This is who the Bills will take with their #1 pick.

the best player available.

Buffalo has positioned themselves the take their top-ranked player in the draft, regardless of position, because they were able to reshape their O-Line early in free agency. with a month and a half to go before the draft, and the free agent market finally slowing, the Bills do not have as many major needs as most people think. i believe their next major addition will be a CB, either re-signing K. Thomas or getting a guy like Travis Fisher or one of the other lower priced but productive CB's left on the market. after that, all the starting spots on the team can be accounted for, so the team will be drafting to upgrade their team with the best available player and for depth. a RB will definitely be taken withing the 1st 3 rounds, as i believe the Bills think the draft will be place to get their RB of the future rather than a retread in free agency.

Starters

QB Losman

RB Thomas/draft pick

WR Evans - Price - Reed - Parrish

TE Royal

OL Peters - Dockery - Fowler - Walker/Preston/Whittle - Pennington/Butler/Walker

DE Schobel - Denney/Kelsay/Hargrove

DT Tripplet/McCargo - Williams/Anderson

LB Ellison - Crowell - Spikes

CB McGee - Youboty/Greer/FA

S Whitner - Simpson

K Lindell

P Moorman

people are calling for the Bills to take Patrick Willis at #12 because they feel the Bills have to replace Fletcher. Crowell will do just fine at MLB, so there is no absolute need there. if the Bills part ways with Spikes, it will be because they have signed a replacement. for those who think Buffalo takes a RB at #12, Peterson will not be there and maybe Lynch is the guy. however, there will be plenty of very good RB's available in Rounds 2 & 3, so they won't have to reach for Lynch if they feel better players at other positions are available. CB? if the Bills sign one in free agency, they'll have 4 guys under contract, no need there.

this leaves the Bills with lots of flexibility. stand pat and take a guy like Okoye/Branch/Willis/Lynch/CB, whoever happens to fall. trade up and grab Peterson (not likely, but he'd look good in Red, White & Blue). trade down, accumulate picks and build depth.

i'm not going to predict players because so much time remains in free agency that could change things. i just believe the Bills are not in bad shape at all. with a good draft, they will be much better this year and will contend for the playoffs.

however, 2008 is the year for Buffalo -- http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=60801

so you say there is a crack. find it.

1.) Anthony Thomas is decent, but can't reasonably be expected to start all season

2.) Tim Anderson has not shown himself to be NFL-caliber, and Kyle Williams is intriguing but unproven.

3.) Ellison is a 2nd-year player who has shown flashes, but little to think that he merits a net improvement over London Fletcher on a team that already struggled from the position

4.) McGee struggles to be a #2 CB, relying on him as a #1 is questionable.

1.) Anthony Thomas is decent, but can't reasonably be expected to start all season

2.) Tim Anderson has not shown himself to be NFL-caliber, and Kyle Williams is intriguing but unproven.

3.) Ellison is a 2nd-year player who has shown flashes, but little to think that he merits a net improvement over London Fletcher on a team that already struggled from the position

McGee will be ousted by Youboty and a rookie corner within a season or two.

so you say there is a crack. find it.

Iffy linebacking - with no especial blitz skills. A college safety playing one corner, and possibly a little-used 2nd year man at the other corner. A #1 WR and a gang of three for the #2 spot. One hopes McCargo shows well - but generally, rookie or near-rookie DTs take time to get to know the ropes. So far, a collection of off-Broadway RBs are on the squad. Some wait-and-see is necessary before the new - and pricey - OL acquisitions pan out. Or not. And the OL bench is nothing that gives warm feeling in case of injuries.

So barring developments before the draft, or plans to try for this or that vet as their cut-or-keep dates approach, I expect their 1st day draft to be something like

OLB, CB, RB, OG.

But you never know.

never said that any of that wasn't true. i believe all 4 positions you mentioned will likely be addressed in the draft during the 1st day. i'm just saying that the Bills won't be focused on any one of those areas with their first pick. they can use it to address any one of those areas with the best available player.

1. they will definitely draft a RB to at least share the duties with A-Train.

2. honestly, i'd rescind the tender to Anderson, but for now he plugs a hole until they draft/sign someone better

3. i believe they are happy with their LB's. they will be drafting for depth, not to replace Fletcher, as i believe Crowell be fine taking over and Ellison did his job well last year as a rookie and will only improve. they draft with the idea of replacing Spikes between now and 2009 when he becomes a free agent (if not sooner)

4. agreed, but i'm pretty sure they won't be drafting a CB with the idea that he will start right away.

the player pool in this year's draft is defense-heavy. most likely, the Bills will use their top pick on defense and take a RB with one of their next 2 picks.

Iffy linebacking - with no especial blitz skills. A college safety playing one corner, and possibly a little-used 2nd year man at the other corner. A #1 WR and a gang of three for the #2 spot. One hopes McCargo shows well - but generally, rookie or near-rookie DTs take time to get to know the ropes. So far, a collection of off-Broadway RBs are on the squad. Some wait-and-see is necessary before the new - and pricey - OL acquisitions pan out. Or not. And the OL bench is nothing that gives warm feeling in case of injuries.

So barring developments before the draft, or plans to try for this or that vet as their cut-or-keep dates approach, I expect their 1st day draft to be something like

OLB, CB, RB, OG.

But you never know.

i agree with all of it. which area do you address first? whichever one has the best available player, the one who will make the greatest impact, not only this year, but years to come as this team stays together. do they take Brady Quinn? of course not, otherwise just about every other position is fair game, but not an absolute necessity.

i agree with all of it. which area do you address first? whichever one has the best available player, the one who will make the greatest impact, not only this year, but years to come as this team stays together. do they take Brady Quinn? of course not, otherwise just about every other position is fair game, but not an absolute necessity.

Well, even though the consensus is that this isn't a terrific LB draft, I'd really have to consider one with the 1st pick. I know it's said that the Cover -2 style puts less demands on a CBs skills...but it's not run all the time - and the opposing offense can force one out of it. Losing Clements hurts.

The WMG trade - whether one thinks it was wise or not - does seem to force their hand regarding getting a RB. I'd be very surprised if they expended their top pick on one - to me, that smacks of getting a flashy name to spiff up the gate.

And I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't take a long look at CIN's MLB/OLB Brian Simmons, who they cut for $$$ reasons. Steady, reliable, and smart.

If your foundation has a crack, or the roof leaks...don't go out and buy fancy new windows just because there's a special on them.

You also don't fix the roof or foundation with just anybody willing to do the job. You find a contractor who can do it well.

the best player available.

Buffalo has positioned themselves the take their top-ranked player in the draft, regardless of position, because they were able to reshape their O-Line early in free agency. with a month and a half to go before the draft, and the free agent market finally slowing, the Bills do not have as many major needs as most people think. i believe their next major addition will be a CB, either re-signing K. Thomas or getting a guy like Travis Fisher or one of the other lower priced but productive CB's left on the market. after that, all the starting spots on the team can be accounted for, so the team will be drafting to upgrade their team with the best available player and for depth. a RB will definitely be taken withing the 1st 3 rounds, as i believe the Bills think the draft will be place to get their RB of the future rather than a retread in free agency.

Starters

QB Losman

RB Thomas/draft pick

WR Evans - Price - Reed - Parrish

TE Royal

OL Peters - Dockery - Fowler - Walker/Preston/Whittle - Pennington/Butler/Walker

DE Schobel - Denney/Kelsay/Hargrove

DT Tripplet/McCargo - Williams/Anderson

LB Ellison - Crowell - Spikes

CB McGee - Youboty/Greer/FA

S Whitner - Simpson

K Lindell

P Moorman

people are calling for the Bills to take Patrick Willis at #12 because they feel the Bills have to replace Fletcher. Crowell will do just fine at MLB, so there is no absolute need there. if the Bills part ways with Spikes, it will be because they have signed a replacement. for those who think Buffalo takes a RB at #12, Peterson will not be there and maybe Lynch is the guy. however, there will be plenty of very good RB's available in Rounds 2 & 3, so they won't have to reach for Lynch if they feel better players at other positions are available. CB? if the Bills sign one in free agency, they'll have 4 guys under contract, no need there.

this leaves the Bills with lots of flexibility. stand pat and take a guy like Okoye/Branch/Willis/Lynch/CB, whoever happens to fall. trade up and grab Peterson (not likely, but he'd look good in Red, White & Blue). trade down, accumulate picks and build depth.

i'm not going to predict players because so much time remains in free agency that could change things. i just believe the Bills are not in bad shape at all. with a good draft, they will be much better this year and will contend for the playoffs.

however, 2008 is the year for Buffalo -- http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=60801

I don't think the Bills have any intention of retaining defensive tackle Tim Anderson. They gave him a Restricted Free Agent qualifying offer in the hope that someone would make him an offer which would give the Bills a 3rd round draft choice if they refused to match that offer.