Doesn't Look Like 'Enormous Progress' To Me

http://www.antiwar.com/updates/?articleid=10416

January 28, 2007

Sunday: 404 Iraqis, 5 GIs Killed; 173 Iraqis Injured; US Helicopter Shot Down

Updated at 10:15 p.m. EST, Jan. 28, 2007

In Iraq, at least 404 Iraqis were killed or found dead today and another 173 were injured in various attacks during the festival of Ashura. Three more American servicemembers were killed in separate incidents, and a U.S. helicopter was shot down, killing two more soldiers as well.

The U.S. military reported that a Marine died from wounds he received during combat in Anbar province. Roadside bombs killed a soldier and an MP in separate incidents north of Baghdad as well. Also, a U.S. helicopter was shot down near Najaf; no details about casualties were released.

In Najaf, several clashes are taking place. Police are reporting that about at least 250 gunmen and three Iraqi soldiers have been killed and 21 soldiers have been injured. Six police officers were killed in the initial fighting. As many as 300 gunmen may have been killed in the clashes. Also, a U.S. helicopter supporting Iraqi forces was shot down as well. Many pilgrims heading to Karbala for the holy festival of Ashura are in the area.

The holy festival of Ashura culminates on Tuesday. It marks several historical events, in particular the martyrdom of the Prophet Muhammad's grandson at Karbala. The last few years have seen increased violence associated with the holiday, which Shi'ite Muslims consider a solemn day of mourning. It also marks one of the divisions that separate Shi'ite Muslims from their Sunni brethren.

In Baghdad, 54 unidentified bodies were found dumped in several locations. Five girls were killed and 21 others wounded when mortars fell on the Khalid secondary school in the Adil area; Adil has been the target of dozens of mortars rounds since Friday morning. In Sadr City, a car bomb near a market killed four people and injured 39 others; women were among the casualties. A bomb in a minibus killed one and wounded seven in an eastern neighborhood. At a Bayaa outdoor market, a bomb in a bag killed five and wounded 20, including children. A car bomb in the Qahira area killed two and wounded four others. At least eight other people were killed by a car bombs today.

Also in the capital, an advisor to the Minister of Industry, Adel Abdel-Mohsen, two daughters and three companions were gunned down in the Yarmouk district. Earlier, an adviser for the Agriculture Ministry was also killed in the same area; four others in the vehicle also died. On a road south of the capital, two Iraqi soldiers were killed and four injured when gunmen attacked their patrol.

At a busy market in Kirkuk, a car bomb killed eight and wounded 15 in a mixed Shi’ite-Kurd neighborhood. A suicide car bomber killed eight more and injured 19 near a warehouse in a mostly Kurd area. Two more people were killed by a roadside bomb. A bullet-riddled body was found outside of town.

Two civilians were killed and four wounded in Fallujah when a bomb was exploded near a mosque. A roadside bomb injured three policemen.

In Suwayra, three Iraqi soldiers were killed, four soldiers wounded and a militant injured during clashes.

Three gunmen were killed in Ramadi, according to local tribal leaders. Two Iraqi children were killed when a mortar hit their school.

In Iskandariya, two soldiers were killed and two injured when a taxi they were in was sprayed with gunfire.

Two police officers received head injuries during a robbery in Duluiya that netted the thieves over 400 million dinars (US $300,000).

Six gunmen were killed and four police officers were wounded during clashes in Mosul. A college student was killed and another person kidnapped.

Mortars fell on Hilla where they killed ten people, mostly women and children.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh joy, just what PPP needs. :worthy:

another BushBad thread by Molson <_<

The reality of Iraq is a "Bad Bush Post"

LOL! Come on now, call it all lies! Or say a scholl got painted somewhere and the media should give that equal time to all these violence.

Its pretty sad that this being the biggest story of our generation and so many people just want to run away from the truth of it

Groundhog Day.

http://www.antiwar.com/updates/?articleid=10416

January 28, 2007

Sunday: 404 Iraqis, 5 GIs Killed; 173 Iraqis Injured; US Helicopter Shot Down

Updated at 10:15 p.m. EST, Jan. 28, 2007

In Iraq, at least 404 Iraqis were killed or found dead today and another 173 were injured in various attacks during the festival of Ashura. Three more American servicemembers were killed in separate incidents, and a U.S. helicopter was shot down, killing two more soldiers as well.

The U.S. military reported that a Marine died from wounds he received during combat in Anbar province. Roadside bombs killed a soldier and an MP in separate incidents north of Baghdad as well. Also, a U.S. helicopter was shot down near Najaf; no details about casualties were released.

In Najaf, several clashes are taking place. Police are reporting that about at least 250 gunmen and three Iraqi soldiers have been killed and 21 soldiers have been injured. Six police officers were killed in the initial fighting. As many as 300 gunmen may have been killed in the clashes. Also, a U.S. helicopter supporting Iraqi forces was shot down as well. Many pilgrims heading to Karbala for the holy festival of Ashura are in the area.

The "404 Iraqis" killed in the sub-header includes the 250-300 insurgents killed by combined Iraqi police and U.S. forces! :sick: So, yeah, I guess when you mourn the !@#$s that our troops and the Iraqi police are killing, things look pretty terrible. <_<

I can't believe Molson couldn't find time to post this article.

WNY native leaving Iraq better off

By JERRY ZREMSKI

News Washington Bureau Chief

1/28/2007

Marine Brig. Gen. Reist is proud of his work in Iraq.

WASHINGTON - A year after being assigned to help Iraqis rebuild the economy and the government of a city devastated by two of the war's biggest battles, Marine Brig. Gen. David G. Reist is about to leave Iraq knowing that the reconstruction job has at least begun.

"It's a slow process," Reist, a Town of Tonawanda native, said in a telephone interview from the battle-scarred city of Fallujah. "At this stage in our deployment, we've planted some seeds, and they're beginning to grow."

:worthy::sick::sick:

Groundhog Day.

The "404 Iraqis" killed in the sub-header includes the 250-300 insurgents killed by combined Iraqi police and U.S. forces! :sick: So, yeah, I guess when you mourn the !@#$s that our troops and the Iraqi police are killing, things look pretty terrible. <_<

I can't believe Molson couldn't find time to post this article.

:worthy::sick::sick:

So killing Iraqis is progress? Thought we were going to dump the body counts? With 60% of Iraqios supporting attacks on our troops, 350 is a drop in a very big buckey.

As to you article, thanks for posting. Don't blame me for *missing* it. If you guys think that really shows progress, keep posting it yourself. The article just sounds like a "lip stick on a pig" article.

Marine Brig. Gen. David G. Reist is about to leave Iraq knowing that the reconstruction job has at least begun.
Just begun? Almost 4 years in? "Enormous Progress," indeed! Keep posting the 'Enormous Progress' articles, though. I read it. No problem

So killing Iraqis is progress? Thought we were going to dump the body counts? With 60% of Iraqios supporting attacks on our troops, 350 is a drop in a very big buckey.
You do realize (maybe you don't) that it is Iraqi militias who are targeting civilians over there right? And therefore killing those particular Iraqis would count as progress. I'm pretty sure the U.S. troops taking part in the battle feel that way, even if you don't.

As to you article, thanks for posting. Don't blame me for *missing* it. If you guys think that really shows progress, keep posting it yourself. The article just sounds like a "lip stick on a pig" article.

Just begun? Almost 4 years in? "Enormous Progress," indeed! Keep posting the 'Enormous Progress' articles, though. I read it. No problem

Marine Brig. Gen. David G. Reist is proud of his accomplishments over three tours of duty in Iraq but if he wants to tell you about them you say it's "lipstick on a pig." Tell us again how you support the troops. What happened to you basing opinions on what people who had been over there were saying? Oh, that's right, you're full of crap. :worthy:

We're going to save this thread and put it alongside the one about how happy you were about Rick Santorum's daughter crying to prove how brilliant and wonderful you are. <_<

1) You do realize (maybe you don't) that it is Iraqi militias who are targeting civilians over there right? And therefore killing those particular Iraqis would count as progress. I'm pretty sure the U.S. troops taking part in the battle feel that way, even if you don't.

Marine Brig. Gen. David G. Reist is proud of his accomplishments over three tours of duty in Iraq but if he wants to tell you about them you say it's "lipstick on a pig." Tell us again how you support the troops. What happened to you basing opinions on what people who had been over there were saying? Oh, that's right, you're full of crap. :worthy:

We're going to save this thread and put it alongside the one about how happy you were about Rick Santorum's daughter crying to prove how brilliant and wonderful you are. <_<

1) You do realize--maybe you don't--that they are in a civil war, right? We are shooting both ways. The place is a complete disaster. I know you think there has been "Enormous Progress" because you said Cheney was right. Your proof???? Go on to Number Two

2) The Proof?? LOL, this is great, a Marine is proud of his service. That's proof? Give me a break! Who is full of crap? Lots of people are proud of stuff, doesn't mean its 'Enormous Progress' in Iraq. Gees.....

1) You do realize--maybe you don't--that they are in a civil war, right? We are shooting both ways. The place is a complete disaster. I know you think there has been "Enormous Progress" because you said Cheney was right. Your proof???? Go on to Number Two

2) The Proof?? LOL, this is great, a Marine is proud of his service. That's proof? Give me a break! Who is full of crap? Lots of people are proud of stuff, doesn't mean its 'Enormous Progress' in Iraq. Gees.....

1. Cheney didn't say "enormous progress." He said "enormous successes." This is important because you are misquoting the very quotes you thought were so important that you started a thread about them. It's that attention to detail that has earned you so much respect around here. <_<

2. I think there have been successes because there are lots of guys like Reist who come back and talk about them. I know you think you're smarter than the guy who just served three tours of duty there. So maybe he's just putting "lipstick on a pig" right?

Bottom line is that tonight you started another inane thread in which you copied an article from antiwar.com that misrepresents the latest events in Iraq. The Associated Press is no fan of the war, but even their article doesn't try to confuse the insurgents/militants who target civilians with the civilians who are killed. Then you tried to cover your tracks by taking a dump on a guy who just served his third tour of duty in Iraq. Way to go. :worthy:

The reality of Iraq is a "Bad Bush Post"

LOL! Come on now, call it all lies! Or say a scholl got painted somewhere and the media should give that equal time to all these violence.

Its pretty sad that this being the biggest story of our generation and so many people just want to run away from the truth of it

Your crusade is as tiring as the crusade of your hero GW Bush

What about three elections in a place that hasn't had an election in years... Isn't that success? Enormous success? You could debate it, but most likely it is... Have they ever had an election prior to this? I mean, of course, an 'election' in which 100% of the people in Iraq don't vote for Saddam Hussein...

1. Cheney didn't say "enormous progress." He said "enormous successes." This is important because you are misquoting the very quotes you thought were so important that you started a thread about them. It's that attention to detail that has earned you so much respect around here. <_<

2. I think there have been successes because there are lots of guys like Reist who come back and talk about them. I know you think you're smarter than the guy who just served three tours of duty there. So maybe he's just putting "lipstick on a pig" right?

3) Bottom line is that tonight you started another inane thread in which you copied an article from antiwar.com that misrepresents the latest events in Iraq. The Associated Press is no fan of the war, but even their article doesn't try to confuse the insurgents/militants who target civilians with the civilians who are killed. Then you tried to cover your tracks by taking a dump on a guy who just served his third tour of duty in Iraq. Way to go. :worthy:

1) Gees, get a grip! Big difference between "Progress" and "Success." You act like it changed the meaning, which it didn't. Shows you are grasping at straws. I don't care to be respected around here, BTW. People that literally hate the truth to death are not the type of people I want liking me.

2) Smarter? I very well might be smarter. Did you mean more informed? He might be that. Still, you sighted him as proof of progress which made me laugh. Even he, the guy on his third tour already--how many more tours will we send him back for?--admits that here on that third tour progress has just started. Bout time! And the military has been claiming that since 2003. So 6 months from now someone else might say the same thing.

3) Inane thread? Because you disagreed with who should be counted as the killed? Did you read the rest of the article? Car bombs, assassinations, mass killings, torture, mortar attacks, major gun battles, a copter shot down and general choas. Yup, you really proved your point that Cheney was right!

How many more tours of duty should we send our boys in for? You seem to think its fine just sending them to that hell hole over and over again. What the hell, they signed up, right? Iraq is a failed state and no matter what our troops do there isn't going to be a stable republican form of government. Not with those people running things.

So the lives lost in Iraq don't bother you? Great

Thats not what I said, dipshit. I said your endless crusade and daily reactionary regurgitation of talking points fed to you by dubious sources, and then distortions and misrepresentastion of people's retorts to your mindless posts are whats annoying. You twist and misrepresnt what is said in any article you trot out, anbd then when people point that out to you, you misrepresent and twist that??!!??

Youre a stupid, immature liar who misrepresents what people say both in whats in print and what people respond to your nonsense and rubbish to fit your own twisted POV on a topic and its getting really old.

Cut the BS talking points, the lies, the distortions and the annoying crusade. We are fed up. Even people who frequent this board who loathe the Administration and who generally agree with the anti-war sentiment are tired of your bull sh--.

Thats not what I said, dipshit. I said your endless crusade and daily reactionary regurgitation of talking points fed to you by dubious sources, and then distortions and misrepresentastion of people's retorts to your mindless posts are whats annoying. You twist and misrepresnt what is said in any article you trot out, anbd then when people point that out to you, you misrepresent and twist that??!!??

Youre a stupid, immature liar who misrepresents what people say both in whats in print and what people respond to your nonsense and rubbish to fit your own twisted POV on a topic and its getting really old.

Cut the BS talking points, the lies, the distortions and the annoying crusade. We are fed up. Even people who frequent this board who loathe the Administration and who generally agree with the anti-war sentiment are tired of your bull sh--.

Chuckle, ok, thanks for clearing that up. BTW, what talking points in I using? Point them out, please

What about three elections in a place that hasn't had an election in years... Isn't that success? Enormous success? You could debate it, but most likely it is... Have they ever had an election prior to this? I mean, of course, an 'election' in which 100% of the people in Iraq don't vote for Saddam Hussein...

Well, that's just not true at all. There were elections when Saddam was in power. And he was enormously popular. He got, like, 100% of the vote every election. You hardly ever see that anywhere.