Dre' Bly Seeking Trade

Mikie2times

McGahee and a 2nd round pick for Dre Bly? WTF are you smoking? Must be some good schit. The article said that he felt uncomfortable in the cover 2 and doesn't like it...Why in the hell would he like it in cold ass Buffalo? I know it's the offseason and there is little to talk about but I think this is a horrible idea. I wouldn't even give up Willis in a straight up deal. No way, no how. Just my thoughts.

When next year roles round everybody will cry when Willis walks and we get nothing. He's a good back but he's not a good fit for this team. We might suffer a bit with his replacement but that’s an issue only one year away anyway. Also just because both teams say they play the cover 2 and the media has said the cover 2 is all zone it doesn't mean either team plays all zone. It also doesn't mean both teams play the cover 2 the same way. In fact it wasn't that way at all last year as Nate locked up Man on the opposing teams best WR more times then not. It's also not going to be that way next year if Jauron is true to his comments and we get bigger on the DL. To fill Nates shoes you need a damn good player, and Nates role last year is exactly the type of role Bly is looking for. Throw in the previous connection with Jauron and I don't see how this is that crazy in the scheme of hypothetical player for player trades.

McGahee and a 2nd round pick for Dre Bly? WTF are you smoking? Must be some good schit. The article said that he felt uncomfortable in the cover 2 and doesn't like it...Why in the hell would he like it in cold ass Buffalo? I know it's the offseason and there is little to talk about but I think this is a horrible idea. I wouldn't even give up Willis in a straight up deal. No way, no how. Just my thoughts.

I'm not a Willis fan- but certainly a number 2 pick and McGahee for Bly is not a possibility for consideration.

How would you fill the hole at rb?

For one you bring in some quality G's. Past that I see Willis leaving after 2006 as a sure thing. He's a good RB but he's just not the perfect fit for us at RB. If he has a great year Marv won't over pay for him, and if he doesn't I think we look in a different direction anyway. In the meantime I would look to a moderate costing FA, AND a 2nd or 3rd rounder. I'm trying to fill a void at CB for at least 3 years at the expense of having a void created at RB for 1 year. Since that void is probably going to happen after this season anyway I feel it’s worth it.

For one you bring in some quality G's. Past that I see Willis leaving after 2006 as a sure thing. He's a good RB but he's just not the perfect fit for us at RB. If he has a great year Marv won't over pay for him, and if he doesn't I think we look in a different direction anyway. In the meantime I would look to a moderate costing FA, AND a 2nd or 3rd rounder. I'm trying to fill a void at CB for at least 3 years at the expense of having a void created at RB for 1 year. Since that void is probably going to happen after this season anyway I feel it’s worth it.

I am very open to trading him- though it has to be worth our while.

I don't want to trade him to trade him. Why create another hole on a team that has quite a few already?

What moderate priced free agents are out there?

I definitely can see us picking up a young, more versatile rb in the draft to share the load and complement Willis.

I do agree McGahee is not a guy you want to overpay.

IMHO there is no way i would give him up for Bly. There are corners we can get in free agency for free who would do just as good in a cover two defense.

Add James Hall and Marcus Bell to the Marinelli purge in Detroit...

Hall, DE 6'2" 280

Comment:

Hall is very active, tenacious and consistent. He is the ultimate try-hard player. His first-step quickness probably is his best feature. He is a smooth athlete who changes directions well and has good body control. He avoids contact and is difficult to block because he always is on the move. He is instinctive and has great awareness and a feel for blocking angles. He plays with excellent leverage. He is a great pursuit player who makes more than his share of backside plays. He is very good at locating the ball while on the move. He excels on blitzes and stunts and always seems to be around the ball. He can be effective in some zone-blitz situations. But Hall is undersized and lacks power. He can be overpowered at the point of attack when reached. He lacks great edge speed and is able to finish plays based more on his effort than any closing burst.

Marcus Bell 6'2" 325 DT

Comment:

Bell has a good combination of size, athleticism and experience. He plays with a bit of a chip on his shoulder. He is intense and isn't afraid to mix it up. He has the bulk to play two-gap techniques and stuff the run at the point of attack. He has enough first-step quickness to be a fairly effective inside penetrator. He uses his hands pretty effectively and can get separation from blockers. He can handle the double team and stack at the point of attack. He is tough to move out of the hole. But Bell is limited by his conditioning and stamina. He tends to get heavy and wear down. He gets sloppy in his techniques and becomes far less effective when tired. He gets gassed when matched up in a lot of short-area fistfights. He probably never will be an every-down player.

BLy would be a great edition to the team. Hey! That's one less position that we need to go after in the draft.

This year, we cannot afford to give up draft picks....We need FA and draft picks to fill all the holes on this team......We just cannot afford to give up more draft picks....

Bly's only under contract for one more season, 2007, and at a cost of about $4 million. YOu have to believe that the Lions are either considering releasing him straight-out, or expecting a low return since the new team will need to work out a longer deal or lose him right away.