EV-DO Service with Verizon and/or Sprint

stevestojan

Feedback?

How is the speed? Is it worth it for the $45 or so a month?

I am shopping for a new smartphone and was looking for one with wi-fi but if EVDO is decent, it would clearly be better than wi-fi as not hotspot is needed.

Thanks!

I use Cingular's 3G network on my Blackjack...does very well, from checking email to streaming video (live TV from my desktop at home is pretty sweet when I'm stuck at work on game day).

Using it (SPRINT) right now--sitting on the Tarmac in San Jose -- connectivity anywhere/anytime is great--speeds and feeds are not usually reliable--average down is probably 200-300K -- average up 75-150K---it does the job for e-mail and voicemail but not for significant downloads...I pay for it with saving hotel broadband charges alone..

I recently bought a Slingbox and was going to upgrade my Verizon cellphone so I could watch the Sabres games if my wife drags me ought shopping. Unfortunately, I discovered Verizon will not allow streaming video from there wireless network.

denied

Why not get a cellphone with both wi-fi and EVDO? I just got a Samsung i730 (Windows Mobile 5) and I love it - like having a computer with me. EVDO speeds are good - I usually get at least 300K reliably, but so much depends on exactly where you are.

Verizon is a pain with their data plans - even their "unlimited" data plan isn't really unlimited - if they see you using too much bandwidth they send you a letter pointing out the fine print of their "unlimited" deal - no streaming audio/video, no tethering (using your phone as a modem for a laptop), etc. Fortunately I've found the best place for talking about all this stuff - people who know each and every smartphone inside and out (and how to get around the Verizon restictions!).

Checkout www.pdaphonehome.com - you'll get all your questions answered.

I have the Sprint PPC 9300 (i believe) and it uses EVDO. I don't get out of work till 8, so I usually have to catch the 1st period on my phone while the day dies down @ work via my slingbox. EVDO is only as good as your local coverage, so I'd check the coverage maps before buying it. Also, with sprint, the EVDO network is only $10 a month more than the regular bill (same as regular internet), unless your using the "phone as a modem package" which lets you connect over the internet on your phone.