Prehistoric shark video...

Buftex

Yes, of course they felt compelled to catch this rare being and, of course, it died soon after.

I try not to be too cynical, but deep down I know that mankind eventually will be undone by its own embedded instinct to destroy everything in its environment.

Okay, showing off my nerdliness here, but a million years ago (about the time this shark was at its prime) I was an ichthyology major out on Long Island. I was even the curator of our college ichthyology collection numbering over 1,000 species....and I ain't never seen ANYTHING like this! This is ab-so-friggin-lutely fascinating! The gill structure, the lack of definition of a tail fin, the jaw structure...that thing is barely a step above lamprey. Man, what a snap shot of the past. Amazing those genes still generate offspring - amazing it finds a mate (is it hermaphroditic?). There's a snowball's chance in hell that anyone would be interested, but read "A Fish Caught In Time", a great recounting of the discovery of the coelocanth off the coast of South Africa in the 1950s. Another snap shot of the past. Sort of mentioned in the song "I'm Outlived by THAT Thing?" by the Crash Test Dummies in their 1996 album "A Worm's Life". Listen to it.

Don't worry about "Man" having damaged that little beauty. There's a reason you and I haven't seen its ilk before. Newsflash - "It doesn't want to be seen". It doesn't live in our niche, it was sick as hell, but this one went "up" to us instead of "down" to six-feet-below-whale-turd. And we get to learn a little more about ourselves, believe me ("yes" to the fundamentalists - it's your daddy).

As for destroying everything in our environment....well, you're right. And I'm not one of those pigheaded right-wing boobs that thinks it's okay to do so because I happen to reside at the top of the food web. Questions to ask yourself:

Do I drive an SUV? (sadly, I do. But we have this stuff here in the Mohawk Valley called snow.......)

Have I changed my light bulbs to flourescent? (Not yet, but it's going to happen this weekend. Screw you, National Grid :thumbsup: ).

Remember, it starts with the miserable bastard in the bathroom mirror.....