Fins should've let Jets score with 1:54 left

The Jets had the ball inside the 20 with 1:54 left, and Miami had only 1 timeout. They should've let the Jets run it in, and they would've had the ball with about 1:40 left after the kickoff, and time to go downfield and try to tie it up. As it played out, the Fins used their last timeout, and the Jets ran it down as far as they could, to 16 seconds, and kicked the game winning field goal. This gave the Fins 10 seconds to return the kick and march down to try a field goal.

This strategy of allowing the opposition to score is rarely used. I think the Packers used it in the Super Bowl. I remember one year we lost to the Falcons, on Thanksgiving weekend, when they kicked a field goal as time expired. They had the ball inside our 10 with about 2 minutes left, and I was screaming, let them score!!

It's just a strategy. Leave yourself time to do something.

I think Belichick did that once and it worked out, and of course he was praised for it.

I agree, sometimes there are strategies that seem to make all the sense in the world, but coaches at this level are just too afraid to take the chance. A lot of fourth-down situations are like that; sometimes it just makes more sense to go for it rather than punt, but you'll hardly ever see it unless it's maybe 4th and one.

A lot of fourth-down situations are like that; sometimes it just makes more sense to go for it rather than punt, but you'll hardly ever see it unless it's maybe 4th and one.

878366[/snapback]

The Colts should never punt on 4th and 6 or less.