WOW, seriously....the more you think about it.....

I have to thank Petrino for starting this defense and it's A-1 season non-sense.

We let Jax go the distance on us at home in week one with the game on the line. That is a Grade A-1 CHOKE. Jacksonville is a horrible offensive team. That's the main reason it's classified as a choke. Smash mouth, defense oriented team. We had JAX right were we wanted them. WIth our A-1 defense between them, 80 yards away from a score. And they scored. (Cough cough)

Oakland - A bad team also. Also struggles on offense. And while I think we did OK on the road, there's still the blunder of what was it??? Third and 30 and they scored? Oakland has some of the worst QB'ing in the league. (COUGH COUGH)

NE - Ummmmm, they lit us up like a Chrimmus tree.

And now the Jets. LOL. Pennington completes 31 of 42 for christs sakes. That's over 70%. The Jets score 16 points, miss a FG, and Pennington makes a horrible throw to bail out the Bills when he hit Posey at the 25 with what was a terrible decision to throw that pass. Also, how about the play when a streaking WR lost the ball because he didn't cover it up (Priouleau punched it out) and that gave the ball back to us also. Ummmmm, they also had the ball for 34 minutes, and accumed about 400 yards of offense despite making numerous mistakes. See, why Jets fans think they easily could have scored 30 plus points?

Ummmmmm, let's grade it now.....

Choked, Played slightly above average, Torched, and Torched! They only things we can hang our hat on is run defense up the gut, and we are getting some turnovers.

Season Grade C- Not saying the offense is any better, but this defense is no where near worth its money!

I was on the fence, but yep, you convinced me, they suck.

Congratulations....I'm usually a stubborn guy.  (no i'm not being sarcastic)

65529[/snapback]

Just a few other tidbits, outside of the many arguments against them in the other thread. I found these two on the Jets official site.

Chad Pennington had his first 300-yard passing game of the year (304 yards) and completed 73% of his passes (31 of 42).

Wayne Chrebet had a season-high eight catches for 90 yards, six of them for first downs.

But, hey, we supposedly SLAMMED THE DOOR.

Choked, Played decent, Torched, Torched and choked!

And this doesn't even count all of the STUPID, STUPID, STUPID, personal fouls at the WORST times! I'm not even gonna get into dumb penalites agaisnt them yet!

C- on the year so far!

The D in the "2 minute drill" time has been horrendous. In 3 of 4 games, late scores before the half or at the finish have killed us.

Jacksonville-Team allows Jacksonville to march down field at the end of the game, directly resulting in a loss.

New England-Team allows NE to score touchdown to tie the game right before halftime, giving NE momentum which results in Bills' loss in 2nd half of game.

NY Jets: Team allows Jets to win game after they get into field goal range.

In 75% of our games, when time came for the D to put up or shut up they allowed the other team to mount game winning or game altering drives.

I'll say it now: At the end of the season, do not give Gray's a new contract. Make Krumrie Defensive Coordinator.

Here's another thought to ponder: If you replace the Ravens defense with the Bills' last night - do they win that game? Sadly, they probably don't, even as poorly as the Redskins played. They probably give up more than 10 points after Boeller's 3 int's, and they certainly don't make the Ed Reed play that turned the game around.

The great defenses can win games singlehandily.

The 2nd tier good defenses can at least close out a game when it's on the line.

Our defense does neither. It's 3rd tier - I wouldn't say it sucks - but not much better than average.

The D in the "2 minute drill" time has been horrendous.  In 3 of 4 games, late scores before the half or at the finish have killed us. 

Jacksonville-Team allows Jacksonville to march down field at the end of the game, directly resulting in a loss.

New England-Team allows NE to score touchdown to tie the game right before halftime, giving NE  momentum which results in Bills' loss in 2nd half of game. 

NY Jets:  Team allows Jets to win game after they get into field goal range. 

In 75% of our games, when time came for the D to put up or shut up they allowed the other team to mount game winning or game altering drives. 

I'll say it now:  At the end of the season, do not give Gray's a new contract. Make Krumrie Defensive Coordinator.

65542[/snapback]

Wow, that's a great point. Never thought about it that way too. Great post. Oh, and on Gray, I said that he shouldn't have been the given the credit after last year also.

Here's another thought to ponder:  If you replace the Ravens defense with the Bills' last night - do they win that game?  Sadly, they probably don't, even as poorly as the Redskins played.  They probably give up more than 10 points after Boeller's 3 int's, and they certainly don't make the Ed Reed play that turned the game around. 

The great defenses can win games singlehandily.

The 2nd tier good defenses can at least close out a game when it's on the line.

Our defense does neither.  It's 3rd tier - I wouldn't say it sucks - but not much better than average.

65546[/snapback]

Exactly!

I have to thank Petrino for starting this defense and it's A-1 season non-sense.

We let Jax go the distance on us at home in week one with the game on the line.  That is a Grade A-1 CHOKE.  Jacksonville is a horrible offensive team.  That's the main reason it's classified as a choke.  Smash mouth, defense oriented team.  We had JAX right were we wanted them.  WIth our A-1 defense between them, 80 yards away from a score.  And they scored.  (Cough cough)

Oakland - A bad team also.  Also struggles on offense.  And while I think we did OK on the road, there's still the blunder of what was it???  Third and 30 and they scored?  Oakland has some of the worst QB'ing in the league.  (COUGH COUGH)

NE - Ummmmm, they lit us up like a Chrimmus tree.

And now the Jets.  LOL.  Pennington completes 31 of 42 for christs sakes.  That's over 70%.  The Jets score 16 points, miss a FG, and Pennington makes a horrible throw to bail out the Bills when he hit Posey at the 25 with what was a terrible decision to throw that pass.  Also, how about the play when a streaking WR lost the ball because he didn't cover it up (Priouleau punched it out) and that gave the ball back to us also.  Ummmmm, they also had the ball for 34 minutes, and accumed about 400 yards of offense despite making numerous mistakes.  See, why Jets fans think they easily could have scored 30 plus points?

Ummmmmm, let's grade it now.....

Choked, Played slightly above average, Torched, and Torched!  They only things we can hang our hat on is run defense up the gut, and we are getting some turnovers.

Season Grade C-  Not saying the offense is any better, but this defense is no where near worth its money!

65500[/snapback]

Just a quick edit, it was Clements that punched the ball out not PP. PP did recover it though.

Otherwise I agree with your post. This D is not very good if they let other teams score in crunch time and give up a ridiculous number of crucial 3rd down conversions.

The truth of this probably lies between the Bills being an A-1 defense and them being a sucky bunch of chokers.

They're not an A1 defense, because an A-1 defense slams the door in the situations you mention.

At the same time, they have held the score down in 3 of the 4 games they played. If you can team them with an offense that scores 20-24 pts a game, the defense will help lead the team to a winning record.

The Bills style of offense and defense don't mesh that well right now. You can make both points that if the D shut down the opponent in the 4th quarter, the Bills would be 3-1 AND if the Bill could score 20 points a game, they'd be 3-1.