Another New Tax

The Bush Administration recently decided to RAISE the royalty rate on natural gas and oil from the Gulf of Mexico. The previous rate equated to one of every 8 barrels going to Uncle Sam. The new rate is one of every SIX barrels. When your gas prices continue to go up, I want you to keep blaming the oil companies. You know, instead of government who makes more money per barrel at the state and federal level than the companies who actually bring the product to market.

The net result of this proposal will likely be less exploration and development in the region, meaning countries in the Middle East and Venezuela will continue to smack us around. Whoo hoo.

Also interesting: "But the change will not alter any of the thousands of existing offshore leases, nor will it affect a mistake in hundreds of leases that could allow companies to escape as much as $10 billion in royalties over the next five years."

Looks like we're going to need a couple MORE lawyers to review stuff before it is approved.

The Bush Administration recently decided to RAISE the royalty rate on natural gas and oil from the Gulf of Mexico. The previous rate equated to one of every 8 barrels going to Uncle Sam. The new rate is one of every SIX barrels. When your gas prices continue to go up, I want you to keep blaming the oil companies. You know, instead of government who makes more money per barrel at the state and federal level than the companies who actually bring the product to market.

The net result of this proposal will likely be less exploration and development in the region, meaning countries in the Middle East and Venezuela will continue to smack us around. Whoo hoo.

great just what we need higher prices :w00t:

Looks like we're going to need a couple MORE lawyers to review stuff before it is approved.

Awesome!... I am sure this will help in securing that 10 billion over 5 years that has fallen through the loop hole... :w00t:

Then we can all get back on track and blame the one who is solely responsible for it all...

Gov't=Bad!

:w00t:

• 3 weeks later...
great just what we need higher prices :)

I welcome higher gas prices. When gas was cheap, everyone went out and bought an SUV. Nobody did much of anything to create non-gas alternatives to regular cars. Like it or not, people need the discipline higher gas prices impose.

I welcome higher gas prices. When gas was cheap, everyone went out and bought an SUV. Nobody did much of anything to create non-gas alternatives to regular cars. Like it or not, people need the discipline higher gas prices impose.

:) are ya kidding me? Gas prices have went up roughly 100% in the past 6 years and you are saying that? Seriously, the gas prices have kept me riding my bike across town for small errands during the spring, summer, and fall. People weren't bitchin when the gas prices were $1.20. With inflation, we should only be paying $1.40 or so now, not $2.40. Besides People are still spending the cash on the gas. All this is doing is taking money away from America and into other governments. And FWIW, some of the Republicans just voted against a recent alternative energy bill. I would love to be able to drive more than 3,000 miles/year (yes that is correct, no typo), But I can't afford to w/ gas prices and insurance and maintainance. If gas prices were a buck lower, i'd be more inclined to drive a little more.

:) are ya kidding me? Gas prices have went up roughly 100% in the past 6 years and you are saying that? Seriously, the gas prices have kept me riding my bike across town for small errands during the spring, summer, and fall. People weren't bitchin when the gas prices were $1.20. With inflation, we should only be paying $1.40 or so now, not $2.40. Besides People are still spending the cash on the gas. All this is doing is taking money away from America and into other governments. And FWIW, some of the Republicans just voted against a recent alternative energy bill. I would love to be able to drive more than 3,000 miles/year (yes that is correct, no typo), But I can't afford to w/ gas prices and insurance and maintainance. If gas prices were a buck lower, i'd be more inclined to drive a little more.

Okay, I'm not happy about your driving being that restricted. That's the downside to expensive gas. On the other hand, you riding your bike across town is good exercise and good for the environment. And hey, maybe you're like me in that you feel more alive spending time on a bike than behind the wheel of a car.

Back before Saturn sold SUVs, I heard one of their higher-ups say their sales went up when gas was expensive, and down when it was cheap. He said that the cheaper gas is, the more people tend to choose SUVs or other forms of automotive conspicuous consumption. At some point that has to stop.

I'm not saying I'm thrilled by the veto of that alternative energy bill. But even without government involvement, expensive gas can lead to alternative fuels. If gas was selling at $0.50 a gallon, an electric car would be seen as a rich person's toy. But if gas prices went up to $5.00 a gallon or more, that same electric car would really seem tempting. As more people bought those electric cars, economies of scale would kick in, and their prices could come down. Eventually they could replace gas cars altogether.

Okay, I'm not happy about your driving being that restricted. That's the downside to expensive gas. On the other hand, you riding your bike across town is good exercise and good for the environment. And hey, maybe you're like me in that you feel more alive spending time on a bike than behind the wheel of a car.

Back before Saturn sold SUVs, I heard one of their higher-ups say their sales went up when gas was expensive, and down when it was cheap. He said that the cheaper gas is, the more people tend to choose SUVs or other forms of automotive conspicuous consumption. At some point that has to stop.

First off, I am actually in great shape in general, so the cycling can almost be too much on the body, but in general I love exercising on my bike good 30 miles.

If a Saturn exec said that and it is true, then some people should be pimp slapped around.