Anybody catch PTI tonight??

USMCBillsFan

I saw it.

Wilbon was balking at the idea that big white thug hockey players are not given the "punk criminal" tag that big black thug basketball players are given when they brawl.

He was upset that there is no media outrage over white athletes being thugs like black athletes ala Ron Artest. He mentioned he tuned into ESPN Sportscenter to see what level of "outrage" the likes of Barry Melrose would have.

I saw it.

Wilbon was balking at the idea that big white thug hockey players are not given the "punk criminal" tag that big black thug basketball players are given when they brawl.

875291[/snapback]

Yes, well, last i checked Maxim Afiniganov nor Daniel Briere have rap albums that sold 34 copies, thus they cannot be thugs.

I saw it.

He was upset that there is no media outrage over white athletes  being thugs like black athletes ala Ron Artest.  He mentioned he tuned into ESPN Sportscenter to see what level of "outrage" the likes of Barry Melrose would have.

875291[/snapback]

I saw the hit being chastised on ESPN earlier by Melrose. Why the hell does race always have to get brought into it? Such bullstojan..

I saw it.

He was upset that there is no media outrage over white athletes  being thugs like black athletes ala Ron Artest.  He mentioned he tuned into ESPN Sportscenter to see what level of "outrage" the likes of Barry Melrose would have.

875291[/snapback]

What are we talking about here? Was there a cheap shot taken in a game recently? I havn't heard anything, so a link would be nice.

That said, I call BS on the "white athletes aren't treated as thugs" comment. Todd Bertuzzi, anyone? Lots of people were calling for him to be banned from the league! As it was, he missed the rest of the season plus the entire playoffs in one of the longest suspensions in league history. But yeah, white athletes aren't thought of as thugs. :w00t:

What are we talking about here?  Was there a cheap shot taken in a game recently?  I havn't heard anything, so a link would be nice.

875316[/snapback]

Are you serious? You didn't see the shot Spacek took in the game last night? Total sucker punch from behind after he ran a player, I think his name was Curtis or something like that, into the post. He got up, dropped his gloves and sucker punched spacek from behind...

Are you serious? You didn't see the shot Spacek took in the game last night? Total sucker punch from behind after he ran a player, I think his name was Curtis or something like that, into the post. He got up, dropped his gloves and sucker punched spacek from behind...

875317[/snapback]

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2706554

15 game suspension?

875340[/snapback]

What, no outrage that he should be banned for the season? :P

Or is that just reserved for punk NBA players?

He (Carmelo) should be suspended without pay for the rest of the season.  What a uncalled for sucker punch. And just when thing were calming down.  He threw that punch on purpose.  He's a disgrace to the NBA. :w00t:

868686[/snapback]

What are we talking about here?  Was there a cheap shot taken in a game recently?  I havn't heard anything, so a link would be nice.

That said, I call BS on the "white athletes aren't treated as thugs" comment.  Todd Bertuzzi, anyone?  Lots of people were calling for him to be banned from the league!  As it was, he missed the rest of the season plus the entire playoffs in one of the longest suspensions in league history.  But yeah, white athletes aren't thought of as thugs.  :w00t:

875316[/snapback]

about halfway down the page....

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=57278

I saw the hit being chastised on ESPN earlier by Melrose. Why the hell does race always have to get brought into it? Such bullstojan..

875298[/snapback]

Normally, I'd completely agree with you. Race is played brought up way too much in sports and usually for the wrong reasons. However, in this case, I think Wilbon is right. There was EXTREME outrage about the Carmelo incident not one week ago. Yet what happened last night was much worse, there was a more lenient penalty and a nowhere near the outrage displayed by the media and public (at least from what I've observed).

I'm tired of the trite argument that these kinds of things are more okay because fighting is part of hockey. That holds no bearing on the fact that what happened last night was NOT a fight. It was a cowardly cheap shot to man who was not looking. THAT was the definition of a sucker punch, yet I heard "sucker punch" about 600 times when describing Melo's girl slap to a man who was looking him in the eyes.

How many cheap shots in the NBA have caused permanent injury in this decade? How many assault charges have been filed against cheap shot artists in the NBA as a result of "thug/punk" moves in the same time? Less than the NHL, my friend.

Race will be continued to be played as a defense to this overwhelming sense of hypocrisy as long as the double standard is perpetuated. The day I see 45 ESPN articles about Scott Nichols and his punch is the day I will be right there with you to call bullsht on race being brought into the discussion.

*And I didn't mean to turn this into a rant against you, USMC. Just a general rant... :w00t: