We MUST have...

NewEra

running backs selected high in the draft is by no means a guarantee they will be great in the NFL. In the 1998 draft would you rather of had RB Curtis Enis at pick 5 overall or Ahman Green at pick 76? In 2002 would you rather of had William Green at #16 overall or Clinton Portis at #51 overall? Would you rather have Michael Bennet at #27 or Rudi Johnson at #100? Last year look at all the rookie RBs that contributed besides Mr Bush at pick 2:

1 2 Reggie Bush RB Southern California

1 21 Laurence Maroney RB Minnesota

1 27 DeAngelo Williams RB Memphis

1 30 Joseph Addai RB Louisiana State

2 45 LenDale White RB Southern California

2 60 Maurice Jones-Drew RB UCLA

3 74 Brian Calhoun RB Wisconsin

3 79 Jerious Norwood

6 170 Wali Lundy RB Virginia

Enough of the talk that we need to draft either Lynch or Peterson or the sky will fall please

Yeah but you have to FIND them, you have to find that guy among the 15 top rated guys.. That could take a few drafts, or decades.

running backs selected high in the draft is by no means a guarantee they will be great in the NFL. In the 1998 draft would you rather of had RB Curtis Enis at pick 5 overall or Ahman Green at pick 76? In 2002 would you rather of had William Green at #16 overall or Clinton Portis at #51 overall? Would you rather have Michael Bennet at #27 or Rudi Johnson at #100? Last year look at all the rookie RBs that contributed besides Mr Bush at pick 2:

1 2 Reggie Bush RB Southern California

1 21 Laurence Maroney RB Minnesota

1 27 DeAngelo Williams RB Memphis

1 30 Joseph Addai RB Louisiana State

2 45 LenDale White RB Southern California

2 60 Maurice Jones-Drew RB UCLA

3 74 Brian Calhoun RB Wisconsin

3 79 Jerious Norwood

6 170 Wali Lundy RB Virginia

Enough of the talk that we need to draft either Lynch or Peterson or the sky will fall please

If we want to give JP the best chance to progress as a QB, we need a good RB. COULD marshawn or peterson be the next curtis enis? of course. But I've watched a lot of college football over the last couple decades, and I'd bet my bottom dollar that both AP and ML will be studs in the league. And to answer your questions regarding Enis vs Green, Green vs Portis and Bennett vs Johnson: Im a die hard husker fan and never thought enis was any good: i would have chosen green....I watched portis torch too many teams to pick against him, and I may would have chosen bennett over johnson. I was never a BIG fan of bennett but i liked his big play ability. And if you would have put Bennett in a bengal uni and johnson in a viking uniform, Bennett may have turned out to be the better back.

To sum it up...I dont wanna HOPE we get a thurman in the 2nd round, I wanna know we got and OJ in the 1st. AP n ML will not disappoint unless injured.

The argument about RB's are easier to get up to speed in Year 1 is an attractive argument for me. If we don't get Turner, it'll have to someone who can play for us in Game 1 of Year 1. That's Peterson, Lynch, Turner.

I've spent hours looking at RB's in other rounds.

Here's what I got, along with their ability to help us Year 1.

(10/10) Peterson

(9.5) Lynch

(7.5) Antonio Pittman, Ohio State: Liability=lacks bulk, toughness, is raw

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fMhonqcbXv8

At the Combine he came in about ten solid pounds heavier than listed and tied Adrian Peterson and Chris Henry for fastest official 40 time. Also noteworthy was a terrific 6.84-second time in the cone drill. A bit raw; would do better to bulk and toughen for a few years. Would be good complement for A-Train.

(6) Kenny Irons, Auburn: Liability= size, can't receive passes yet, needs bulk.

video (1:48 mark) - http://youtube.com/watch?v=rzOQOOMId0c

Probably the 3rd Rated back heading into this season. Poor season, but very good combine except bench (17). Size is the low end of desirable for a feature RB and his skills in all facets of the passing game need a lot of development. Packers spent a long time with him. Not a pass receiver yet. Probably better in committee with another RB—must add bulk.

(6) Chris Henry, Arizona Liability = experience, attitude and dedication.

4.4 speed, 2nd fastest 10 yd and 20 yd time to A.P., best broad jump, best speed: weight ratio. Very under the radar up to combine. Henry was the workout warrior surprise of the Combine, including tying for the fastest time and longest broad jump (10’7”) by a RB in Indy. His other numbers were among the best by RB’s, as well, including 4.16 shuttle, 6.96 cone, 36” vertical, and 26 reps on the bench. Not surprisingly, he stood on those numbers at Arizona’s Pro Day. Buried on the depth chart most of his collegiate career, considering 2006 a breakout for him is a relative term. He started the first two games, although he was benched after 6 ineffective carries at LSU. He was suspended the following week, and then fell back in to a RBBC before starting, and being featured, the last four games of the season. With a year of eligibility left, his decision to enter the NFL draft was surprising considering his limited collegiate achievement. In addition, there are concerns about his attitude and dedication.

(4.5) Darius Walker: Liability=Not a feature back, more Shaud-like

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6h32lYOUksw

While lacking elite timed speed, Walker demonstrated some fairly impressive athletic skills at the Combine, including the best vertical (40 ½”) among all players. His manual timed speed in the 40 at Notre Dame’s Pro Day practically matched his Combine times. While not an elite talent, Walker is solid athletically and well-schooled in a pro-style offense where he was an effective weapon as a receiver and showed good durability. That makes him an appealing package at the next level, although probably not as a feature back. It would help if he had some return skills, but he is a low-risk Day Two pick for a team who needs depth in their backfield.

(4.0) Tony Hunt: Liability= quickness and agility, slower

Bench, had a decent 24 reps. Not participating appeared to have hurt him a bit, as Kenny Irons had a good showing and Chris Henry grabbed the spotlight as not just the most impressive athlete for a big back, but for all RBs at the Combine. At Penn State’s Pro Day, Hunt not only had two poor 40 times, but all his athletic test results were sub-par across the board for a RB. His 4.72 short shuttle and 7.39 cone drill, important tests of quickness and agility, are among the worst in this class. You have to question if he has the athleticism to be a consistently effective as a runner at the next level. I had been a big supporter of Hunt and with decent numbers thought he had a shot to go as high as the third back selected in this class, but now he now has to be considered more of a short-yardage role player type and perhaps a FB.

(3.0) Michael Bush Liability=injured, injury-prone.

video (4:29 mark) http://youtube.com/watch?v=rzOQOOMId0c

After breaking his right leg in the first half of the first game of this season, he had a titanium rod and two screws inserted… He was still walking with a limp on the sidelines at the Orange Bowl in January 07... Combine finally came and he declared the leg was not fully healed, so he would not work out. Almost another month passed and just before Pro Day, news came that Bush had a second surgery to remove the current rod and replace it with another because it wasn’t healing as expected… He is not expected to be ready to run before the draft. …Few backs his size (over 6’ and in the neighborhood of 250) in NFL history have succeeded... He also broke his right foot as a freshman and needed a screw inserted to stabilize it. A bone bruise to his left foot cost him two games in 2005 and after aggravating it, continued to hamper him in spring 2006, as well.

(3.0) DeShawn Wynn Liability=dedication, conditioning, durability.

High-risk, high-reward pick. A highly touted recruit, he had a rollercoaster career in which his dedication, conditioning, and durability have been questioned.

The argument about RB's are easier to get up to speed in Year 1 is an attractive argument for me. If we don't get Turner, it'll have to someone who can play for us in Game 1 of Year 1. That's Peterson, Lynch, Turner.

(10/10) Peterson

(9.5) Lynch

At the Combine he came in about ten solid pounds heavier than listed and tied Adrian Peterson and Chris Henry for fastest official 40 time. Also noteworthy was a terrific 6.84-second time in the cone drill. A bit raw; would do better to bulk and toughen for a few years. Would be good complement for A-Train.

Probably the 3rd Rated back heading into this season. Poor season, but very good combine except bench (17). Size is the low end of desirable for a feature RB and his skills in all facets of the passing game need a lot of development. Packers spent a long time with him. Not a pass receiver yet. Probably better in committee with another RB—must add bulk.

4.4 speed, 2nd fastest 10 yd and 20 yd time to A.P., best broad jump, best speed: weight ratio. Very under the radar up to combine. Henry was the workout warrior surprise of the Combine, including tying for the fastest time and longest broad jump (10’7”) by a RB in Indy. His other numbers were among the best by RB’s, as well, including 4.16 shuttle, 6.96 cone, 36” vertical, and 26 reps on the bench. Not surprisingly, he stood on those numbers at Arizona’s Pro Day. Buried on the depth chart most of his collegiate career, considering 2006 a breakout for him is a relative term. He started the first two games, although he was benched after 6 ineffective carries at LSU. He was suspended the following week, and then fell back in to a RBBC before starting, and being featured, the last four games of the season. With a year of eligibility left, his decision to enter the NFL draft was surprising considering his limited collegiate achievement. In addition, there are concerns about his attitude and dedication.

While lacking elite timed speed, Walker demonstrated some fairly impressive athletic skills at the Combine, including the best vertical (40 ½”) among all players. His manual timed speed in the 40 at Notre Dame’s Pro Day practically matched his Combine times. While not an elite talent, Walker is solid athletically and well-schooled in a pro-style offense where he was an effective weapon as a receiver and showed good durability. That makes him an appealing package at the next level, although probably not as a feature back. It would help if he had some return skills, but he is a low-risk Day Two pick for a team who needs depth in their backfield.

Bench, had a decent 24 reps. Not participating appeared to have hurt him a bit, as Kenny Irons had a good showing and Chris Henry grabbed the spotlight as not just the most impressive athlete for a big back, but for all RBs at the Combine. At Penn State’s Pro Day, Hunt not only had two poor 40 times, but all his athletic test results were sub-par across the board for a RB. His 4.72 short shuttle and 7.39 cone drill, important tests of quickness and agility, are among the worst in this class. You have to question if he has the athleticism to be a consistently effective as a runner at the next level. I had been a big supporter of Hunt and with decent numbers thought he had a shot to go as high as the third back selected in this class, but now he now has to be considered more of a short-yardage role player type and perhaps a FB.

After breaking his right leg in the first half of the first game of this season, he had a titanium rod and two screws inserted… He was still walking with a limp on the sidelines at the Orange Bowl in January 07... Combine finally came and he declared the leg was not fully healed, so he would not work out. Almost another month passed and just before Pro Day, news came that Bush had a second surgery to remove the current rod and replace it with another because it wasn’t healing as expected… He is not expected to be ready to run before the draft. …Few backs his size (over 6’ and in the neighborhood of 250) in NFL history have succeeded... He also broke his right foot as a freshman and needed a screw inserted to stabilize it. A bone bruise to his left foot cost him two games in 2005 and after aggravating it, continued to hamper him in spring 2006, as well.

High-risk, high-reward pick. A highly touted recruit, he had a rollercoaster career in which his dedication, conditioning, and durability have been questioned.

Good job linking the youtube videos. Ive seen those videos about 10 times each while trying to figure out who could handle the job of being OUR #1 RB. after watching those videos as well as cfball over the last few years, only Pittman seems to be a legitimate option other than AP and ML.

Those of you who think I dont know what I'm talking about, please look at the videos posted above. Then look at these http://youtube.com/watch?v=AmFM8MepDjE

Is it possible one of the other guys make it as a starting RB, sure its possible. AP and ML are studs, just look at the videos. Look at their ability compared to the others. Speed, power, agility, elusiveness.....they have it. The others have some componants, but are not the total package

(10/10) Peterson

(9.5) Lynch

Probably the 3rd Rated back heading into this season. Poor season, but very good combine except bench (17). Size is the low end of desirable for a feature RB and his skills in all facets of the passing game need a lot of development. Packers spent a long time with him.

Not a pass receiver yet. Probably better in committee with another RB—must add bulk.

you left out 2 guys who I think could fit immediately into a RBBC - Brandon Jackson and Lorenzo Booker whol will be available in the 3rd.

Would be especially potent if the Bills sign Chris Brown or trade for Ricky Williams.

If the Bills really think Fred JAckson has some talent, doesn't make sense to waste a #1 when they can get similar production from a RBBC.

you left out 2 guys who I think could fit immediately into a RBBC - Brandon Jackson and Lorenzo Booker whol will be available in the 3rd.

Would be especially potent if the Bills sign Chris Brown or trade for Ricky Williams.

If the Bills really think Fred JAckson has some talent, doesn't make sense to waste a #1 when they can get similar production from a RBBC.

Fred Jackson....Do you really think HE can help JP get to the next level? I don't.

Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch or Michael Turner as our starting RB next season.

While we do have holes on our defense, our biggest goal should still be setting JP up with the ingredients to allow him to flourish.

Our defense needs help, but we can get help with our other picks. We dont need any help on the DL. We need 1-2 LB and a CB. we have enough picks to fill those holes.

Hold on. No help on the D-line? I beg to differ. None of the tackles on this team have proved they are starting caliber. Good depth or rotational players, but none that are headed to the pro bowl any time soon. The middle of the Bills defense scares nobody. They need a difference maker in there. If you can't get opposing teams off the field on 3rd and short with some regularity, it will be a long season no matter what the rest of the team looks like IMO.

Good job linking the youtube videos. Ive seen those videos about 10 times each while trying to figure out who could handle the job of being OUR #1 RB. after watching those videos as well as cfball over the last few years, only Pittman seems to be a legitimate option other than AP and ML.

Those of you who think I dont know what I'm talking about, please look at the videos posted above. Then look at these http://youtube.com/watch?v=AmFM8MepDjE

Is it possible one of the other guys make it as a starting RB, sure its possible. AP and ML are studs, just look at the videos. Look at their ability compared to the others. Speed, power, agility, elusiveness.....they have it. The others have some componants, but are not the total package

I love the way Lynch NEVER gives up. He and Peterson both run hard and with alot of competitiveness(to go with great skills). Peterson looks incredible too, but I see him standing straight up in the middle of the the line sometimes. I can see him getting hurt alot though he may be the one that is more talented. Lynch looks so good in traffic. I would be happy with either guy.

the logic of this thread assumes that a great HB will take a QB to the next level...I'm saying why can't it be vise versa?

Because, at this time, JP isnt good enough. can he be? yeah, but he needs the help.

As for our DL...we have enough money tied up and we have enough bodies to rotate people in and keep everyone fresh. Will we SCARE anyone? NO. would adding 1 person in the draft SCARE anyone? NO. so whats your point?

For the record....I would be perfectly happy with A train as our starter this next year....

They guy can run, block and catch......he hits holes hard which should be available with this revamped line.....

What makes anyone think anthony thomas can be a starting rb? There's a reason he hasn't been a starter in 3 years. He lacks speed, initial quickness, has no speed to turn the corner. Is not any kind of a big play threat as evidenced by his 2 runs over 20 yards in his last 272 rushing attempts. What he lacks in any kind of speed he does have decent vision and follows blocks well. The problem is he's a whole beat slow being patient that he'll often get tackled before a play develops.

What is described as "hitting holes hard" is having the ability to follow blocks. A lot of times he's hesistant to plow straight foward and instead tries to finese his way down the line and a few times he will catch a slight crease, but once thru lacks the quickness to shake off a defender and the unwillingness to plow thru him. He's a slow power back with poor leg drive making him a liability on short yardage and redzone situations. He's also not much of a receiver. He is able to be a good checkdown man but has no ability to do anything with the ball in his hands.

All in all the runningback situation worries me. It's bad enough we lack playmakers on offense, outside of evans, and while the oline "upgrades" should help offensive production you still need players who make plays. Anthony Thomas as a backup is fine and if need be can share carries in a dual role. However we are not the denver broncos. Runningbacks don't grow off trees, and anyone who knows anything about the game can tell you in the afc east in novemeber and december if you can't make plays running the ball you won't win very many football games. Asking Anthony Thomas and some guy from NFLE to be your mainstay rb's wreaks of desperation.

10 Peterson Liabilitys: runs too upright, INJURED 2 YEARS IN A ROW = INJURY PRONE I do not understand the love for a player who has missed significant time 2 years in a row no matter how talented. I think the chance of him being hurt 3 years in a row are more likely than not. I do not see him having a long carreer with his running style.

Hold on. No help on the D-line? I beg to differ. None of the tackles on this team have proved they are starting caliber. Good depth or rotational players, but none that are headed to the pro bowl any time soon. The middle of the Bills defense scares nobody. They need a difference maker in there. If you can't get opposing teams off the field on 3rd and short with some regularity, it will be a long season no matter what the rest of the team looks like IMO.
1st rd pick if available patrick willis if not than it will be poz not marshawn.

2nd rd - trade for turner for this years 2nd and our first pick in next years

3rd rd and a late rd pick.

bills will draft DT justin harrell or quinn pitcock in the 3rd rd. harrell excels at run stopping with speed. he ran a 5.10 at the combine. okoye ran a 5.10 . harrell consistently disrupts the run but lacks pass rushing awarenesss and ability. hes 6ft 4 and 303 lbs. tennessee. projected 3rd rd

quinn pitcock - ohio state- 6ft 3 301lbs. 5.12 4o yd dash. high effort player whose powerful,disciplined, and active run defender who displays non stop motor and good initial quickness as a pass rusher. lacks explosiveness. projected 3rd rd pick

marv is too smart to ignore biggest weakness on team. CB with second 3rd rd pick and TE with our 4th rd pick. hopefully ben patrick - deleware . give me this draft and ill do cartwheels.