Thanks for Spikes, Holcomb, best of luck with Walker, 7th rdr

At least you believe me that Im really not one of your own, and no troll.

Look, its clear this forum doesnt really welcome other team's fans.

Guess thats cool, its your site.

Nah we don't mind other fans, just hate f*cking dorks!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Booster- am I baiting or am I discussing Football?

Diferent players? The Deal? Past moves by the front office? Draft Day wishes?

Good GOD, persecution complex or what dude?

Nope, not at all. I am proud of my football team and I think we are taking the right steps so far. I could care less what the media thinks about us as they are usually wrong over half the time. You just picked the appropriate time to troll is all.

As to the trade, I addressed that somewhat in other posts on this board, which you would know if you bothered to read it. You may indeed have a great coup if TKO returns to form. However, you fail to realize the financial straits this team is in. Without that one bit of data you are basically clueless. If he flops completely which is entirely possible, then you just got a decent back up QB for a decent DT who will be part of our rotation. Oh and then theres the whole thing of we might have cut both of them anyway and you could have got them for a lot less by signing them as free agents. Hmmm who is the sucker now?

a) Thanks for the earnest reply Booster- yes, I DO get the cap implications. I do. Figured thats the ONLY way Philly gets spikes for that price.

b) The game in Philly- I welcome ALL here to attend. Its not as bad as you hear. No jail anylonger, and if you arent an a-hole and are respectful, you'll only be verbally harrassed.

No violence.

a) Thanks for the earnest reply Booster- yes, I DO get the cap implications. I do. Figured thats the ONLY way Philly gets spikes for that price.

b) The game in Philly- I welcome ALL here to attend. Its not as bad as you hear. No jail anylonger, and if you arent an a-hole and are respectful, you'll only be verbally harrassed.

No violence.

Do you need a Spoon?

I know you'll think your team got the better end of the deal EWW, but given that Walker has the most sacks of any DT since becoming a starter and is NOT coming-off an injury, much less one that almost invariably robs players of their abilities, the Bills came out way ahead. Can't really say much about Holcomb's effect on the deal, since he'd have been 3rd string in Buffalo and is a far cry from Garcia as a backup. Time will tell, but that's how it stands right now.

And Winston Justice and Broderick Bunkley would NOT start for the Bills. Westbrook and McNabb yes.

Hey Whiz, If Walker is average, then why was he second on your team in sacks last year?

And if we are talking salary cap implications, Kelly Holcomb has a higher salary than Walker so you saved nothing in that aspect.

Spikes might be great this year or only average if he does not recover.

Just because Julian Petersen came back, doesn't mean everyone comes back from that injury. Come back at the end of the year and if Spikes has a great year then you can gloat. Otherwise, no one knows who got the better of that trade.

Least of all Sal P from ESPN, he hasn't done jack since reporting when T.O. was taking a dump in Philly.

Ive seen so many incorrect player analysis on the guy from people here it's given me some honest to God laughs.

Ive watched every game the man's played.

Well you get the gold star

He ABSOLUTELY was part of a rotation- so whomever in another thread said he'd excel in Buffalo cos he wont have to play all game, is wrong.

Wrong how exactaly? He was part of a rotation in philly and is primarily a good interior pass rusher. He will also be playing in a rotation in buffalo with larry tripplett, our 1st rd pick dt john mccargo and 5th rd pick from last year kyle williams. Playing next to a good pass rushing de in aaron schobel and a young improving de in chris kelsay. It would only be natural to assume based on his strengths and weaknesses. That playing in a rotation system based on pursuit and pressure he'd fit in well. Be my guest and tell me where I'm wrong?

The guy honestly defines average. Nothing special, won't hurt you, a good guy to have coming INTO a rotation, not start. To get anything at all for the guy is nice, to land a guy like Spikes who, granted, is 30, like Walker, but has such a better skill set and upside in the return to form from the injury?

I'll take it.

Talking to the majority of either side of the spectrum you'll get some homer responses to this. Each teams fans will believe they got the better end of the deal. As far as Walker being "average" as an all around player yes. Again he won't be playing all game, as he'll be used in a rotation system that suits his paticular strengths. If he was an everydown player being relied as a hold point, clog holes kind of dt I'd agree he's not suited. The Tampa 2 is based on inside pressure. That's Walkers game and he's been fairly good at it. No he's obviously not Tommie Harris, but he significantly upgrades the rotation of buffalos dline.

I know the history of the injury. I also know that Spikes played better as the year wore on last yr, and he was also hindered by a hammy injury that cant be discounted. I think he;ll be fine, and to only have to toss in a 2008 7th round pick> ????? And ya gave us a very good back up (I think he'll be AJ's back up, but whatever, they needn't burn a draft pk on QB this yr which is a plus, well, no wonder Sal Palantonio of ESPN said "Tell Buffalo Media to quote me- someone up there needs to know they were robbed!"

Better as the year went on? Because you looked at a stat sheet and saw he had a bunch of tackles or that's the kind of spin philly media is giving you. He accquired more tackles because at the end of the year he played significantly more on the weakside then strongside. He was also absolutly man handled week 16 against the titans, and looked brutal. Against the ravens he wasn't much better.

He mad very little impact in terms of the defense. Yes he's a workout warrior and great locker room guy, and generally a guy you want to root for. However let's let facts get in the way for a moment. Takeo Spikes is not the same player he was 3-4 years ago. You have yourselves a very good mentor for younger players. If you're expecting the guy who would get 160 tackles 2-4 sacks and ints a year and a few forced fumbles? Don't hold your breath.

As far as Kelly Holcomb goes. He fits that west coast offense. So yeah he'll make a decent backup and probably spot starter when McNabb goes down again. He gives a nice veteran presence and seems like a good locker room guy who will help your qb. I have no ill will towards either player. I hope Spikes comes back strong, but don't let name value fool you. I generally like to believe eagle fans are smarter then that.

I'm not so sure he was a great lockerroom guy. I think he was part of the divisiveness of the lockerroom with Eric Moulds in 2005. I think the team wants a new set of leaders, their own guys. Spikes time was up. I'm esctatic that they got ANYTHING for him, and cut loose Holcomb.

I think he was a big cap hit, and won't be worth the money in the LONG RUN. By the time the Bils will be legitimate Super Bowl contenders (2008 or 2009) he will be very average (I think he has some gas left in the tank, just not 2 or 3 seasons). The BIll need a bunch of guys RISING to their peak at the same time in order to win a Super Bowl.

Spikes was AWESOME and I wish him well.

This is hilarious.

This is not a bogus thread.

Im NO bills fan- tho i DO recall the "CB TRIPPLE" at particpating McDonald's from my days at a Western PA branch campus of the University I attended my 1st two yrs of school.

It was no Whopper, but it wasn't bad.

Seriously- guys- the link I put up in the 1st thread-? Im a legit new user who is a Philly fan.

I believe ya - some people here just outsmart themselves sometimes.

Ive seen so many incorrect player analysis on the guy from people here it's given me some honest to God laughs.

Enjoy.

I think it's fair to say that neither team "got one over" on the other. They both had players that are (at the moment) slight above average at what they do, and should both do better given the systems that they are going into.

I agree with you that Spikes injuries will not be a major factor in his game like they were last year. He'll be slower than his prime, but he'll still be a great LB. And the fact that he is joining a team that uses a defense that plays to his strengths, will only make things better for you.

For a similar reason I think you are somewhat wrong about Walker. He may have been very average in Philly, but he is now going to a system that was made for his type of talent. A system that wants smaller, strong, fast DT's who can get into the backfield and make plays. I don't think you should discount how the system will help him.

That said, Spikes may never gain his former composure and Walker may end up being a situational player at best. Both have the possibility of boom or bust, which is why the trade made a lot of sense.

WHAT can I do to prove im who I say I am. A Birds fan.

Answer some of my questions correctly:

1. What is the name of the bar at Citizen's Bank Park?

2. What intersection is the Chinese Arch on? Hint: it's in Chinatown :nana:

3. Which Philly Mayor has a bronze statue of him walking down some steps, across from city hall, that, if it was life sized, would have that mayor weighing in at about 450 lbs and being 7' 3'' tall?(I run by this every day)

4. Which train do you take to get from New Jersey to the Philadelphia Airport?

5. What is Rock Lobster?

6. Which company is building a new skyscraper in Philly and do you like the guy who is known for that company? Hint: Physical Therapist/Trainer

7. Where is NFL Films located?

8. Do you hate people from New Jersey? Edit: Do you outwardly accept and are you nice to people from New Jersey, but secretly hate them and wish they would go back across the bridge? Or, is Right on Red legal in Philly and do people from New Jersey know that?

9. What is scrapple?

10. Can you find me a parking spot in Center City that costs less than $150 a month(thought I would throw that in just in case you are for real - but the right answer is no, unless you like to park in the Gayborhood)

Any real Philly guy can answer most of these questions in 30 seconds. If you can answer 4, that'll do. Incidentally, I live on 10th and Arch (another hint).

Now, on to business. You guys needed linebackers - if there is one thing I have heard around here, it's that the Birds need linebackers. I can't take a piss in a bar without hearing that. SO it's no surprise that you would trade to get Spikes because at this point starting a cone is better than starting Dhani Jones. On the other side, we can't carry the money nor can we take the risk on TKO, and we might as well bring in another young guy since that is what we are doing anyway - so it makes sense all around.

On Walker, you guys can try to disparage him all you want, but I was out tonight and I asked a ton of people here what they thought about Walker. TO A PERSON they said he was solid, most even said he had a great year, and while they were sad to see him go, it made sense to move on since they have the newly drafted DTs. On the other side, we have to get new D leadership on this team, and when I asked about that everyone said: hell yeah Walker can do that, so, we get what we want, you guys had more DTs than you needed - so it makes sense all around.

Overall, you are taking a much bigger risk than we are, IMO, which is par for the course with our GM. On the other hand, that big risk may pay off in a big reward if Spikes finally comes back. Risk vs. Reward is a matter of perspective - but for my money with our team we need to be safe, cause we don't have the 50 law/pharma/hospitals/consulting firms buying the $.5-$1 million corporate boxes/suites you guys do. I like living here, but I will always be a Bills fan. :nana:

Ive watched every game the man's played.

Well you get the gold star

He ABSOLUTELY was part of a rotation- so whomever in another thread said he'd excel in Buffalo cos he wont have to play all game, is wrong.

Wrong how exactaly? He was part of a rotation in philly and is primarily a good interior pass rusher. He will also be playing in a rotation in buffalo with larry tripplett, our 1st rd pick dt john mccargo and 5th rd pick from last year kyle williams. Playing next to a good pass rushing de in aaron schobel and a young improving de in chris kelsay. It would only be natural to assume based on his strengths and weaknesses. That playing in a rotation system based on pursuit and pressure he'd fit in well. Be my guest and tell me where I'm wrong?

The guy honestly defines average. Nothing special, won't hurt you, a good guy to have coming INTO a rotation, not start. To get anything at all for the guy is nice, to land a guy like Spikes who, granted, is 30, like Walker, but has such a better skill set and upside in the return to form from the injury?

I'll take it.

Talking to the majority of either side of the spectrum you'll get some homer responses to this. Each teams fans will believe they got the better end of the deal. As far as Walker being "average" as an all around player yes. Again he won't be playing all game, as he'll be used in a rotation system that suits his paticular strengths. If he was an everydown player being relied as a hold point, clog holes kind of dt I'd agree he's not suited. The Tampa 2 is based on inside pressure. That's Walkers game and he's been fairly good at it. No he's obviously not Tommie Harris, but he significantly upgrades the rotation of buffalos dline.

I know the history of the injury. I also know that Spikes played better as the year wore on last yr, and he was also hindered by a hammy injury that cant be discounted. I think he;ll be fine, and to only have to toss in a 2008 7th round pick> ????? And ya gave us a very good back up (I think he'll be AJ's back up, but whatever, they needn't burn a draft pk on QB this yr which is a plus, well, no wonder Sal Palantonio of ESPN said "Tell Buffalo Media to quote me- someone up there needs to know they were robbed!"

Better as the year went on? Because you looked at a stat sheet and saw he had a bunch of tackles or that's the kind of spin philly media is giving you. He accquired more tackles because at the end of the year he played significantly more on the weakside then strongside. He was also absolutly man handled week 16 against the titans, and looked brutal. Against the ravens he wasn't much better.

He mad very little impact in terms of the defense. Yes he's a workout warrior and great locker room guy, and generally a guy you want to root for. However let's let facts get in the way for a moment. Takeo Spikes is not the same player he was 3-4 years ago. You have yourselves a very good mentor for younger players. If you're expecting the guy who would get 160 tackles 2-4 sacks and ints a year and a few forced fumbles? Don't hold your breath.

As far as Kelly Holcomb goes. He fits that west coast offense. So yeah he'll make a decent backup and probably spot starter when McNabb goes down again. He gives a nice veteran presence and seems like a good locker room guy who will help your qb. I have no ill will towards either player. I hope Spikes comes back strong, but don't let name value fool you. I generally like to believe eagle fans are smarter then that.

Another tremendous post from HIGH MOTOR

Is it cos all your players who leave, say there's nuttin to do but play video games?

What the hell is there to do in Philly exactly...I'm sure you and your buddies drive around in a big white van with an old Eagles sticker on it, cruising down Broad Street searching for babes...and what else do you do, run up the stairs a la Rocky and bow down to the Rocky statue??

YOUR CITY'S MOST FAMOUS SPORTS HERO IS A FICTIONAL CHARACTER!! :nana: :nana: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Then to top the night off, you hop over the Walt Whitman, over to Mt. Ephrim NJ to go to the Fantasy Showbar to drool over chicks you'll never have while sporting your Old Spice cologne and your Sunday best Randall Cunningham jersey.

Yeah, Philly is a happening place!

Thank God i do not have to subject myself to ever listening to 610 WIP and the winners on that sports network!

What the hell is there to do in Philly exactly...I'm sure you and your buddies drive around in a big white van with an old Eagles sticker on it, cruising down Broad Street searching for babes...and what else do you do, run up the stairs a la Rocky and bow down to the Rocky statue??

YOUR CITY'S MOST FAMOUS SPORTS HERO IS A FICTIONAL CHARACTER!! :nana: :nana: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Then to top the night off, you hop over the Walt Whitman, over to Mt. Ephrim NJ to go to the Fantasy Showbar to drool over chicks you'll never have while sporting your Old Spice cologne and your Sunday best Randall Cunningham jersey.

Thank God i do not have to subject myself to ever listening to 610 WIP and the winners on that sports network!

They may not have much, but they do have WYSP and WMMR. Haven't good rock stations like those anywhere else I've lived. :(

What the hell is there to do in Philly exactly...I'm sure you and your buddies drive around in a big white van with an old Eagles sticker on it, cruising down Broad Street searching for babes...

Those are Jersey guys and we don't like it any more than you do.

and what else do you do, run up the stairs a la Rocky and bow down to the Rocky statue??

Hate to admit it but I did that last year - something that I had to do for no other reason than it was there.

No one actually from/lives in Philly has any reason to go to New Jersey unless you are buying gas, getting groceries, or on your way to NYC or AC.

Dude there is a lot to do here. But, IMO, things have been declining in the last couple of years. Prolly cause we have a mayor whose entire staff/appointees/office has been/is about to be thrown in jail. If you are gonna bust on Philly, this is how you get at em! As much as I like it here, it might be time to move on. I don't think it's a good idea to live in a town that hasn't hired a new cop in 6 years. The other day, with the influx of bums, I got that icky San Francisco feeling walking down the street.

You're right WGR is a treat compared to those guys.

Btw, the best way to get at native Philly people is start comparing them to NYC - they lose their minds. They will instantly start falling all over you apologizing for why they can't be more like NYC. It literally makes them crazy here. :nana: Which is why we just got the smoking ban in the city. The dopes around here act like NYC's annoying kid brother who is always trying to tag along.

Garcia has a rag arm.

Point? HE did well in this system. And Im not countin on much if anything outta KH except depth,.

as for cap casualties- same goes here for Walker. Signing Reagor and the push of Bunkley to the starting spot had Walker outside lookin in.

Pushing the unabashed homers aside for a minute- I seriously do wish Walker and I guess that means your team to a degree, best of luck. Walker was a class guy here and all I was tryin to say was that the excitement about obtaining him was surprising given his ability.

Ahhhh, Bunkley--I remember last year when the Eagles staff was getting fluffed by ESPN and all the pundits for having such a great draft, getting both Bunkley and Winston Justice, meanwhile we were getting savaged for ours. I myself even wished we'd made the picks you had. From what I hear, Bunkley needs to step it up or be labeled a bust and Justice was no great shakes either, while we got starting production out of our 4, 5, 6 and 7s, in addition to Whitner. So just goes to show you never know what you're getting until they strap on the pads....