Pats to sign Wes Welker to an offer sheet

ganesh

i agree for the simple fact that he's not great at any one position, but he does many things really well.

Plus the Pats have 8 picks this year including 2 number 1's...their second is like a throw away. Getting Welker for an end of round second pick--a 58th pick or so..I'll do that deal anytime.

The Dols would be fools to not match the offer, considering it's for just a late-2nd rounder in a weak draft. I'd string the Pats along for a week though, just to give them hope. :thumbsup:

Word is the Pats are considering a geographical poison pill along the lines of the those used by Minnesota and Seattle when signing Steve Hutchinson and Nate Burleson, respectively.

Welker would be like a young Troy Brown for them.

Now here's a prediction I hope you get right. :wallbash:

Those poison pills are no longer legal. The Burleson one was allowed as compensation for the Hutchinson thing.

According to PFT (I know, I know...) the NFL and the NFLPA negotiated the elimination of poison pills after the Hutchinson/Burleson scenario, but nothing was agreed to. Thus, they are still legal.

We'll see. But it might be moot in any case. WRT Hutchinson, the Hawks would have had to guarantee his entire $49M contract. What are the Pats thinking of offering Welker that the Dols wouldn't/couldn't match?

Using the poison pill they can do whatever they want. Like they can say if Welker plays 5 games in the state of Florida he is owed a 20 million bonus. I know it's crazy but they can do it if they want, that's what's so stupid about it, and the league has really dropped the ball on getting this stuff out of play.

Using the poison pill they can do whatever they want. Like they can say if Welker plays 5 games in the state of Florida he is owed a 20 million bonus. I know it's crazy but they can do it if they want, that's what's so stupid about it, and the league has really dropped the ball on getting this stuff out of play.

I agree, but I wouldn't blame the league. It's the union that's preventing an end to the practice.

Word is the Pats are considering a geographical poison pill along the lines of the those used by Minnesota and Seattle when signing Steve Hutchinson and Nate Burleson, respectively.

Now here's a prediction I hope you get right. :thumbsup:

So they could write in something like if God and the Chosen QB don't play on your team, the whole contract is guaranteed..just hypothetically in this case..

I agree, but I wouldn't blame the league. It's the union that's preventing an end to the practice.

Yep--its a CBA rule that would need both sides to agree. If I was the NFLPA there is no way I am agreeing to change this one..it gets younger guys who are RFA's and Transition and Franchised free agents more cash. To get a player to sign a deal like that the bidding team needs to sweeten the pot and that's always in the union's best interest. Look at Hutchinson last year..and look at the floor of the market for the top 3 guards it established this year in the UFA market..

Yep--its a CBA rule that would need both sides to agree. If I was the NFLPA there is no way I am agreeing to change this one..it gets younger guys who are RFA's and Transition and Franchised free agents more cash. To get a player to sign a deal like that the bidding team needs to sweeten the pot and that's always in the union's best interest. Look at Hutchinson last year..and look at the floor of the market for the top 3 guards it established this year in the UFA market..

It doesn't get a guy more cash. The player gets the deal regardless. It's a matter of being able to keep guys you drafted/developed.