's not a shabby number. Moving Takeo and Holcomb really helpped getting us some room. Although we need to reserved, i think like $10 million for draft picks, obviously if we trade for either Turner or Briggs we won't have as many draft picks to pay. Granted draft picks, even high round ones still wouldn't match the salary of Briggs and Turner, point being however, I think it could be done if that was the direction Marv and Co. want to go. Not saying that it is, but that it probably could be done... With that said here's an interesting senario that would work out pretty nicely.

For turner, the highest I would go is this year's second and a conditional pick next year (between 4th and 2nd depending on peformance - 2nd would be very hard to reach).

Briggs is interesting. Talks broke down between Washington and the Bears because of two reasons. First the Bears wanted another player (OLB) from the Skins to take Brigg's place. Second, the don't want the 6th pick and the large Signing bonus that comes along with it (This was evident in the Washington Post today, as they said the original trade between the teams could still happen if the Bears can find someone to trade down from the 6th with...i don't have a link, i read it in print, but i'm sure you can find it online if you want to).

Washington is handicapped in many ways. First, as I just stated, Chicago doesn't want the 6th pick, it's too rich for them. Second, the Skins don't have any other picks to offer of value. I know they don't have a second or third. I don't think they have a fourth either actually. So they can't offer much to Chicago in return.

Chicago, rightfully so, doesn't want to just give briggs up. As of right now they have a very good starting weak side LB. IF they only swap first rounders then they'll be sitting with the 6th pick where it's way to early to take any other OLB on the board (Willis is a non-issue with Urlacher in Chicago). If they go with another position with that pick, they'd still be without an outside 'backer. What they really want is a pick and a player, or another pick where they can get a player to to fill the hole and still able to get something extra in return.

Buffalo has picks to offer. They also have players. Essentailly we have two third rounders to play with and two players in Ellison and Wire (I wouldn't trade Ellison, he's young with potential and needed for depth, but he's in this for the sake of argument). The Bills also have the 12th pick, as opposed to the 6th which means ALOT less guranteed money. It's also a pick that you may be able to trade down more easily from because teams dont have to give up as much and there's more of a chance that some good players could slip to that posltion (Willis, Branch, Carkieer - sp?, etc...).

So Buffalo could offer a swap of first and one of the thrids. Or a swap of frist and Ellison or Wire. I bet Ellison would definitiley get the deal done, but as I said, I wouldn't do it. Maybe they'd considered Wire though. I don't know, he would at least provide depth. Maybe swap of firsts, wire and a 6th or 7th? Maybe that 's too much, i don't know. But the point being, The Bills have much more ammo then the Skins and I'm sure they could think of some fair trade.

So in my hypothetical sitation then I would trade our 2nd and a conditional pick in next year's draft for Turner and swap firsts with the Bears and offer one of our thrid's this year for Briggs. That would leave us with the 31st pick, Briggs, Turner, and a 3rd round pick.

Take the best LB available with the 31st and best CB/DT available with the 3rd.

Something like this...

Briggs

1st - Puz/Timmons/Beason

Turner

3rd -Daymeon Hughes

Getting two starting LB's a starting RB and a CB to compete with Youboyte and Thomas at the end of the first day in the draft wouldn't be too shabby in my opinion.

Will it happen - No. The Bills don't seem interested in Briggs and even if they were the economics would still be tight, even if it probably could be done. It what I would do though, and I'd be VERY happy with it!

Will it happen - No. The Bills don't seem interested in Briggs and even if they were the economics would still be tight, even if it probably could be done.

That's all I needed to read. If the Bears wouldn't give up Briggs to the Skins for the 1st round draft pick then he's not worth it.

That's all I needed to read. If the Bears wouldn't give up Briggs to the Skins for the 1st round draft pick then he's not worth it.

They wouldn't give Briggs to Washington because they didn't want the #6 pick (they are cheap and didn't want to have to pay out the money to a #6 pick)

The Bears wanted a proven NFL player to replace Briggs on the roster instead of the #6 pick. I can guarantee if the Bears made that deal with the 'Skins, Willis would be their pick to replace Briggs, so most here should be ecstatic this deal isn't going through

They wouldn't give Briggs to Washington because they didn't want the #6 pick (they are cheap and didn't want to have to pay out the money to a #6 pick)

The Bears wanted a proven NFL player to replace Briggs on the roster instead of the #6 pick. I can guarantee if the Bears made that deal with the 'Skins, Willis would be their pick to replace Briggs, so most here should be ecstatic this deal isn't going through

you're right, but i don't think it would be Willis. That's why I think they would want to be able to trade down somewhere in the mid-teens to get a guy like Poz or Timmons. But they don't want to just give up briggs for one of those guys stright up. Briggs is proven and they're not. That, along with the money at the 6th pick is why it fell through... They either want a pick and a player or two picks where they could get Brigg's replacement and have something to show for giving up such a good player.

Something like this...

Briggs

1st - Puz/Timmons/Beason

Turner

3rd -Daymeon Hughes

:wallbash:

Excellent...now go do it. Also, sign Ricky Williams for the vet min (figure out what we give Miami...that's not my job).

We're in good shape! Let's drink.

Unfortunately, I don't think we can pull it off, either

The Skins are not offering the #6 for Briggs, they are offering the #6 for Briggs + #31 BIG DIFFERENCE.

He is suggesting we offer our 12 for Briggs and thier 31 though, having us also throw in a 3rd or a LB.