Anybody catch PTI tonight??

USMCBillsFan

Normally, I'd completely agree with you.  Race is played brought up way too much in sports and usually for the wrong reasons.  However, in this case, I think Wilbon is right.  There was EXTREME outrage about the Carmelo incident not one week ago.  Yet what happened last night was much worse, there was a more lenient penalty and a nowhere near the outrage displayed by the media and public (at least from what I've observed).

I'm tired of the trite argument that these kinds of things are more okay because fighting is part of hockey.  That holds no bearing on the fact that what happened last night was NOT a fight.  It was a cowardly cheap shot to man who was not looking.  THAT was the definition of a sucker punch, yet I heard "sucker punch" about 600 times when describing Melo's girl slap to a man who was looking him in the eyes.

How many cheap shots in the NBA have caused permanent injury in this decade? How many assault charges have been filed against cheap shot artists in the NBA as a result of "thug/punk" moves in the same time? Less than the NHL, my friend.

Race will be continued to be played as a defense to this overwhelming sense of hypocrisy as long as the double standard is perpetuated.  The day I see 45 ESPN articles about Scott Nichols and his punch is the day I will be right there with you to call bullsht on race being brought into the discussion.

*And I didn't mean to turn this into a rant against you, USMC.  Just a general rant... :P

875358[/snapback]

The Nichols punch wasn't made to be as big a deal because:

1. The NBA is a much more popular/nationalized league than the NHL, so you can expect ESPN and their ilk to highlight pro basketball's problems with a much larger magnifying glass. BTW, when was the last time Wilbon or Cornholer analyzed a big hockey match? (Crickets chirping). So I guess they only talk about hockey when it serves to make their favored sports not look as bad? :w00t:

2. Hockey is by nature a very physical, very high-speed sport that more easily enables dangerous hits and cheap shots to "accidentally" occur. That is why enforcers are needed to keep everyone on the ice in line...thus, fighting has become a necessary part of the game that - oddly enough - actually makes the game safer for the players. The Nichols cheap shot was just that: a cheap shot. Nevertheless, the fact that fighting and violence is a part of hockey makes Nichols' actions less conspicuous. Basketball, on the other hand, is a no-contact sport. So ANY contact on the court becomes MORE conspicuous.

Just my opinion...

EDIT: Yeah, pretty much what AD said below.

Normally, I'd completely agree with you.  Race is played brought up way too much in sports and usually for the wrong reasons.  However, in this case, I think Wilbon is right.  There was EXTREME outrage about the Carmelo incident not one week ago.  Yet what happened last night was much worse, there was a more lenient penalty and a nowhere near the outrage displayed by the media and public (at least from what I've observed).

Perhaps that's because of the sheer number of young kids who emulate NBA players - mostly off the court. We don't generally see the same things from the small percentage of kids who play hockey.

I'm tired of the trite argument that these kinds of things are more okay because fighting is part of hockey.  That holds no bearing on the fact that what happened last night was NOT a fight.  It was a cowardly cheap shot to man who was not looking.  THAT was the definition of a sucker punch, yet I heard "sucker punch" about 600 times when describing Melo's girl slap to a man who was looking him in the eyes.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Virtually everyone has posted that Nichol should receive a nice long suspension and that 9 games is far too little. When someone asks "15 games?", it's probably because the NHL is known for being far too lenient, especially when there's a name player involved.

Personally, I don't see the big deal with what Anthony did. In fact, I think it's great because one of the best players looked like a complete pansy when he tried to fight someone.

How many cheap shots in the NBA have caused permanent injury in this decade? How many assault charges have been filed against cheap shot artists in the NBA as a result of "thug/punk" moves in the same time? Less than the NHL, my friend.

There have probably been more Portland Trailblazers arrested in the last 5 years than in the entire history of the NHL. Let me know when they start playing basketball at thirty miles an hour on ice. As far as the Bertuzzi/Moore thing, that is absolutely the exception to the rule and you know it.

Race will be continued to be played as a defense to this overwhelming sense of hypocrisy as long as the double standard is perpetuated.  The day I see 45 ESPN articles about Scott Nichols and his punch is the day I will be right there with you to call bullsht on race being brought into the discussion.

You won't see much of anything on ESPN because ESPN barely acknowledges that hockey even exists or that any of their viewers even care about it. It has nothing to do with race and everything to do with money and ESPN's audience. There were tons of stories all over ESPN about Bertuzzi/Moore, including many of the talking heads who wished the game would simply go away, because they'd never watched it anyway. I'm actually kind of surprised they aren't ripping the NHL because since the lost the deal, they've rarely missed a chance to throw the league under the bus.

Virtually none of my hockey buddies ever watch ESPN if there isn't a football game being broadcast. Think about it.

I think the most disgusting behavior throughout the whole thing came from the Nashville Predator announcers which we got on Center Ice.

They were essentially saying that it was Spacek's fault because he didn't see it coming. Yeah, okay. :w00t:

I think the most disgusting behavior throughout the whole thing came from the Nashville Predator announcers which we got on Center Ice.

They were essentially saying that it was Spacek's fault because he didn't see it coming.  Yeah, okay. :w00t:

875403[/snapback]

My own broadcast partner did the same thing when we were going through a far worse game. The other team was running around all over the ice cheapshotting our players and there were tons of fights and hits that were attempts to injure.

Finally our coach loses it and sends one of our goons out with instructions to "run one of their guys". He picks his target, skates about sixty feet full bore, leaves his feet, and drives the point of his elbow into the guy's face. Blood and chicklets everywhere and the guy is literally making snow angels while quivering. One of the worst things I've ever seen in sports.

My broadcast partner, who is one of the most level-headed guys you'd ever want to meet starts talking about "turnabout being fair play" and stuff like that. I'm flabberghasted because this guy on the ice could literally be fighting for his life. We had a pretty spirited argument about it right on the air - and I'm big on hockey teams sticking up for themselves (but only if they do it the right way).

Sometimes emotion just gets the best of people - especially when they don't have time to think about it. Let's face it, Terry Crisp would need about a week.

You broadcasted games? I didn't know that, crazy story.

I think one of the benefits of the NFL broadcasts is that, while the commentators tend to be idiots, they don't really follow the teams that cover that closely since they switch it around.

Perhaps that's because of the sheer number of young kids who emulate NBA players - mostly off the court.  We don't generally see the same things from the small percentage of kids who play hockey.

875398[/snapback]

Fair enough...I guess the fact that the NBA is far more visible to the general public than the NHL causes it's players' actions to be scrutinized to a higher degree.

I'm not sure what you're talking about.  Virtually everyone has posted that Nichol should receive a nice long suspension and that 9 games is far too little.  When someone asks "15 games?", it's probably because the NHL is known for being far too lenient, especially when there's a name player involved.

Personally, I don't see the big deal with what Anthony did.  In fact, I think it's great because one of the best players looked like a complete pansy when he tried to fight someone.

875398[/snapback]

I agree that many people around here wanted Nichols to get more than he did...myself included. I guess this goes back to your previous point about visibility. Those who watch hockey reacted as I hoped they would, but I didn't sense anywhere near the outrage from the average sports fan as I did from the Carmelo incident.

I agree that I like what Melo did (right before he took off running like a btch). The NBA is a very physical game and yet it is treated like the players should never touch each other. No problem at all with a little pushing and jawing when a ridiculous foul occurs.

There have probably been more Portland Trailblazers arrested in the last 5 years than in the entire history of the NHL.  Let me know when they start playing basketball at thirty miles an hour on ice.  As far as the Bertuzzi/Moore thing, that is absolutely the exception to the rule and you know it. 

875398[/snapback]

Actually, I was also referring to Marty McSorley when he cracked Brashear in the head with his stick. I understand that these are exceptions, but so was the Ron Artest incident. Yet every time a fight breaks out in the NBA, the Palace brawl is dredged up although it has no specific relevance to the incident at hand.

Plus, a bunch of trailblazers getting busted for pot doesn't concern me all that much. At least Bonzi Wells never attempted a muder-for-hire... :lol:

You won't see much of anything on ESPN because ESPN barely acknowledges that hockey even exists or that any of their viewers even care about it.  It has nothing to do with race and everything to do with money and ESPN's audience.  There were tons of stories all over ESPN about Bertuzzi/Moore, including many of the talking heads who wished the game would simply go away, because they'd never watched it anyway.  I'm actually kind of surprised they aren't ripping the NHL because since the lost the deal, they've rarely missed a chance to throw the league under the bus.

875398[/snapback]

Again, fair enough. I believe race is a part of it, but I think this is a very good point you make and something that I didn't give enough credence to.