Holy crap! I can’t think of a comedian that would

Helmet_hair

The idea that comics are stifled by our PC society is totally bogus. There are, and have been, comics doing extremely controversial material successfully. Hell check out Chappelle...or, if you prefer dirty to funny, Lisa Lampanelli.

I don't mind Carlos Mencia (although he is accused of stealing much of his material) but I find that much of his act is him talking about his not being PC. Get over it Carlos, you're mild compared to MANY comics and it's NOT unusual to have comics make un-PC jokes...not unusual at ALL.

The problem is, if you're not funny...well, then you're just racist/sexist/whatever. FUNNY...that's the key.

The problem is, if you're not funny...well, then you're just racist/sexist/whatever. FUNNY...that's the key.

I totally agree. I used to date a woman who had spent some time in stand-up. She taught me about 'delivery' being the key to a great routine, and we'd sit there and watch stand up all the time. Comedy Central (used to be called something else back in the early 90s....) was on all the time and we'd analyze routines, talk about what was good/bad, what could have been funnier, etc. It was really cool. But anyway, the point is that too many comics need devices such as profanity and controversy to get their names out there. I don't think a routine needs to be devoid of these things, but like you said, the point is HUMOR. Someone like a Richard Pryor, for example. Sure, he used profanity in his routines, but he didn't rely on it in the slightest. The guy was just a great comedian. Seinfeld, though not my favorite entertainer in the world, is a genius. I saw a documentary on him where he was heading back to his stand up roots after his show ended, and other comics being interviewed were just in awe of the guy. They would say how some of them had been formulating routines for YEARS, and still not be anywhere as good as Seinfeld when he's only got a few months to write some new material. Bill Cosby....maybe the KING of delivery. I don't laugh my arse off at his stuff as much as some other folks, but his expressions and intonation are brilliant.

Comedy is an art form, and IMO humor is a form of intelligence - particularly witty humor. I think some of what passes for comedy these days is pretty embarrassing, but thankfully there are still plenty of people in the business who can bring it "old school".

Comedy is an art form, and IMO humor is a form of intelligence - particularly witty humor. I think some of what passes for comedy these days is pretty embarrassing, but thankfully there are still plenty of people in the business who can bring it "old school".

I agree. One thing I always hate when going out to a comedy club, is there's always one comic on the lineup, who's whole routine is making fun of people in the audience. To me, that's just being a bully, and not funny at all.

I agree. One thing I always hate when going out to a comedy club, is there's always one comic on the lineup, who's whole routine is making fun of people in the audience. To me, that's just being a bully, and not funny at all.

One of the biggest comedy tricks (techniques) is to involve the audience. "Anybody here from New York? "Clap if you have kids" "By applause, who has ever had a job that they hated. Please, by applause."

It's sickening, IMO. The idea that if you get the audience clapping, they will be more positive toward your lame-ass-act may have worked at one time years ago (ane may work today in some areas).

The same CAN be true of the audience insulting comic. A gifted comic playing with the audience can be a lot of fun. With a hack it's torture, IMO...but, it's easier than having an act, I suppose.

The idea that comics are stifled by our PC society is totally bogus. There are, and have been, comics doing extremely controversial material successfully. Hell check out Chappelle...or, if you prefer dirty to funny, Lisa Lampanelli.

I don't mind Carlos Mencia (although he is accused of stealing much of his material) but I find that much of his act is him talking about his not being PC. Get over it Carlos, you're mild compared to MANY comics and it's NOT unusual to have comics make un-PC jokes...not unusual at ALL.

A comedy and music snob? Pray, what are your other areas of expertise?

I think it was a different time...those clips are from the late '80s. Even Eddie doesn't do that stuff anymore. Some of his routines I found funny, and some I didn't.

Richard Pryor was a better overall comedian, but Eddie isn't far behind him.

Like it or not, society has changed...and not for the better. Everybody whines today, whether it be the gay lobbies or me about Sarah Silverman.

One of the biggest comedy tricks (techniques) is to involve the audience. "Anybody here from New York? "Clap if you have kids" "By applause, who has ever had a job that they hated. Please, by applause."

It's sickening, IMO. The idea that if you get the audience clapping, they will be more positive toward your lame-ass-act may have worked at one time years ago (ane may work today in some areas).

The same CAN be true of the audience insulting comic. A gifted comic playing with the audience can be a lot of fun. With a hack it's torture, IMO...but, it's easier than having an act, I suppose.

That's sort of like how some comedians laugh at their own jokes....that always annoyed me about that guy who used to be on the Howard Stern show....Jackie the Joke Man, or whatever his name was. When he does stand up, he laughs at EVERY joke he makes. Talk about annoying!

A comedy and music snob? Pray, what are your other areas of expertise?

Well, certainly in more areas than just music and comedy. I would suggest you try to develop a myriad of areas of relative "expertise" and avoid living a bland existence controlled by the purveyors of pap and mediocrity.

Of course that would take some mental effort. You up to it? :rolleyes:

he's awful at stand-up tho. He got booed off the stage at brockport in 20 minutes last year... I got to laugh more at him than at his jokes

Makes some sense. Even watching his (great) storytelling performances on Chapelle's Show, he doesn't come off as a stand-up professional. If was good at stand up, my guess is his career would be much further along at this point in time.