Defensive stats from last year

Just looking through them, thought some were interesting. I know stats can be used to show a lot of different things and do not show the whole picture. Teams could really run on us when they had to last year, and control the ball at the end of the games when they had to. But the total results were a little surprising to me, considering we had complete new coaches, complete new systems, several rookies starting (sometimes up to five), one of the toughest schedules, and one of the worst offenses.

Overall, we were -

10th in scoring defense.

18th in overall defense.

9th in touchdowns allowed (tied)

8th in sacks (tied)

7th in passing defense (and 19 yards from the 4th best team)

12th in yards per play (tied)

11th in third down percentage (tied)

9th in penalty yards (tied)

16th in first downs (tied)

On the bad side we were

24th in turnovers.

27th in rush defense

Just goes to show that run defense should be the primary focus of the rest of the offseason. Turnovers will come with more experience and an improved pass rush (which will improve if the defense doesn't have to constantly stay home for fear of the run). I expect Marv and Dick to have done their research on these FA linemen, and for the offense to take great strides this season. So if the run D improves, Buffalo could be a playoff team.

if other teams are running it straight at you ,, less pass attempts and less chances for int s .. stuff the

run with stronger inside play ,,at mlb and dt things will change,,,we got little out of our lbs as far as

playmaking or game changing plays,,,,,

Just looking through them, thought some were interesting. I know stats can be used to show a lot of different things and do not show the whole picture. Teams could really run on us when they had to last year, and control the ball at the end of the games when they had to. But the total results were a little surprising to me, considering we had complete new coaches, complete new systems, several rookies starting (sometimes up to five), one of the toughest schedules, and one of the worst offenses.

Overall, we were -

10th in scoring defense.

18th in overall defense.

9th in touchdowns allowed (tied)

8th in sacks (tied)

7th in passing defense (and 19 yards from the 4th best team)

12th in yards per play (tied)

11th in third down percentage (tied)

9th in penalty yards (tied)

16th in first downs (tied)

On the bad side we were

24th in turnovers.

27th in rush defense

Hopefully the offensive line improvements will help the defense by upping these numbers (among others)

31st in 3rd down %

32nd in number of plays

32nd in first downs per game

Hopefully the offensive line improvements will help the defense by upping these numbers (among others)

31st in 3rd down %

32nd in number of plays

32nd in first downs per game

wow. didn't realize it was THAT bad. :devil: