Florida DE Jarvis Moss

OHBillsFan

While a lot of the Mocks have us taking Leon Hall or Okoye, I don't think that either player fills a gaping need or is a great value pick. We already have a big-money DT (Tripplett), 1st rounder (McCargo), and scrapper (KW). At corner, we could use some help after Clements walks but can patch the hole with a guy like Indy's Nick Harper.

Hopefully, the Bills won't be picking as high as 12 in the near future. Marv has the chance to grab an impact player like DE Jarvis Moss from Florida (6'6", 251). If you watched the Nat'l Championship game, you saw this guy harrassing Troy Smith all day long. I watched every Buckeyes game, and really felt that the offensive line was a huge strength. Moss made the Parade All-American Tackles look like Bennie Anderson.

While I realize that we are strong with Schobel; Moss would be the edge-rusher that we haven't had for a long time. Kelsay and Denney are nice players, but will never have the same impact that Moss could.

While a lot of the Mocks have us taking Leon Hall or Okoye, I don't think that either player fills a gaping need or is a great value pick. We already have a big-money DT (Tripplett), 1st rounder (McCargo), and scrapper (KW). At corner, we could use some help after Clements walks but can patch the hole with a guy like Indy's Nick Harper.

Hopefully, the Bills won't be picking as high as 12 in the near future. Marv has the chance to grab an impact player like DE Jarvis Moss from Florida (6'6", 251). If you watched the Nat'l Championship game, you saw this guy harrassing Troy Smith all day long. I watched every Buckeyes game, and really felt that the offensive line was a huge strength. Moss made the Parade All-American Tackles look like Bennie Anderson.

While I realize that we are strong with Schobel; Moss would be the edge-rusher that we haven't had for a long time. Kelsay and Denney are nice players, but will never have the same impact that Moss could.

too high for Moss.

Charles Johnson is a possibility at DE

What element? Is he a "high motor" black guy?

He's a BIG high motor black guy. Moss has the ability to bull rush or get around the outside and make plays in the backfield. He's also very good at stretching the field making it harder for RB's to turn the corner.

On the other side, while he can do all those things, he doesn't really do any one thing extremely well. I think his talent warrants a very late first or early second round pick. If he were still available at for our 2nd round pick (I highly doubt it), I would be pretty excited with that pick.

If he can't stop the run I don't want him.

What element? Is he a "high motor" black guy?

He's valuable in that he's not another "high motor" pass rusher! I expect Moss to have a solid combine and move himself into early-to-mid first round consideration. With Kelsay/Denney/Hargrove, we have plenty of all-effort guys. If you look at some of the great Cover-2 teams, many have had that top-flight speed rusher coming off the edge (Simion Rice, Dwight Freeney, Mark Anderson are examples).

He's valuable in that he's not another "high motor" pass rusher! I expect Moss to have a solid combine and move himself into early-to-mid first round consideration. With Kelsay/Denney/Hargrove, we have plenty of all-effort guys. If you look at some of the great Cover-2 teams, many have had that top-flight speed rusher coming off the edge (Simion Rice, Dwight Freeney, Mark Anderson are examples).

I agree with you that he has the potential to rise in the draft.

Unfortunately, we need to both stop the run and rush the passer from the interior better- before we need him.

If Kelsay leaves- we have Denney and Hargrove to rotate opposite of Schobel.

That being said, I like the idea of drafting an undersized, developmental speed rusher later in the draft that could occasionally be thrown in on third downs to rush the passer.

I agree with you that he has the potential to rise in the draft.

Unfortunately, we need to both stop the run and rush the passer from the interior better- before we need him.

If Kelsay leaves- we have Denney and Hargrove to rotate opposite of Schobel.

That being said, I like the idea of drafting an undersized, developmental speed rusher later in the draft that could occasionally be thrown in on third downs to rush the passer.

Does anybody really think a rotation of Denney and Hargrove is good enough?

Also, its very difficult to find a pass rusher on the 2nd day of the draft. A pass rusher is one of those things that, if you want it, you have to make it a priority and grab one pretty quickly. There's a few defensive ends that are projected in the area of the Bills' top pick, and its the position I'm most hoping we decide to address.

Also, its very difficult to find a pass rusher on the 2nd day of the draft. A pass rusher is one of those things that, if you want it, you have to make it a priority and grab one pretty quickly. There's a few defensive ends that are projected in the area of the Bills' top pick, and its the position I'm most hoping we decide to address.

Hargrove put up some good numbers with St Louis two seasons ago when he registered 6.5 sacks and 51 tackles. If he can reproduce those numbers here I'd definately say he could replace Kelsay. Of course I question if he can so I think the Bills be wise to bring in a free agent or draft someone to add to the rotation and replace Eric Powell if Kelsay's lost. Among those on my short list for UFAs are Chris Cooper, Jarret Johnson and Kenyon Coleman. In terms of the draft I'd love to come away with someone like Victor Abiamiri in the 2nd Round but doubt we'd use a high (I think he might be available in Round 2) pick on DE.

Generally, I do agree with you, but think you can also draft a third down rusher later.

Mark Anderson was taken on the second day of the draft last year by the Bears.

He performed well for them and looks to have a very bright future.

Unfortunately, with so many teams having switched to the cover two- many teams are looking for the same thing at DE- so those" less bulky" ends aren't dropping as far in the draft.

Generally, I do agree with you, but think you can also draft a third down rusher later.

Mark Anderson was taken on the second day of the draft last year by the Bears.

He performed well for them and looks to have a very bright future.

Unfortunately, with so many teams having switched to the cover two- many teams are looking for the same thing at DE- so those" less bulky" ends aren't dropping as far in the draft.

not to mention Jared Allen of the Chiefs, he was another late round pick that is a total stud. I loved when he pulled that fake on gandy and crushed our qb a couple years ago