Did Peyton deserve the MVP?

Come on! Peyton threw for 247 yards in that monsoon and his ability to stretch the defense (the Bears were playing their safeties some 15-17 yards off the LOS) and spread the defense with 3 WR's (which forces the Bears to use more DB's, who can be run on), are the reasons why Addai and Rhodes racked-up the yards.

Bingo! You think the huge rushing game had anything to do with the fact that the defense had to respect (fear) Peyton's arm? So basically he accounted for 247 yards passing (without the raining conditions would've been more) and helped really open up the rushing game. Addai and Rhodes ran hard, but without Peyton, this is a much different game.

Remember, it's "Most VALUABLE Player", not "Player With the Best Stats". Peyton had good stats, kept his offense on the field with big third down conversions, and opened up the rushing game for his teammates.

MVP, you bet.

Good synopsis.

Not JUST the leader but the QB who audibled into and out of running plays, managed the game very well, and lets face it, lead them up and down the field aginst a very good Chicago defense in the rain. It could not have been setup any better for the Bears than getting a game in the non-stop rain and a kickoff for a TD followed by an INT. If GROSSman and the O had a decent game, they could have won.

Nevertheless, Manning was the MVP. period.

I haven't read through the entire thread to see if anyone else said this, but during the 4th quarter my first thought was to give the MVP to the Colts' starting OL. They not only kept the "vaunted" Chicago front four off of Peyton for 38 out of 39 dropbacks, they also cleared the way for 175+ rushing yards. For a game in which no ONE player absolutely stood out, that would have been a nice gesture.

I think so for the following reasons:

--he's clearly the team leader

--no clear cut alternative; the running game owes as much to the OL as does the pass protection

--the running game opened up as a result of his solid first half throwing the ball. clearly the line and receivers played well too, but he's the one who had to throw it in the rain.

no. they should have given it to Chicago's defensive co-ordinator. He was definitely Indy's MVP.

What a brilliant strategy to put no pressure on Manning and give him the underneath game on almost every down. Instead of scoring in 3 plays, it just took him 10 or 15, chewed up the clock, and kept the Bear's defense on the field for pretty much the entire game.

no. they should have given it to Chicago's defensive co-ordinator. He was definitely Indy's MVP.

What a brilliant strategy to put no pressure on Manning and give him the underneath game on almost every down. Instead of scoring in 3 plays, it just took him 10 or 15, chewed up the clock, and kept the Bear's defense on the field for pretty much the entire game.

Uh, you've pretty much detailed the blueprint for how to beat the Colts in 2006. It's the exact same recipe that kept a clearly inferior (at the time) Buffalo Bills team within 1 point of the eventual Super Bowl Champions. Bend but don't break, no long plays, force short, incremental gains, take the WRs out of the game, and force Manning to string together long drives. Every additional play in a drive increases the odds for a drive-killing mistake or turnover.

In this case, it didn't work, because the Colts made very few drive-killing mistakes and the Bears tackled very poorly. I can't say I blame the coordinator though, as the theory was sound.

I'd have to give it to the entire offensive line. No, they never award it that way, but those backs ran through some monster holes and Manning had good protection nearly all game.

I'd agree with the OL. They were the difference-makers for Peyton, Addai, and Rhodes combined.

Bingo! You think the huge rushing game had anything to do with the fact that the defense had to respect (fear) Peyton's arm? So basically he accounted for 247 yards passing (without the raining conditions would've been more) and helped really open up the rushing game. Addai and Rhodes ran hard, but without Peyton, this is a much different game.

Remember, it's "Most VALUABLE Player", not "Player With the Best Stats". Peyton had good stats, kept his offense on the field with big third down conversions, and opened up the rushing game for his teammates.

MVP, you bet.

Have to agree. Who is a better choice? Like him or not, he got the job done!