Anyone hear

WWVaBeach

Thanks but not Thanks.... no other QB could have been better than Jim Kelly for those Bills teams.

And if I had to make a choice Marino would not even be on the radar... he was a perfect in his role as a QB of a soft team that choked in big games.

I've heard Marino asked about that before, and he's always said that he'd take four shots over one shot any day of the week, even if it meant losing all four.

Thanks but not Thanks.... no other QB could have been better than Jim Kelly for those Bills teams.

And if I had to make a choice Marino would not even be on the radar... he was a perfect in his role as a QB of a soft team that choked in big games.

875569[/snapback]

John Elway or Steve Young would have been good fits, too. Marino, no thanks...

I've heard Marino asked about that before, and he's always said that he'd take four shots over one shot any day of the week, even if it meant losing all four.

875611[/snapback]

The question is whether he would choose to have Brad Johnson's (or Trent Dilfer's) career who after a long career has become a slightly above average QB who won the big one with a good team where he was a role player or Jim Kelly who is an HOF quality QB and one of several acknowledged leaders on a team which lost four.

The question is whether he would choose to have Brad Johnson's (or Trent Dilfer's) career who after a long career has become a slightly above average QB who won the big one with a good team where he was a role player or Jim Kelly who is an HOF quality QB and one of several acknowledged leaders on a team which lost four.

The choice is obvious: you'd rather be a great player who wins a SB, but would rather be a HOF'er who has a chance and loses than an average Joe who wins one. Team wins are just that; team wins. The HOF is forever.

And I also heard that Collinsworth said that there is a higher standard for QB play in Buffalo...because of the weather. Marino would never had thrown as much as he did in Buffalo. Now I'm not saying he couldn't throw in cold/windy weather, seeing as how he's a Pennsylvania boy, but the nice weather conditions certainly helped him out a lot.

And I think that IF he had had a great RB and a strong coach, he could have learned to hand-off. The problem is he never got the chance and never had a great defense.

i watched it and had a completely different take on marino's comments.i thought he was almost dissing kelly in a sense.he came off like "well if i had played up in buffalo with 4 chances at the superbowl........................he didn't come right out and say it but by his demeaner and tone of his voice and that idiotic smirk he had when he said it.i thought he meant had he played on those bills teams he would have had the ring kelly didn't get...just my take on it.it was set up by chris collinsworth saying he thought jp was doing good and that you have to be a higher level qb to play in the cold and swirling winds of buffalo.marino looked totally arogant in his response.go bills

Or look at it this way... if Jim Kelly played 10 years in Miami in a warm weather pass happy offense he would have posted better numbers than Marino did.

Maybe I'm a fan to a fault.. but I would take Kelly over any other QB in the modern day NFL. He was a perfect fit for the city of Buffalo, and the team chemistry of the Bills in the 90's.

In my opinion JPs talents and personality are also an ideal fit. He has a chip on his shoulder b/c he was picked behind so many other 'blue-chip" QBs of his draft class. Not from a top tier program, raised in a blue collar family, moves into downtown Buffalo and stays all winter, gunslinger arm with a cocky attitude... sound familiar?

The choice is obvious: you'd rather be a great player who wins a SB, but would rather be a HOF'er who has a chance and loses than an average Joe who wins one.  Team wins are just that; team wins.  The HOF is forever.

And I also heard that Collinsworth said that there is a higher standard for QB play in Buffalo...because of the weather.  Marino would never had thrown as much as he did in Buffalo.  Now I'm not saying he couldn't throw in cold/windy weather, seeing as how he's a Pennsylvania boy, but the nice weather conditions certainly helped him out a lot.

And I think that IF he had had a great RB and a strong coach, he could have learned to hand-off.  The problem is he never got the chance and never had a great defense.

875620[/snapback]

Southern PA boy. The weather changes dramatically once you get south of I-80. (But then again, so was Kelly... he learned, so I suppose Dannyboy could have as well...)

And if Buffalo had drafted Marino, I probably wouldn't be a Bills fan. <Bleep> Pitt.