Lets Get Real

I think the fundamental question is, do we want to be good this year or next? A lot of people make the point that it's only March and the season doesn't begin until September. I hear you, but the pieces to the puzzle are in place with players in March and April. After that, sure you might have some cap casualties in June, but more often than not finding starter grade players after that point is not likely.

I honestly believe we're going into year 2 of a 3 year plan. They could be playoff worthy this season, but right now, I don't see the Bills having the team to win in 2007. There's not enough available in free agency and the draft to make us good this year. Perhaps next.

The fact remains that there are more question marks that exist now than before free agency. I believe and support the front office letting NC and LFB go. Revamping and improving the OL is an excellent move. I think a football team begins with a quality OL. However, the longer they wait to get players at RB, CB, LB, and DT the more uncertainty going into 2007. The chances of finding starters in the later rounds are not great. Many people say the draft is a crapshoot and it is. But it's even more of a chance in rounds 4-7.

Let's face it, the reason we started so many rookies last season revolved around the fact that our depth was so poor. That's why I believe Marv went after so many free agents. They needed depth and not star power. I understand that. But if we're going to improve upon 7-9, to become a playoff contender, it's going to take some more personnel additions that can start at a high level.

We all know the NFL continues to evolve. Free Agency is different than it was 5 years ago, making the draft more integral to a team's improvement. Many clubs are attempting to find a solution to remaining competitive for many years as opposed to 2 or 3 and only the best front offices will get it. Last season, 15 of 32 teams finished either 7-9, 8-8, or 9-7. There's parity for you. And while I believe a team could make the playoffs at 8-8, the AFC East will prove to be very competitive.

Call me a doomsday type, call me whatever. But unless we get more depth, we are thin at a lot of positions. It's fine to have faith with Dick and Marv. But why do you have faith? Marv has never been a GM and was out of the league for 10 years. Dick has a career 43-58 record. People always want answers when someone criticizes a move. Well, I'd like someone to tell me why they have faith in these two. 2007 will provide some changes, but will those new faces be enough of a difference to make this team into a winner?

I think the fundamental question is, do we want to be good this year or next?

I think you are right that this is the fundamental question. Unfortunately for my views, though I think the Bills are handling things in an intelligent way it is because based on what I think will the likely effects of our most recent moves is that they are intelligent if one does not look to win next year (make the playoffs) and in fact they are on a 3 year plan for rebuilding.

I think this is unfortunate because I am a "future is now" kind of guy and I think that there are some patches we might have pursued at dealing with certain holes and devoted the resources saved by investing in patches rather than long term fixes at these positions into really improving immediately in some key positions,

I think that Poetclaw may be right that we see the Bills look to draft Willis and a CB with our first picks. However, if we take this route I think the payoff in more Ws is going to come in 2008 most likely as next year is going to be quite painful to watch.

Willis is a good investment for the future and if he plays as well as he can and learns as well as he seems to show the potential for our MLB slot will be solid for 2008 (or 9 at the latest) and beyond. However, the way we implement our hybrid version of the Cover 2 which essentially is like the Tampa 2 D where the MLB plays deep zone over the middle with the safeties playing outside deep zone simply requires that our MLB read plays like an NFL vet as he is required to both tackle like a DT on run plays and cover like a safety on pass plays.

Opposing OCs will simply be salivating at the chance to go up against a rookie MLB knowing that if they can fool him so he takes a step backward on run plays thinking we are passing or merely takes a step forward on pass plays reading they are runs, the results for us will be a bunch of shrill voices on TSW saying he is just as bad as Fletcher initiating hits in our backfield and that he is worse than Fletch as speedy wide receivers catch passes over the middle for big gains or TDs.

Folks confuse the thought that I must be saying no rookie can start (which is obviously false) with all I am really saying is that in our version of the Cover 2, the MLB is really called upon to play a diverse role which a good smart athlete (which I think Willis is) can master, but he will learn these lessons by making some big mistakes. All I am really arguing is that rookies are not NFL vets. The MLB role in our D calls for a lot of good vet reads. Fletcher pulled this off well to the tune of him leading all NFL LBs in INTs and the Bills in tackles (which were by a 2:1 margin solo tackles).

Even with these results which were simply just the facts of what happened, he was not good enough for us as Marv said we want a more attacking LB play. What makes more sense to me is to switch Crowell to MLB which is the position he occupied as a back-up for two years, was shifted to SLB when it became clear Posey was not the answer and was a good enough player that it made more sense to have shift positions than to play Haggan, Stamer or some other reserve backer.

When TKO went down, again it made the most sense to put our best LB over there and he filled in admirably. In fact he did so well that when TKO came back it made more sense to keep Crowell in the spot and shift TKO to the SLB looking for less running for him.

Last year before he was injured Crowell was putting up some nice stats taking down 2 INTs and showing some diversity in his play with a good number of tackles and a couple of sacks as well.

With the reports being he is already at 100% after his injury, shifting him to MLB and having him call signals as he originally did makes a lot more sense to me than drafting a rookie who will simply get burned as he learns. Using the draft to take an OLB like Timmons who is more highly rated by most observers than Willis even after Willis had a good combine makes far more sense to me for a Bills team that is playing to win next year.

If we do draft Willis I will root and hope for the best. However, football logic tells me that such a pick will confirm for me that Marv finds it acceptable to write off next season in hopes of winning in 2008.

I think you are right that this is the fundamental question. Unfortunately for my views, though I think the Bills are handling things in an intelligent way it is because based on what I think will the likely effects of our most recent moves is that they are intelligent if one does not look to win next year (make the playoffs) and in fact they are on a 3 year plan for rebuilding.

I think this is unfortunate because I am a "future is now" kind of guy and I think that there are some patches we might have pursued at dealing with certain holes and devoted the resources saved by investing in patches rather than long term fixes at these positions into really improving immediately in some key positions,

I think that Poetclaw may be right that we see the Bills look to draft Willis and a CB with our first picks. However, if we take this route I think the payoff in more Ws is going to come in 2008 most likely as next year is going to be quite painful to watch.

Willis is a good investment for the future and if he plays as well as he can and learns as well as he seems to show the potential for our MLB slot will be solid for 2008 (or 9 at the latest) and beyond. However, the way we implement our hybrid version of the Cover 2 which essentially is like the Tampa 2 D where the MLB plays deep zone over the middle with the safeties playing outside deep zone simply requires that our MLB read plays like an NFL vet as he is required to both tackle like a DT on run plays and cover like a safety on pass plays.

Opposing OCs will simply be salivating at the chance to go up against a rookie MLB knowing that if they can fool him so he takes a step backward on run plays thinking we are passing or merely takes a step forward on pass plays reading they are runs, the results for us will be a bunch of shrill voices on TSW saying he is just as bad as Fletcher initiating hits in our backfield and that he is worse than Fletch as speedy wide receivers catch passes over the middle for big gains or TDs.

Folks confuse the thought that I must be saying no rookie can start (which is obviously false) with all I am really saying is that in our version of the Cover 2, the MLB is really called upon to play a diverse role which a good smart athlete (which I think Willis is) can master, but he will learn these lessons by making some big mistakes. All I am really arguing is that rookies are not NFL vets. The MLB role in our D calls for a lot of good vet reads. Fletcher pulled this off well to the tune of him leading all NFL LBs in INTs and the Bills in tackles (which were by a 2:1 margin solo tackles).

Even with these results which were simply just the facts of what happened, he was not good enough for us as Marv said we want a more attacking LB play. What makes more sense to me is to switch Crowell to MLB which is the position he occupied as a back-up for two years, was shifted to SLB when it became clear Posey was not the answer and was a good enough player that it made more sense to have shift positions than to play Haggan, Stamer or some other reserve backer.

When TKO went down, again it made the most sense to put our best LB over there and he filled in admirably. In fact he did so well that when TKO came back it made more sense to keep Crowell in the spot and shift TKO to the SLB looking for less running for him.

Last year before he was injured Crowell was putting up some nice stats taking down 2 INTs and showing some diversity in his play with a good number of tackles and a couple of sacks as well.

With the reports being he is already at 100% after his injury, shifting him to MLB and having him call signals as he originally did makes a lot more sense to me than drafting a rookie who will simply get burned as he learns. Using the draft to take an OLB like Timmons who is more highly rated by most observers than Willis even after Willis had a good combine makes far more sense to me for a Bills team that is playing to win next year.

If we do draft Willis I will root and hope for the best. However, football logic tells me that such a pick will confirm for me that Marv finds it acceptable to write off next season in hopes of winning in 2008.

What do you mean-

I am a "future is now" kind of guy'?

But you were my dream gal.....

I think I'm going to be sick!!! :thumbsup:

What do you mean-

I am a "future is now" kind of guy'?

But you were my dream gal.....

I think I'm going to be sick!!! :thumbsup:

Hey, its the internet, few things are as one assumes. Most with a long TSW history remember the long sad and odd tale of Yvel Smub Barry Gal.

Hey, its the internet, few things are as one assumes. Most with a long TSW history remember the long sad and odd tale of Yvel Smub Barry Gal.

When I noticed that you had "man hands" it should have made me take notice.

I guess I ignored the sign because I did not want it to be true.

The reason I ask about this remains because we're seven years without a playoff appearance. I'm wondering how long the front office thinks Bills fans will wait until we make the playoffs again? One year? Two years?

They've improved the OL and that's the foundation of a good offense. Their defense leaves much to be desired because there are simply too many ifs. If Youboty can start, if McCargo can be a good DT, if Crowell can move over to MLB, if...

Our running back situation most likely will be at least partially addressed in the draft. I'm sure Buffalo re-signs A. Thomas at RB and/or another veteran. But spending a first or second on RB ignores defensive depth.

I think Patrick Willis would fit in nicely with Marv's character requirement and at MLB. From time to time rookies are required to start in the NFL. We did it with two safeties last year and limited their chance of error by playing them deep on many occasions. You can't do that with a MLB in the Cover-2, they're simply too important in the defensive scheme.

If we go LB, Timmons and Poz are there as options in the first. I think they'll go late in the first and not be there by the time Buffalo drafts in the second. But what about CB? Milwaukee Thomas is a free agent, leaving us with Youboty, T. McGee, and Jabari Greer as our only options.

Unless we use some more funds in Free Agency, the draft will be the only option to round-out the team's positions of need. We did that last year and you reap the benefits when rookies start. I know Marv does not like starting rookies, but he had no choice. I don't see a way around having to start our 1st and 2nd round picks. Perhaps even the third. It's just the era in which the Bills find themselves; continually looking to replace established players (whether they fit in or not) with younger players we hope have potential.