Great Blue North Draft Report

http://www.gbnreport.com/

(12:01 AM): DTs on the move… There is a bit of a buzz around the NFL that there is some movement going on in the 2007 draft DT class. In particular, Michigan DT Alan Branch appears to be slipping on draft boards around the league. The 324-pound junior’s number at the combine were actually pretty good as he ran a very respectable 40 time of 5.07 and had 33 reps pressing 225 pounds. Branch, though, reportedly didn’t come across very well in the interview process; Gil Brandt also reports in his pro day update at NFL.com that some scouts thought Branch looked out of shape at Friday’s on-campus workout in Ann Arbor. That combined with the fact that there have been concerns that Branch has a sometimes inconsistent motor on the field has teams with top 10 picks taking a second look at Branch and for now it appears that Louisville’s Amobi Okoye may have replaced Branch as the #1 DT on most draft boards around the NFL. At the same time, it appears that Tennessee DT Justin Harrell may be making a move up into the latter part of this year’s opening round. And that’s probably where Harrell would have been today had he not been forced to miss the second half of the season with a torn biceps muscle. Harrell didn’t hurt his status, though when he played in the Florida game despite the injury; the 6-4, 300-pound Harrell, who ran his 40 in Indianapolis in a solid 5.04. As such we have updated our ranking of this year’s top DTs as well as the GBN Big Board ranking of the top 150 prospects for the 2007 draft.

I am beginning to think that neither Okoye or Branch will make it past the Redskins and Dolphins.

Bills can trade down and Branch will still be available.

Anyone too stupid to stay in shape for 2 months until the draft is not someone you want to invest a 1st round pick and lots of money.

After your comment, I couldn't help but have flashes of Ryan Leaf!! Yes, that scream you heard was me!

Bills can trade down and Branch will still be available.

Anyone too stupid to stay in shape for 2 months until the draft is not someone you want to invest a 1st round pick and lots of money.

Just another fat bastard trying to get by on his College reputation :w00t:

While I think it is too soon to call bust on Branch, I agree that there is some writing on the wall to be not as good an NFL football player as his current draft stock would indicate. He is definitely below Willis and some others on my draft board, and if the personality and passion aren't there he has a large potential to be a bust. Being 325 is often enough in college, but it isn't enough in the NFL if you don't want to work.