Heading to Montreal for Sabres/Habs

EZC-Boston

Heading up to Montreal for the 3rd time to catch the Sabres beat up on Les Habitants. Anybody been up there before? We're staying at the Sheraton across from the Bell Centre. Looking for suggestions for places to eat, things to do and nightspots to hit. We're more bar than club guys, unless of course we're talking strip club. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

In the past we've eaten mostly and the Hard Rock and Peels pub and hit up Chez Paris. We're looking to branch out a little bit.

Not sure what you have on the agenda, but if you are looking for an excellent meal, go to The Globe restaurant (the website is fairly annoying.) I was in Montreal for a bachelor party, and we went there to eat and had an incredible meal. Very, very tasty. Then, as dinner is winding down, all of the sudden music came on, and several EXTREMELY hot waitresses got up and started dancing on the tables. Very classy and very hot and sexual. The dinner was expensive but I walked out of there thinking that it was one of the greatest places on Earth.

It is a real restaurant and not a 'gentleman's club,' so the dancing on the tables was completely unexpected, but thoroughly enjoyed. A friend of mine got a waitresses' cell number and called her that night and gave her the business. Overall, a quality establishment.

Not sure what you have on the agenda, but if you are looking for an excellent meal, go to The Globe restaurant (the website is fairly annoying.) I was in Montreal for a bachelor party, and we went there to eat and had an incredible meal. Very, very tasty. Then, as dinner is winding down, all of the sudden music came on, and several EXTREMELY hot waitresses got up and started dancing on the tables. Very classy and very hot and sexual. The dinner was expensive but I walked out of there thinking that it was one of the greatest places on Earth.

It is a real restaurant and not a 'gentleman's club,' so the dancing on the tables was completely unexpected, but thoroughly enjoyed. A friend of mine got a waitresses' cell number and called her that night and gave her the business. Overall, a quality establishment.

Been to The Globe. EXTREMELY hot hostesses, but VERY expensive dinner. I'd suggest the best of both worlds....walk down St. Laurent (where The Globe is) and take in the "sights" :nana: ...pass all the pricey joints while scanning for hot women in the windows, and head to a place where you can eat and drink all night without paying for it in monthly installments.

Have fun.

http://www.schwartzsdeli.com/index2.html

Montreal Smoked Meat!!! Schwartz's is the best. There are good places downtown, but I'd stay away from Ben's. Overpriced and not that good. I think there is a place called "Duff's" or something similar just off St.Catherine's that is open 24/7 and is awesome.

All strip clubs on St.Catherines are good but pricey. But if you are looking for something more than a lap dance you have to go out to the suburbs. Any bar on Crescent Street will fit the bill.

Oh and if you want something a little different for breakfast, go to Chinatown and have dim sum at the Ruby Rouge. (I think it's on St.Urbain)

PTR

Been to The Globe. EXTREMELY hot hostesses, but VERY expensive dinner. I'd suggest the best of both worlds....walk down St. Laurent (where The Globe is) and take in the "sights" :nana: ...pass all the pricey joints, and head to a place where you can eat and drink all night without paying for it in monthly installments.

Have fun.

How expensive are we talking at The Globe?

How expensive are we talking at The Globe?

In Canadian currency:

Apps in the $12-$20 range.

Entrees in the $25-$45 range.

Plus drinks. It's always the drinks that does it.

We had about 15 people at dinner, most drinking liquor...The bill was astronomical, but we were blindly turning over hundreds of dollars after our incredibly sexy waitress started dancing on our table.

In Canadian currency:

Apps in the $12-$20 range.

Entrees in the $25-$45 range.

Plus drinks. It's always the drinks that does it.

We had about 15 people at dinner, most drinking liquor...The bill was astronomical, but we were blindly turning over hundreds of dollars after our incredibly sexy waitress started dancing on our table.

oh for the good ol days when $200 got you $300 in Canada....back in 1997-2000 when I made this trip annually...this was before I became washed up

At some point Meazza might post on this as he lives in Montreal. I visit Montreal every summer for their film festival. Summer is a very cool time to be in Montreal. It is starting to thaw right now in Montreal so the ladies will be out. I must add that Montreal women are elegant and sexy. But they smoke way too much for me. But you'll work with it!

The Sheraton is walking distance from the Bell Centre, Crescent Street and Chez Parée. I am not a big fan of Crescent Street. Rue St. Laurent is better for bars and restaurants but there is a maturity problem with tons of "first year" students learning their way in regards to drinking (drinking age is 18). Some of the bars are "draft beer served in plastic cup" places while some others are more classy. You should be able to tell the difference just by seeing how people dress. Rue St. Denis has a little different flavor to it but doesn't have as many restaurants and bars. By venturing out to those two streets you will do much better than the Hard Rock and Peel Street Pub. I believe Peel Street Pub has the Sunday chicken wing deal but the place doesn't even have a bar to sit down at.

Crescent Street is in a more English part of town while St. Laurent and St. Denis are decidely more French although you will find both in either location. It has a lot to do with the universities in each area with Concordia (English) being close to Crescent and the University of Quebec (UQAM) and the University of Montreal in the French part. McGill is in the middle. I prefer the French area. Montreal is well known for coffee, pizza, poutine (it takes explaining - some potato and cheese something or other), culture, ethnic food (the deli's), bars and yes, the "dance academies". I would google that one! Walking up St. Catherine you will see quite a few. Pick and choose! Be wary of some of these places (Chez Parée) where Bluto type doormen try to extort your money as you enter. Quebec is different than the other provinces in that you can buy beer at the grocery sores and corner markets. No Brewer's Retail necessary! The beer is expensive! To get to St Laurent and St Denis from the Sheraton you could walk but it is a long walk. Take the taxi. The subway can also get you around quicker but then you lose sight of places you may want to check out (Les Danseuses!).

Here are a couple of links that may help:

http://www.montrealplus.ca/

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/index.html

And for web cams:

http://montrealcam.com/ (the downtown cam is of the St Catherine and Peel St, intersection).

I could supply you with more but this will help get you started. By the way how did you get tickets?

Also, for sports bar Champs on St. Laurent has lots of screens. Parc Mont Royal is beautiful.

Have fun! And Go Sabres!!!!