17 year old sentenced to 10 years in prison for...

Tux of Borg

And I absolutely agree. While the jury might have been following the letter of the law - i.e., there can BE no consensual sex with someone under 16 - the law itself is BS if you're talking about two high-school kids. Holy crap - when I was fifteen, three of my classmates had already had children.

875258[/snapback]

Well the law is obviously there to help prevent those sorts of things from happening, Lori. :w00t:

I still remember this case and it pisses me off as well.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,190586,00.html

The 28-year-old Fitzroy Barnaby jumped out his car, grabbed her arm and lectured her on how not to get killed. Nothing more occurred. Nevertheless, that one action made him guilty of "the unlawful restraint of a minor," which is a sexual offense in Illinois. Both the jury and judge believed him. Nevertheless, Barnaby went through years of legal proceedings that ended with his name on a sex offender registry, where his photograph and address are publicly available. He must report to authorities. His employment options are severely limited; he cannot live near schools or parks.

Arguably, the law would have punished Barnaby less had he hit the girl or not cared enough to lecture her. Perhaps that's the equation that ran through Peachey's mind.

I bet Stojan thinks that this kid really does deserve to be a registered sex offender though. Here's the proof:

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=26034

CW

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the law is obviously there to help prevent those sorts of things from happening, Lori. :P

I still remember this case and it pisses me off as well.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,190586,00.html

I bet Stojan thinks that this kid really does deserve to be a registered sex offender though.  Here's the proof:

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=26034

CW

875283[/snapback]

Wow. I just read that whole thread. (boring duty night) Stojan is an idiot. I'll say this, if he brought a bat at me, he damn sure better make sure he takes me out on the first shot. Otherwise he'd be through. That was the most ridiculous thread I've read in a long time. Definitely the "new BF". Damn.... :w00t:

My guess is if they could catch everyone, there would be alot of 17 year old boys in prison in Ga. The thing that sickens me is that we live in a society that pushes sex 24-7, but when someone buys in, they ruin the guy's life.

There certainly needs to be major reformation of the statutes for registration of sexual offenders. This poor kid will be lumped in with all sorts of heinous criminals, and will be viewed as such without any benefit of doubt.

It may be the Bible Belt, and I may be a Christian, but the people who wrote this law are sick sorry SOBs.

875246[/snapback]

In my opinion, a large portion of the 'Christian morality' down here is nothing but hypocrisy. I don't live in the more rural areas where the 'good ol' boy' system of justice is in effect, but I sure see enough of the hypocrisy down here to get a sick stomach over it.

In my opinion, a large portion of the 'Christian morality' down here is nothing but hypocrisy. I don't live in the more rural areas where the 'good ol' boy' system of justice is in effect, but I sure see enough of the hypocrisy down here to get a sick stomach over it.

875400[/snapback]

When I went to Atlanta on a business trip (Norcrosse), there was a huge sex toy shop right by a strip mall (not that kind of strip mall... :w00t: ). Kinda shocking, IMHO.

CW

There's a mention of "the two black females" about halfway through the story I linked, where the prosecutor is trying to defend his actions.

And I absolutely agree. While the jury might have been following the letter of the law - i.e., there can BE no consensual sex with someone under 16 - the law itself is BS if you're talking about two high-school kids. Holy crap - when I was fifteen, three of my classmates had already had children.

875258[/snapback]

Usually, the letter of the law recognizes sex as consensual if the parties are within two years of age. In most states, a 17-year old wouldn't be convicted for having sex with a 15-year old (or an 18-year old with a 16-year old, for that matter), for precisely the reason you say: most states realize it's BS when you're talking about high-school kids.

Apparently, Georgia's different. :w00t:

I don't have a link, but I heard the boy is black and the girl is white.

Not everyone down there is, but this smacks of racist overtones.  And the people who prosecuted this are  :w00t: .

Makes me madder than hell.  Nothing makes me more upset than racism.  This is almost 2007, you  :P  idiots.

Edit:  I found the linky.  An ABC News story can be found here.

I sure as hell don't want to live in Georgia.  Until 1998, oral sex between a husband and wife was punishable by up to 20 years in prison.

It may be the Bible Belt, and I may be a Christian, but the people who wrote this law are sick sorry SOBs.

875246[/snapback]

Completely agreed.

Also this is the exactly why the judge should be ordered to inform the jury of the prison sentence before deliberation.

No Romeo and Juliet laws for this sort of scenario ? Most states have them.

875626[/snapback]

Supposedly, Georgia has since changed the law in question. Unfortunately for this kid, they didn't make said change retroactive.

Supposedly, Georgia has since changed the law in question. Unfortunately for this kid, they didn't make said change retroactive.

875638[/snapback]

Wow that has to really suck, cuz that he means the kid is sitting in jail for something that is no longer a crime. :lol:

875638[/snapback]

Though a pardon should.

And even then...I wouldn't be surprised if the law said that he had to register as a sex offender regardless of pardon.

...having oral sex with his 15 year old girlfriend.

Ga. Supreme Court rejects teen’s appeal in sex case

12/16/2006

ATLANTA (AP) — The Georgia Supreme Court has turned down an appeal from a teen who was sentenced to 10 years in prison for having sex with a 15-year-old.

In a ruling released Friday, the court denied a motion for reconsideration filed by lawyers for Genarlow Wilson, who was 17 when he and the 15-year-old engaged in consensual oral sex. He was sentenced for aggravated child molestation.

Wilson’s case was one of two cases that were cited earlier this year when lawmakers passed a law that otherwise strengthened penalties for sex offenders, but reduced the penalty from a felony to a misdemeanor for some teenagers convicted of sodomy.

Presiding Justice Carol Hunstein noted that in easing the penalties for teens, ‘‘the Legislature expressly chose not to allow the provisions of the new amendments to affect persons convicted under the previous version of the statute.’’

Hunstein added she was ‘‘very sympathetic to Wilson’s argument regarding the injustice of sentencing this promising young man with good grades and no criminal history to 10 years in prison without parole and a lifetime registration as a sexual offender because he engaged in consensual oral sex with a 15-year-old victim only two years his junior,’’ but said the court was bound the by limits set by the Legislature.

874709[/snapback]

UNBELIEVABLE!!!----I think lot of us may be thinking about OUR past actions---and getting chills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!yikes....poor guy

875400[/snapback]

It's one of the many reasons why I am so glad I don't live in the South anymore. Had enough of that crap growing up.

It's one of the many reasons why I am so glad I don't live in the South anymore.  Had enough of that crap growing up.

875748[/snapback]

No joke....I hate it down here. If not for family reasons, I'd be back in Philly faster than you can say "NHL Champion Philadelphia Flyers" :lol:

I'd be back in Philly faster than you can say "NHL Champion Philadelphia Flyers"  :lol:

875966[/snapback]

Last time I checked, that wasn't happening anytime soon. :sick:

But, the responses to this thread are terrific. Those of you who live in Georgia need to make your voices heard, and make damn sure you throw the politicians who passed this law (as well as the prosecutor) out of office the next time they're up for reelection.