Protecting Our Borders?

Obama will make an excellent president,

Based on what? What significant legislation has he worked out and had the ability to bring all sides together to pass? What is his voting record? What has he personally done to make life better for those in his state? What has he done to show that he has a firm grasp of national and international politics and policies? Other then being a "media star" and an African American name something anything that he has done to make us better? Did he serve in the military? Something anything.......

Based on what? What significant legislation has he worked out and had the ability to bring all sides together to pass? What is his voting record? What has he personally done to make life better for those in his state? What has he done to show that he has a firm grasp of national and international politics and policies? Other then being a "media star" and an African American name something anything that he has done to make us better? Did he serve in the military? Something anything.......

I agree with his political views on a majority of issues, Bill. He's pro-choice, he's for universal health care, for affirmative action, against the death penalty, for net neutrality, in favor of ethics reforms, says he would have voted no to go to war with Iraq. I don't like his stance on gay marriage, but he's for legislation to protect sexual orientation from descrimination and we are in complete agreement on there being no gay marriage ban amendment. I don't like his boarder fence support, but I agree with him in that we should extend health care and Medicare to undocumented workers and make it easier for them to become citizens. We both agree that the Patriot Act goes too far. The list of what we agree on is pretty extensive. There are things I wish he'd agree with me on as well, particularly gay marriage, but he's at least for civil unions and against a ban, so it's a start.

That I don't live in Illinois doesn't deter me from voting for him, and the fact that he doesn't have a long legislative rap-sheet is in his favor. And quite frankly, It doesn't bother me in the least that he's never served in the military. I wasn't aware that that was a pre-requisite. If it was, Gore and/or Kerry would be president, and not Commander Codpiece.

I agree with his political views on a majority of issues, Bill. He's pro-choice, he's for universal health care, for affirmative action, against the death penalty, for net neutrality, in favor of ethics reforms, says he would have voted no to go to war with Iraq. I don't like his stance on gay marriage, but he's for legislation to protect sexual orientation from descrimination and we are in complete agreement on there being no gay marriage ban amendment. I don't like his boarder fence support, but I agree with him in that we should extend health care and Medicare to undocumented workers and make it easier for them to become citizens. We both agree that the Patriot Act goes too far. The list of what we agree on is pretty extensive. There are things I wish he'd agree with me on as well, particularly gay marriage, but he's at least for civil unions and against a ban, so it's a start.

That I don't live in Illinois doesn't deter me from voting for him, and the fact that he doesn't have a long legislative rap-sheet is in his favor. And quite frankly, It doesn't bother me in the least that he's never served in the military. I wasn't aware that that was a pre-requisite. If it was, Gore and/or Kerry would be president, and not Commander Codpiece.

So he has policically correct views. What piece of legislation has he authored and able to push through to signing. What ability does he have to sway the masses. I have lots of views but saying and doing are two different things. Again what has he ever done?

So he has policically correct views. What piece of legislation has he authored and able to push through to signing. What ability does he have to sway the masses. I have lots of views but saying and doing are two different things. Again what has he ever done?

Up until a few weeks ago the Dems were in the minority and weren't able to get anything through. You can go to the congressional record yourself to see the legislation he authored. Ability to sway the masses? If you're alluding to "reaching across the aisle", I'd say after the past six years that wouldn't be too high on your party's list of requirements. Why should it be high on mine? As for politically correct views, I'm probably not taking that as big a negative as you are (or the insult you may be using it as), because they seem to line up pretty well with Johnny Coli's views.

Up until a few weeks ago the Dems were in the minority and weren't able to get anything through. You can go to the congressional record yourself to see the legislation he authored. Ability to sway the masses? If you're alluding to "reaching across the aisle", I'd say after the past six years that wouldn't be too high on your party's list of requirements. Why should it be high on mine? As for politically correct views, I'm probably not taking that as big a negative as you are (or the insult you may be using it as), because they seem to line up pretty well with Johnny Coli's views.

Again they are all politically correct positions according to the non-religious media. And yes if he is such a "superstar" why didn't he author anything and reach across the aisle to pass it. Ted Kennedy and crew did with NCLB. Of course now that it has become a pariah program he doesn't admit to co-authoring it. But it happens. Just like George Allen who seemed to be high on everyones list a year ago, I didn't like him for the same reason. Seemed to say a lot but did nothing to back it up. Another person I would not and didn't vote for due to lack of actually doing anything. Actions speak louder then words. I don't want someone in office if I don't know when their veto pen is coming out.

Universal health care: the current U.S. health care system is a mess. Universal health care could, in theory be an improvement; if our government didn't mess things up. Given our government's track record, I'm not too optimistic.

Affirmative action: this tends to make the hiring and firing process more political; and is just another restriction on American companies' ability to compete. The way to fight discrimination in the workplace is to create economic conditions in which people can choose from very many good employers; as is already the case in Silicon Valley.

Death penalty: some criminals deserve to die.

Net neutrality: a necessary measure.

Ethics reforms: clearly ethics reforms are badly needed. Can they be achieved in a way which diminishes the voices large corporations and government unions have on Capitol Hill, while at the same time not being an attack against the Democratic or Republican parties? I hope so.

Gay marriage: is problematic because of adoption issues.

Border fence: absolutely necessary to prevent the U.S. from being assimilated by illegal aliens.

Extend health care and Medicare to illegal aliens: no. We should send illegal aliens back to their countries of origin.

Patriot Act: yes, it's gone too far. The government ought not to be allowed to engage in privacy violations unless there's accountability of some sort. Secret warrants are a good tool for that.

I don't mind them here. I have worked with many of them here over the years. I have hired many of them over the years. They are hard-working, pleasant, amicable co-workers, who, quite frankly have a far better work ethic than many of the shiftless, lazy americans I have had the displeasure of working with over the years. Which one of us is the more open-minded of the two?

You sure are one benevolent person. :blink: You were kind enough to hire illegal aliens. Did they get a fair compensation package?

It is also interesting to note that you feel ALL illegals are such wonderful people. That's really nice.

While I strongly agree about SOME of them, I was hoping you would tell me who those people are that are filling up the jails, taking over neighborhoods in LA, and shooting young African American children with their stray bullets. Never mind.....all is well, no? :D I guess those guys in prison gangs are just a mirage.

Speaking of African-Americans, whatever would make you choose the above term, "lazy and shiftless?" A self proclaimed intellectual like you should know that these exact words were used for decades as a racial slur. Seriously, I am all for free speech, but using terms such as this could hurt others. Are hurtful racial comments becoming the flavor of the day for weak kneed, wishy-washy liberals? :lol:

Not only that.....you are making a statement that all illegal aliens are wonderful workers, Americans are not, and at the same time declaring yourself to be "open-minded." :blink: Great! :wallbash:

C'mon man, you can do better than this........perhaps.

Speaking of African-Americans, whatever would make you choose the above term, "lazy and shiftless?" A self proclaimed intellectual like you should know that these exact words were used for decades as a racial slur. Seriously, I am all for free speech, but using terms such as this could hurt others. Are hurtful racial comments becoming the flavor of the day for weak kneed, wishy-washy liberals? :rolleyes:

I think that a 5 minute reading of Coli's blog would reveal that lazy & shiftless does not apply to any particular color.

Maybe Mexicans don't understand staring at a ceiling fan, because it's in a different language.

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't want to start a new immigration thread... so I figured I'd resurrect the most recent one.

From Ruben Navarrette's most recent article on CNN:(http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/26/navarrette.immigration/index.html)

According to him, these are some of the "worst" ideas reagarding illegal immigrants:

States such as Utah and Virginia are threatening to eliminate in-state tuition rates for illegal immigrant students who attend public colleges and universities.

So in his opinion an out of state student should pay more than a person in the country illegally. Nice one Ruben.

In Maryland, State Delegate Ronald A. George and Sen. Janet Greenip, both Republicans, have filed bills that would require anyone applying for a state driver's license to show proof that they're in the country legally.

OMFG! How terrible. Just a slippery slope away from internment camps. Of course never mind the insurance implications.

Last year, the Colorado Legislature approved legislation that requires that those who apply for state-funded programs must prove they are legal U.S. residents and sign an affidavit to that effect.

Wait a minute, you mean I shouldn't care if people who sneak here illegally are sapping an already burdened welfare system? At least these guys aren't taking a job away from someone. Whew!

I sent him a note to ask him why he thinks these idea are so bad, considering he offered no reason in his article. Feel free to do the same:

ruben.navarrette@uniontrib.com