offensive line...free agents

tennesseeboy

Guards available in free agency. Marv has said he is going to free agents for the o-line AND that he is willing to spend to the cap...soooooo....which is it? My favorite is Dockery

. Kris Dielman 6'4 310

52 games played with 29 starts in the last 32 games

2. Eric Steinbach 6'6 1/4 297

63 games played with 62 starts

3. Jacob Bell 6'4 3/4 302

39 games 30 starts.

*Would cost us 2nd or 3rd via RFA.

4. Derrick Dockery 6'6 347

64 games with 61 starts

5. Cooper Carlisle 6'5 3/8 297

95 games with 38 starts

6. Stacy Andrews 6'6 1/8 342

31 games with 3 starts

4th round pick in 2004.

Shawn Andrews brother.

Out did Shawn in every statistical category at the combine.

All American in Track and Field.

Only played 1 season of college football.

Get him while he's young and unknown.

7. Leonard Davis 6'5 7/8 370

91 games with 91 starts

Guards available in free agency. Marv has said he is going to free agents for the o-line AND that he is willing to spend to the cap...soooooo....which is it? My favorite is Dockery

. Kris Dielman 6'4 310

52 games played with 29 starts in the last 32 games

2. Eric Steinbach 6'6 1/4 297

63 games played with 62 starts

3. Jacob Bell 6'4 3/4 302

39 games 30 starts.

*Would cost us 2nd or 3rd via RFA.

4. Derrick Dockery 6'6 347 X

64 games with 61 starts

5. Cooper Carlisle 6'5 3/8 297 X

95 games with 38 starts

31 games with 3 starts

4th round pick in 2004.

Shawn Andrews brother.

7. Leonard Davis 6'5 7/8 370 X

91 games with 91 starts

X = No Thank you.

Here's a short list I compiled awhile ago:

LG Eric Steinbach

LG Kris Dielman

LG/RG/C Sean Mahan

LG Derrick Dockery

RG/C Andre Gurode

RG Cosey Coleman

spot starter at RG Montrae Holland

OG/OT Floyd Womack

I personally think getting a guy like Dielman and drafting Justin Blalock with our top pick be a great plan of attack as just see us shelling out the money for Steinbach but have a feeling we might end up with Mahan and maybe draft a guy like Manuel Ramirez in the 3rd instead. I'd also be in favor of also getting a Floyd Womack to be a backup OG/OT who I feel be an upgrade to Mike Gandy.

31 games with 3 starts

4th round pick in 2004.

Shawn Andrews brother.

RFA, Tenny. And with Steinbach being shown the door, I doubt the B'gals are going to part with him via trade.

The Gandy situation is a tough one. He played much better as a guard the Tackle and JP said later in the season that he was the leader on that line. Do you keep him around at guard and bring in another one to replace Preston, or look for 2 more and keep Preston and/or Gandy around for depth

I think the best plan for this would be keep Gandy, sign one of the better free agent guard, let the line coach figure out which one should man which guard position, and draft a guard in the 3rd or so to train to take over for Gandy in another year/two.

I'll throw in 2 names that Chris Brown mentioned in his blog entry recently: Ryan Lilja and Jake Scott.

Here is a snippet from his blog:

Indy has Their starting LG Ryan Lilja is a restricted free agent. The Colts are not in a position right now to tender Lilja at all. To protect him at all they'd need to use the second round tender of $1.5 million. Obviously they'd have to do some manuevering just to tender him. Assuming they don't by the end of the month, a team can sign Lilja to an offer sheet and not owe the Colts any compensation. That guy would be a steal in that scenario.

Indy's starting right guard Jake Scott was a former 5th round pick. Again assuming Indy can't create the cap space, a team would only have to surrender a 5th round pick if he was offered the low tender ($850K) by the Colts. Teams are going to jump on these two starting interior linemen if Indy can't make the moves to tender them at more than the low level. If they can't give them a tender offer at all they'll become unrestricted free agents.

I'll throw in 2 names that Chris Brown mentioned in his blog entry recently: Ryan Lilja and Jake Scott.

Here is a snippet from his blog:

Teams are going to jump on these two starting interior linemen if Indy can't make the moves to tender them at more than the low level. If they can't give them a tender offer at all they'll become unrestricted free agents.

Both Lilja and Scott seem on the small side as both are listed as under 300 lbs. Plus one has to wonder if they are as good as their stats indicate or a product of a good system/QB behind them. As let's not forget Rick DeMulling was a free agent a few years ago and looked to be a good pick up. Yet we lost a chance to sign him when he choose to sign with Detroit. He saw himself on the bench for the Lions, of course we might want to consider him again but I didn't list him based on his aforementioned short comings. Of course Sean Kugler might be able to offer some insite as he worked with DeMulling in 2005 when they were in Detroit.