This really says it all

d_wag

from buffalo news articile on front page:

The Bills have plenty of room under the cap, according to the NFL’s accounting method. They’re at roughly $17 million under the cap, according to News estimates.

A high-revenue team — such as Washington or New England — in the same situation probably would not feel any financial pressure to move a player such as Spikes. It also might consider an early extension of a contract for a player whose deal runs out in 2008, two seasons down the road. The Bills probably aren’t going to be in position to do something like that this offseason.

the biggest key for the bills, in my opinion, is extending their own players well BEFORE they approach free agency......we can't afford to keep overpaying guys like kelsey and expect to compete.........realistically, he would have taken half of what he got if offered two years ago.......the longer you wait, the more expensive it gets........

i hope this reporter is off the mark and extensions for JP, evans, and crowell are in the works.......waiting till next year just drives the price higher.....

this is a very good thread from yesterday, pointing out our list of UFAs for next year and the year after. i think the list for next year is VERY interesting:

Not one starter on the list for next year....

so hopefully we can lock up some guys in the next year. the earlier the better, but at least we have time if we need it.

the biggest key for the bills, in my opinion, is extending their own players well BEFORE they approach free agency......we can't afford to keep overpaying guys like kelsey and expect to compete.........realistically, he would have taken half of what he got if offered two years ago.......the longer you wait, the more expensive it gets........

i hope this reporter is off the mark and extensions for JP, evans, and crowell are in the works.......waiting till next year just drives the price higher.....

I think all teams know this. It's a reason why we extended Peters and McGee early. The problem is you can't do it with everyone, nor do you want to. I think Evans is a sure lock and they must re-sign him at top dollar. I think they feel they need to see another year of JP before committing big bucks to him.

from buffalo news articile on front page:

Did overpaying Kelsay bother anybody else out there?

Quite so. Fellow small-market club CIN (they and BUF were the only two to vote against the new CBA) re-signed QB Palmer, WRs C. Johnson and Houshmanzedeh, RB R. Johnson, FB J. Johnson, and LT Jones, RT Anderson, and RG Williams to contracts last year and the year before that will keep them all on the club for a long time.

Did overpaying Kelsay bother anybody else out there?

It does me. I don’t think his play is anything special, and certainly not worth what he re-signed for. As I have posted in other threads….I can’t help but get this picture in my mind every time I hear his name, of number 90 rushing up to a pile of guys just as the whistle blows, standing straight-up over them adjusting he shoulder pads as though he just completed a hit of the century, but yet never touched an opposing player. That’s my impression of how

I have seen him play. :(

I think all teams know this. It's a reason why we extended Peters and McGee early. The problem is you can't do it with everyone, nor do you want to. I think Evans is a sure lock and they must re-sign him at top dollar. I think they feel they need to see another year of JP before committing big bucks to him.

eagles seem to pull it off.....how many guys have they extended in the past 3 years? they draft well and target them early, sometimes in only their 2nd year.....once you have the guys you like you need to go after them quick before the temptation of free agency gets closer.......it can be done........waiting only drives up the price

eagles seem to pull it off.....how many guys have they extended in the past 3 years? they draft well and target them early, sometimes in only their 2nd year.....once you have the guys you like you need to go after them quick before the temptation of free agency gets closer.......it can be done........waiting only drives up the price