Billy Joe Grossman

The Bears lost their chance to win the SB when Tommie Harris went down. The dropoff in the defense was startling after he was lost. So given that, I'd say that they have to stick with Grossman, because Griese is a known commodity. Maybe if the defense were as good as it was in the beginning of the year you might give Griese a chance, but not now.

The Bears lost their chance to win the SB when Tommie Harris went down. The dropoff in the defense was startling after he was lost. So given that, I'd say that they have to stick with Grossman, because Griese is a known commodity. Maybe if the defense were as good as it was in the beginning of the year you might give Griese a chance, but not now.

I think the drop off in the defense happend when their safety Mike Brown went down for the season. Mike Brown is the heart and soul and the leader of that defense , even ahead of Brian Urlacher.

I think it's clear that this can't be allowed to stand. That said, Grossman may yet be a better option than returning to Brian Griese, and yanking your starter for the playoffs seems like bad form. So I think they'd be best off making a loud but symbolic statement: Brian Griese takes the first snap next week. Handoff to Benson, whatever - just a simple play before Grossman goes back in. And a short leash the rest of the day.

Just a side note - has a QB ever been benched in the middle of a playoff game and had his backup come back to win?

Not sure about the NFL, but it's happened more than once up North. Ricky Ray was benched for Jason Maas in both of Edmonton's divisional playoff games last season before starting (and winning) the Grey Cup game. And a few years before that, Doug Flutie, returning from midseason elbow surgery, was booed off the field in favor of backup (and North Division All-Star QB) Jeff Garcia during a Calgary playoff game in 1995...

If i were lovie Smith right now i would anounce that griese is my quaterback. Grossman cant say these kinds of things to the media esspecially when everyone wants him benched anyway. Hes only adding fuel to the fire, 20 ints on the year and its a meaningless game... ok fine but now yove admitted that it doesnt mean anything then you dont care. How does you team look at you know how can your coach trust you to be ready to play everyday, what if hes the back up all of sudden, will he not prepare bc he wont play most likely?

Bench him and make sure he understands the importance of preparing for every game reguardless of what it may or may not mean