Why not Trade Up for Adrian Peterson?

How much would Buffalo have to give up to get AD? - I sure wish I could watch him in Buffalo!

Assuming the Browns(#3) will draft him....& they will acquiesce to trade down with us.....according to the standard trade value chart we would have to give up 1000 points worth. #3 = 2200 #12 = 1200. That means our 2nd round(#43)....470 points, our 3rd round(#74)....220 points, our new 3rd round(#92)....132 points, our 4th round(#107)....80 points, our 6th round(#169)....24 points....etc.

Basically according to the trade value chart, we would have to trade every pick we have this year(& some) to jump from the #12 to the #3 spot in the draft. I cannot see us with Peterson after the draft......waaaaaay too costly.

A coach once told me to stop forcing things and let the game come to me. Marv will not panic and jump without calculation. He has 4 picks on first day. While others reach he will be patient. TD always had to make a splash. Bledesoe. Mc Gahee. And thankfully JP.

Some say that at most, in the best of drafts, there are 10 "sure bets" after this the next 35 to forty players are "equal" , that is, need and position are the significant differentiation. We all know sure bets are not always so sure viz: Mirer, Mandarich, Patulski, Mast Penn state halfbacks and so on. Nor does best athlete available have a proven track record.

Points. Schmoints. I think a sixth round pick values an eight. Tom Brady was an eight? Jason Peters was an undrafted free agent who may become the best left tackle in near future. so it all reduces to judgment and Marv has good judgment.

Who wouldn't want him here but we would have to give up alot to draft high. Is it worth it? IMO, no it's not since we have alot of needs to make this team a contender.

Not to mention the ridiculously high contract such a high draft pick would command.....it would probably be two to threee times bigger than the contract the Ravens gave to McGahee plus the draft picks it would cost--no thanks.

The contract would be right in the ballpark of what mcgahee got, maybe a tad more. THe first pick in the draft(usually a qb, so that increases it a bit) will likely get about a 7 year 60 million dollar contract, with about 20 million or so guaranteed. So assuming AP goes third, then he's looking at around 18-20 mil guaranteed.

As for why not trade up for him? Simple, hes not worth it.

Think about what it really should take for a back to go top 10, usually extreme dominance at the college level. While AP was very good in college, one would hesitate to call him dominant. Ricky Williams was dominant, Reggie Bush was dominant, Cadillac was dominant. Peterson was very good but moreso he shows the skill set of a dominant player, that is, he has all the measurables. That said, hes more like a Ronnie Brown-type prospect.

I cant remember a RB coming out of college with the same circumstances as AP who was pretty much a guaranteed top 10 pick.

The contract would be right in the ballpark of what mcgahee got, maybe a tad more. THe first pick in the draft(usually a qb, so that increases it a bit) will likely get about a 7 year 60 million dollar contract, with about 20 million or so guaranteed. So assuming AP goes third, then he's looking at around 18-20 mil guaranteed.

As for why not trade up for him? Simple, hes not worth it.

Think about what it really should take for a back to go top 10, usually extreme dominance at the college level. While AP was very good in college, one would hesitate to call him dominant. Ricky Williams was dominant, Reggie Bush was dominant, Cadillac was dominant. Peterson was very good but moreso he shows the skill set of a dominant player, that is, he has all the measurables. That said, hes more like a Ronnie Brown-type prospect.

I cant remember a RB coming out of college with the same circumstances as AP who was pretty much a guaranteed top 10 pick.

I believe the final two years of the McGahee contract are bogus(padded numbers to make the super-agent look good!) the contract has around 15 million in guaranteed money. I should have been more specific, I was basing my comments on that figure.