Bills Off Season Strategy Pt. 1b

CosmicBills

My main point is look at the talent available and adapt your system - I have an unbeatable def system all I need are a couple of guys who can levitate and a MLB who can become invisible

Easier said than done......& in our case, we had fast DEs, fast LBs, fast CBs, no DTs & old(needed replacing soon) Ss. The cover 2 fit probably more than other forms of D.

I can't see how DJ has tried to get his players playing in manners not suited to them at all.

Is this a N'Gata reference?

He is the only 'target' player that didn't fit our system that was available to us which we ignored.

this a Sam Adams, Ngata, Terdell Sands, Ryan Pickett, Ma'ake Kemoeatu, Grady Jackson reference.

New regime....fair enough an old player who was malcontent like Adams was not re-signed....regardless of system.

Sands was never passed up on(was not a FA).....& how good is he anyway????

We had Pickett in for an interview didn't we......didn't we even make him an offer?

Who the hell was Ma'ake Kemoeatu last FA season anyway......then again, who is he now?

New Regime bring in a 10 year vet that the Packers didn't want?

N'Gata was realistically the only 'sought after' or 'target' player that didn't fit our system that was available to us which we ignored.

• 2 weeks later...
That means that the Bills would be forced to use a high draft pick on a CB who could step in and be a number 2 (eventually a number 1) right away. With the 12th pick in the draft, this is certainly possible – even if it would kill some posters to see the Bills use yet ANOTHER first round pick on a DB.

Why do you say this? Are you ready to state that the pick used on Youboty was squandered? Do you have example on hand of football teams who focused primarily on the secondary and were successful?

Is the secondary more important than the trenches, especially to a football team that plays in the elements?

What's up? :(

Why do you say this? Are you ready to state that the pick used on Youboty was squandered? Do you have example on hand of football teams who focused primarily on the secondary and were successful?

Is the secondary more important than the trenches, especially to a football team that plays in the elements?

What's up? :lol:

:(

Touche.

I am not ready to call the Youboty pick "squandered" because there isn't enough information. If the kid turns out to be the kind of player he was predicted to be heading into the draft, then getting him in the 4th round will be a steal. But it is a bit alarming that he was unable to crack the lineup in the later half of the year. Obviously he suffered a huge set back (and personal loss) in camp, so it will be interesting to see how he rebounds with a full offseason, OTAs and camp. If he can't challenge for the nickle spot (with or without Nate around) this off season, then I would be inclinded to agree with the term "squandered".

And I agree with you about the lines needed work. In both this section and the one dealing with the Offense, the lines are high priorities. However, I wonder if the front office sees it the same way. Marv's comments on his last show were especially interesting to me. When asked about the offensive line by Murph he said (paraphrased) "We need to get better up front." However, when discussing the defensive line he hesitated and said (paraphrased) "We have worked on the D Line and they need to improve and will improve." That says to me the Bills don't have DT as a high priority this off season which is something I noted in this long winded analysis.

Of course, it could also be a smoke screen.

:blink:

Touche.

I am not ready to call the Youboty pick "squandered" because there isn't enough information. If the kid turns out to be the kind of player he was predicted to be heading into the draft, then getting him in the 4th round will be a steal. But it is a bit alarming that he was unable to crack the lineup in the later half of the year. Obviously he suffered a huge set back (and personal loss) in camp, so it will be interesting to see how he rebounds with a full offseason, OTAs and camp. If he can't challenge for the nickle spot (with or without Nate around) this off season, then I would be inclinded to agree with the term "squandered".

And I agree with you about the lines needed work. In both this section and the one dealing with the Offense, the lines are high priorities. However, I wonder if the front office sees it the same way. Marv's comments on his last show were especially interesting to me. When asked about the offensive line by Murph he said (paraphrased) "We need to get better up front." However, when discussing the defensive line he hesitated and said (paraphrased) "We have worked on the D Line and they need to improve and will improve." That says to me the Bills don't have DT as a high priority this off season which is something I noted in this long winded analysis.

Of course, it could also be a smoke screen.

A lot of times DTs don't produce much in their rookie years, only to have success later on. Maybe Marv thinks the main improvement to the DL needs to come from McCargo (and even Kyle Williams) getting better. It'd be nice for the Bills to use an early pick to replace Tim Anderson, but it's possible those early picks will be allocated to positions like MLB, DB, WR or TE, RB, etc.

A lot of times DTs don't produce much in their rookie years, only to have success later on. Maybe Marv thinks the main improvement to the DL needs to come from McCargo (and even Kyle Williams) getting better. It'd be nice for the Bills to use an early pick to replace Tim Anderson, but it's possible those early picks will be allocated to positions like MLB, DB, WR or TE, RB, etc.

Very good points. I tend to agree with your assesment here.