Best Free Agents left???

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

John McCargo is simply an unproven commodity. How you put faith into a player who broke the same foot he did in college, played in five games his rookie year with few impact plays, and did not start as a rookie first round pick (and was beaten out by a 5th rounder with less potential) I'll never know. Just because a player put on 5 pounds of muscle, does that instantly make him a better player? It most surely does not. Walker is a good add, but he's a pass rushing DT, not the type who can play the run. And if Anthony Hargrove is so good, why didn't Buffalo let Kelsay walk in FA? They're both DE's, but Hargrove was used as a pass rushing DT at 272 lbs last season because they didn't have a better option. Walker will fill that spot in obvious passing downs I'd imagine this year.

McCargo was starting to play well before getting injured, so it's not like I'm pulling stuff out of my backside here. And in his most recent surgery, they inserted a screw to stabilize his foot, which they didn't do the first time. Being that he's a former 1st round pick, I think I have reason to expect him to be a major contributor, along with Kyle Williams, in his 2nd year in the NFL. And why not keep Kelsay AND Hargrove? They have the money and Kelsay is a good player and person to have in the lockerroom.

DeMeco Ryans had an outstanding season, mostly because the front four in Houston was so bad. I've said it before, you will see lots of tackles from DB's and LB's when your front four is poor in run defense. Houston surrendered 5400 total yards last season. (122.3 rypg) Buffalo gave up 5273. (140.9 rypg) While total yards aren't the only indicator of a defense and can be used out of context, it's safe to say neither team was strong against the run, allowing guys like LFB and Ryans to make loads of tackles.
Your contention is that letting LFB go was a mistake yet you bash Ryans. Which is it? Also take into consideration that Ryans is 9 years younger than LFB and hasn't even reached his prime yet. Again, the point is YOURS, i.e. that you can find good players in the draft.
It comes down to this simple fact. We overestimate our players to make ourselves feel better. Same goes for our draft picks. We lose objectivity because we need to feel our picks are so much better and counter the NFL "experts." Those same experts were harsh with their assessment of our 06 draft class last season, but check back to see how many 06 picks remain in 2 years. And if Terrance Pennington is good, why did the front office decide to acquire Langston Walker? After all, if Marv is so highly trusted among fans to make the good decisions, he wouldn't get anyone to challenge Pennington if the latter was worthy of the starting nod.

So the answer is to UNDERestimate our players? Sure, that's the easy thing to do. And again the point was that Pennington was a late-round pick, like O'Callaghan was for the Pats. I don't know if O'Callaghan has the RT spot sewn-up (he started mostly because former starter Nick Kazcur was injured) but competition is always a good thing, when you can add it.

Lavars career seems to be done if we take him we might as well of kept spikes, hes going to be expensive

Huh? career seems to be done, yet somehow he would be expensive to sign? I'm confused.

If he was willing to play for at or near the minimum with incentives on a one year contract, I'd consider it. If his only other option is making eastern motors commercials, he might consider it.

McCargo was starting to play well before getting injured, so it's not like I'm pulling stuff out of my backside here. And in his most recent surgery, they inserted a screw to stabilize his foot, which they didn't do the first time. Being that he's a former 1st round pick, I think I have reason to expect him to be a major contributor, along with Kyle Williams, in his 2nd year in the NFL. And why not keep Kelsay AND Hargrove? They have the money and Kelsay is a good player and person to have in the lockerroom.

Your contention is that letting LFB go was a mistake yet you bash Ryans. Which is it? Also take into consideration that Ryans is 9 years younger than LFB and hasn't even reached his prime yet. Again, the point is YOURS, i.e. that you can find good players in the draft.

So the answer is to UNDERestimate our players? Sure, that's the easy thing to do. And again the point was that Pennington was a late-round pick, like O'Callaghan was for the Pats. I don't know if O'Callaghan has the RT spot sewn-up (he started mostly because former starter Nick Kazcur was injured) but competition is always a good thing, when you can add it.

Who says McCargo was starting to play well? Some on this board have, but I really haven't seen it officially from anyone outside the team sources. And I'm not sure about you, but having a screw placed into his foot is not something I'm counting on as a plus for next season. He's now broken the same foot twice in three years? It's frightening that he might do it again. And former first round picks aren't locks, no matter where they're selected and by whom. You have nothing in the way of play to expect him to be a solid contributor, his body of work is so miniscule. In the games I recall seeing him it was hard to know whether he was on the field. The same holds true for Youboty.

And not once in that whole post did I talk about keeping LFB or anything remotely close to the idea. Don't put words into my mouth. The fact remains that a porous front four means lots of tackles for LB's and DB's because the front cannot shed blockers and make plays within the LOS. Just making good tackles is not indicative of being a good player.

I'm not underestimating our players at all. I'm giving you a realistic assessment. You're not objectively looking at our draft picks and placing a value on tackles that isn't there. Let's be honest, if you can't accurately grade a player after their first year that should hold true whether we think they're good or bad. In the NFL, the right side of the OL is usually the run-blocking side. We couldn't run behind Pennington last season. 7th round picks are selected there for their potential. And Terrance Pennington's potential is modest. We can hope he develops further, but I do not put a lot of faith in late round draft picks. Even a team like NE doesn't get many guys from the fifth round and below, and they seem to be the standard for how to draft successfully in late rounds.

I've read that McCargo was starting to play better before getting injured from the "experts." I'll try to dig up the articles if I can find them. And the fact that he had the screw placed makes me less worried than if they'd merely just operated on his foot again and done nothing different. Still though, taking the "we'll suck because nothing has changed" is the easy fallback position. The market was weak for DT's this year and there's no guarantee a rookie DT will do anything for the Bills, so expecting improvement from the youngsters and Darwin Walker seems reasonable to me, again based on what we HAVE seen (I agree on Youboty, who is wholly unproven). I mean, it's not like I looking for Tim Anderson to be the savior. And remember this is everyone's second year in the system.

As for Ryans, I doubt the people voting on him for DROTY based solely on his tackle stats. If that was the case, LFB would have made the Pro Bowl sometime in the last 5 years. Using your words, the Bills can find good players in the draft. Unless you think that the Bills are the only team unable to do so.

And my example on Pennington was merely an example. The better example was when I mentioned Jason Peters.

really a shame we didn't land cato june.......he came cheap for TB, is experienced in the cover 2, and would have been a great fit for us in the middle........

now that he is off the board, i don't see much else out there that is interesting, although i hope we do sign a LB or RB or CB before the draft to give us some flexability on draft day