Here's A Thought (RB related)

Mike F

I wanted to take some time to process the McGahee deal, before posting anything.

My first reaction was mixed..........we now have a large hole in the backfield, but at the same time we rid ourselves of a potential malcontent who may have been more trouble then he would have been worth for 2007. Not to mention, he was going to walk after 2007 anyway, IMO, so getting some value for him is smart.

Then, somewhere between my first and second cup of coffee, I began thinking about another team that doesn't mind making changes at RB............Denver.

If you look at the Broncos, they have had quite a few different RB's over the years and each one has been successful. The key in Denver, obviously, is an excellent offensive line (the biggest key for any offense, finally realized by our administration) :lol:

Which brings me to my point...............we now have the pieces in place for a much improved, dare I say good, offensive line.

If the line comes together (fingers crossed), I don't think we will miss Willis..................Mike

I wanted to take some time to process the McGahee deal, before posting anything.

My first reaction was mixed..........we now have a large hole in the backfield, but at the same time we rid ourselves of a potential malcontent who may have been more trouble then he would have been worth for 2007. Not to mention, he was going to walk after 2007 anyway, IMO, so getting some value for him is smart.

Then, somewhere between my first and second cup of coffee, I began thinking about another team that doesn't mind making changes at RB............Denver.

If you look at the Broncos, they have had quite a few different RB's over the years and each one has been successful. The key in Denver, obviously, is an excellent offensive line (the biggest key for any offense, finally realized by our administration) :lol:

Which brings me to my point...............we now have the pieces in place for a much improved, dare I say good, offensive line.

If the line comes together (fingers crossed), I don't think we will miss Willis..................Mike

Agreed. Additionally, there was a post here which cited an article saying that of all positions in football, RB requires the least amount of technical maturity- in other words, player x is a professional running back, he's been juking, jiving, etc since he was 11 and now that he's 23, he just has bigger tacklers chasing him. All he needs is the ball and a hole to run through...

Agreed. Additionally, there was a post here which cited an article saying that of all positions in football, RB requires the least amount of technical maturity- in other words, player x is a professional running back, he's been juking, jiving, etc since he was 11 and now that he's 23, he just has bigger tacklers chasing him. All he needs is the ball and a hole to run through...

Willis would be proof that it takes more than that.

Could it be that Buffalo doesn't draft a RB with a 1st or 2nd rd pick and just goes with A-Train and another FA RB? Some have posted that it's a deeper draft for RBs next year and maybe this is where the Bills get their RB of the future. I do agree that an improved O-Line may allow us to use a RBBC approach. Using our early rd picks on other needs may be the way to go.

A-Train would seem to be the early leader for the starting position.........but, what if Marv and Co. really like the RB from NFL Europe (Fred Jackson, I believe) and think he can be the future at RB for us? (or at least be part of a platoon)

The kid sounds like a "Marv" kind of player......unheralded, multidimensional (the leader in NFLE all purpose yards, which indicates rushing, receiving and ST play) and a hard worker (taking a different route to the NFL).

I am not saying he is the answer, but he will be in the mix, IMO.

Mike

Could it be that Buffalo doesn't draft a RB with a 1st or 2nd rd pick and just goes with A-Train and another FA RB? Some have posted that it's a deeper draft for RBs next year and maybe this is where the Bills get their RB of the future. I do agree that an improved O-Line may allow us to use a RBBC approach. Using our early rd picks on other needs may be the way to go.

A-Train would seem to be the early leader for the starting position.........but, what if Marv and Co. really like the RB from NFL Europe (Fred Jackson, I believe) and think he can be the future at RB for us? (or at least be part of a platoon)

The kid sounds like a "Marv" kind of player......unheralded, multidimensional (the leader in NFLE all purpose yards, which indicates rushing, receiving and ST play) and a hard worker (taking a different route to the NFL).

I am not saying he is the answer, but he will be in the mix, IMO.

Mike

Good point, and I don't think we lose anything with A-Train vs. Willis. If anything, I think we're better off with A-Train purely for the intangibles he has. I don't think Willis will ever really 'get' it and his mediocre running seals the deal for me.