Welker Signs 5 year-deal with Pats

Dolphins | Trade agreement reached for Welker

Mon, 5 Mar 2007 14:05:53 -0800

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the New England Patriots have agreed to a trade with the Miami Dolphins for restricted free agent WR Wes Welker. The Patriots have already agreed to contract terms with the receiver, but rather then go through the motions required with restricted free agents, the team will instead acquire his rights from the Dolphins and then proceed to sign him. It is still unclear as to what the Dolphins will receive in the deal.

Chris Brown had this to say:

BELICHICK IS OFF HIS ROCKER: My mouth is hanging agape at the Patriots offer sheet for Wes Welker. Seven years and $38 million??!!!! If I'm the Dolphins I place a personal call to Belichick and thank him for his second round pick as compensation. 38 million for Welker??!! Holy crow!

I like Welker and all. He's a nice complementary player, but you don't hitch your wagon to him for $38 million!

Official ESPN Link

Does this mean Wes Welker won't see any of that money promised this year. Technically, the Pats don't have to negotiate a contract for Welker now and can let him play out his contract or sign him now more to their terms than the RFA offer. Welker is probably cursing the Dolphins for not letting him cash in that huge signing bonus in 7 days.

Official ESPN Link

Does this mean Wes Welker won't see any of that money promised this year. Technically, the Pats don't have to negotiate a contract for Welker now and can let him play out his contract or sign him now more to their terms than the RFA offer. Welker is probably cursing the Dolphins for not letting him cash in that huge signing bonus in 7 days.

does this mean they dont need moss

thoughts???

Official ESPN Link

I would guess the Pats will still negotiate a long-term deal with him - it makes little sense to trade a pretty high pick for a guy if you're not going to keep him for a while.

In any event, most of that $38 million in the proposed offer sheet was fake anyway, so I imagine Welker will end up getting about the same amount of money.

Official ESPN Link

I believe that Wes Welker's agent and the patriots already have the terms of a contract in place but it could significantly less than he would of got had they signed him to a rstricted FA offer sheet.

It look`s like they are adressing there w.r. problem. If they land Moss it could spell Big problem`s for our lack of c.b.`s. Even if we do pick a top corner in the draft,Moss will give him fit`s. Remember what Moss did to Nate on one leg.

I'd be stunned if they brought Moss in. First, he's in the last years of his prime. Second, does he fit the Pats scheme and strategy regarding free agent signings.

The Pats aren't going to give a #1 for a damaged-goods Randy Moss. Unless they have 2 second round picks, their 2nd rounder went to Miami. The Raiders aren't going to give Moss away for a 3rd round pick. Even though I think he's on the downside, I wouldn't want to see Moss as a Patriot. The Patriots didn't even spend TO the cap last year, and it cost them in the playoffs without a go-to receiver but no one said a word. It's interesting to see them shell out some good bucks this offseason. Of course, any move they make will be a brilliant one in the eyes of the knob-gobbling Patriot-love media. Oh sorry, they got a 6 month hiatus so Peyton Manning could get his reach-around.

RTB

Dolfelons also dropped Harrington and McMichael, among other less notables.

McMichael sounds very intriguing to me. He used to be good, but has slipped this past year. Anyone else think he would be a possibility

Dolfelons also dropped Harrington and McMichael, among other less notables.

CBS looked so ridiculous (Phil Simms especially) in the Harrington love-fest in Detroit on Thanksgiving. So he pulls out a win against the worst team in the league. It's as if he was a Joe Montana in the making.

Simms should have covered the Buffalo game ... 0.0 QB rating for your beloved Joey Harrington, Phil.