Vince Young who?

Mikie2times

For what it's worth, the Titans run D has been much better recently than they were early on, so that skews the stats. For the season they have allowed 4.5 ypc, but just 3.9 over the last 6 weeks. Also 145 yards per game for the year vs 121 ypg in the last 6. Not great, but much better.

I'd say the Titans' run D is about average in the league right now.

874592[/snapback]

Well, if we are looking at trends.....

Travis Henry....1st 7 starts this season....averaged

101 ypg....and.....4.7ypc

Travis Henry....next 4 starts this season(last 4 games)....averaged

61.3 ypg....and.....3.8ypc

I'd say TH is a tad below average in the league right now.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it's worth, the Titans run D has been much better recently than they were early on, so that skews the stats. For the season they have allowed 4.5 ypc, but just 3.9 over the last 6 weeks. Also 145 yards per game for the year vs 121 ypg in the last 6. Not great, but much better.

I'd say the Titans' run D is about average in the league right now.

874592[/snapback]

True, they're not giving up 200 yards/game any more... but then again, JAX wasn't that far off last week. I'd go along with "better", but probably stop before I got to "average".

Of course, we've seen our share of bad run D as well -- JAX did hit 200 up here...

I thought/wish for the same thing. To me this will be a big sign of the type of player Willis is. You know for a fact Travis will be on a mission. As a competitor Willis should be out to show why Buffalo kept him. If Henry goes off we need to counter with a strong rushing attack.

874515[/snapback]

Maybe we should put Willis in on defense to play the run.

874606[/snapback]

Uh, 2 of those games he ran for nearly 100 yards and the third they trailed 21-0 at halftime. THEY WON EVERY GAME.

Henry has been terrific for them this season.

Uh, 2 of those games he ran for nearly 100 yards and the third they trailed 21-0 at halftime.  THEY WON EVERY GAME.

Henry has been terrific for them this season.

874635[/snapback]

My point was to show that simply grabbing basic statistics without analysing them properly can sometimes show misleading situations. It was in response to Starkiller who grabbed basic statistics, didn't analyse them properly & tried to show something that I believed was misleading.

I suppose I shouldn't be so subtle next time. :lol:

:lol:

874606[/snapback]

No argument here. Henry is very up and down. If you look at the last 6 weeks, the Giants and Jags shut him down pretty much while he did well versus Baltimore, Philly, Indy, and Houston.

No doubt he'll be pumped about playing against the Bills and your run D has struggled, so I doubt he'll get shut down entirely. We'll just have to see if he goes off or not.

True, they're not giving up 200 yards/game any more... but then again, JAX wasn't that far off last week. I'd go along with "better", but probably stop before I got to "average".

Of course, we've seen our share of bad run D as well -- JAX did hit 200 up here...

874629[/snapback]

Well, the Jags did have 40 carries last week. But there's no doubt the Titans can be burned. McGahee is a big threat to us.

My point was to show that simply grabbing basic statistics without analysing them properly can sometimes show misleading situations.  It was in response to Starkiller who grabbed basic statistics, didn't analyse them properly & tried to show something that I believed was misleading.

874646[/snapback]

What did I analyze incorrectly? What is misleading about how the Titans' run D has improved significantly over the last few weeks?

Fact is, I'm right. They are a middle-of-the-pack run D rather than a bad one as the full-season stats make them appear.

My point was to show that simply grabbing basic statistics without analysing them properly can sometimes show misleading situations.  It was in response to Starkiller who grabbed basic statistics, didn't analyse them properly & tried to show something that I believed was misleading.

I suppose I shouldn't be so subtle next time.  :lol:

:(

874646[/snapback]

My bad. :lol:

I guess I really don't consider Travis a "key to the game" since it's pretty much a given at this point that we can't stop any running game that doesn't totally suck.

The offense just needs to protect the ball and have Evans make a play or two; and that's basically enough to beat the mediocre teams in this league who don't get points from their passing game.

What did I analyze incorrectly? What is misleading about how the Titans' run D has improved significantly over the last few weeks?

Fact is, I'm right. They are a middle-of-the-pack run D rather than a bad one as the full-season stats make them appear.

874664[/snapback]

What is potentially misleading is......

Basically to just grab some stats & achieve a conclusion from them without adding in other elements can be very, very misleading.

How effective were each opponent going in their rushing ability when they played against you?.....not just how good over the season, other factors such as injury to OL & RB, QB....etc, etc.

One factor that I know would(should) be accounted for was the fact that you have won your last 5 games & the loss to the Ravens, you were ahead for most of the game. This would certainly mean that opposing teams would be passing more(last Q) to catch up....therefore rushing less.....therefore your rush D numbers should be lower.

If we look at things simplistically further......

the last 2 games TEN has given up on average.....

155 ypg & 4.4ypc

...which is pretty much worse than your season average....so therefore you are getting worse at stopping the run. :lol:

Basically what I meant was it is too easy to show what you want with stats.....that is why when you do, you should cover all bases.....or prats like me will pick the stats apart. :lol:

What is potentially misleading is......

Basically to just grab some stats & achieve a conclusion from them without adding in other elements can be very, very misleading.

How effective were each opponent going in their rushing ability when they played against you?.....not just how good over the season, other factors such as injury to OL & RB, QB....etc, etc.

One factor that I know would(should) be accounted for was the fact that you have won your last 5 games & the loss to the Ravens, you were ahead for most of the game.  This would certainly mean that opposing teams would be passing more(last Q) to catch up....therefore rushing less.....therefore your rush D numbers should be lower.

If we look at things simplistically further......

the last 2 games TEN has given up on average.....

155 ypg & 4.4ypc

...which is pretty much worse than your season average....so therefore you are getting worse at stopping the run. :lol:

Basically what I meant was it is too easy to show what you want with stats.....that is why when you do, you should cover all bases.....or prats like me will pick the stats apart. :lol:

874699[/snapback]

You should follow your own advice and not use misleading stats. Don't waste anyone's time trying to argue that 2 games is a significant sample size. I used 6 weeks, which is easily significant enough to show real stats.

In terms of the opponents in that span, the Titans played the Jags (currently ranked #2 run O), Giants (#9), Eagles (#11), Colts (#17), Ravens (#23), and Texans (#24). That's a pretty respectable lust of opponents, and in fact each of them is ranked higher than Buffalo's run game for the year.

As far as situational stats, I made sure to point out not just total yards but ypc, which at 3.9 ypc over 6 weeks would have the Titans run D ranked ahead of roughly 2 thirds of the league based on full season averages. And seeing as how the Titans weren't playing with big leads much in that span, you can forget the possibility that they forced teams to throw the ball. The Ravens were down by just 9 points at the half in that game. The Eagles ran the ball 30 times even though they were down big late (they threw a lot of passes, too). And the last 4 games the Titans never had a big lead other than the 4th quarter of the Jags game (and they ran the ball 40 times).

I know that stats can lie. But believe me, in this case, the ones I presented tell the truth. The ones for the full season are the ones that lie, at least if you want to know how good they are right now.

You should follow your own advice and not use misleading stats. Don't waste anyone's time trying to argue that 2 games is a significant sample size. I used 6 weeks, which is easily significant enough to show real stats.

In terms of the opponents in that span, the Titans played the Jags (currently ranked #2 run O), Giants (#9), Eagles (#11), Colts (#17), Ravens (#23), and Texans (#24). That's a pretty respectable lust of opponents, and in fact each of them is ranked higher than Buffalo's run game for the year.

As far as situational stats, I made sure to point out not just total yards but ypc, which at 3.9 ypc over 6 weeks would have the Titans run D ranked ahead of roughly 2 thirds of the league based on full season averages. And seeing as how the Titans weren't playing with big leads much in that span, you can forget the possibility that they forced teams to throw the ball. The Ravens were down by just 9 points at the half in that game. The Eagles ran the ball 30 times even though they were down big late (they threw a lot of passes, too). And the last 4 games the Titans never had a big lead other than the 4th quarter of the Jags game (and they ran the ball 40 times).

I know that stats can lie. But believe me, in this case, the ones I presented tell the truth. The ones for the full season are the ones that lie, at least if you want to know how good they are right now.

874717[/snapback]

See, that is what I'm talking about. Much harder to argue against all of that. I never actually thought you were wrong(nor right).....just that using simple statistics does not provide a believable argument. I actually looked up a bunch of the stats(relating) & thought you are probably correct.....though last week certainly put a dint in the apparent improvements. Obviously I'm hoping we can worsen your averages back to where they were. :lol:

*I only used the 2 game example to show how simplicity is not the way to go when you want to get across a point using statistics as your main argument.*

Unless the Bills offense explodes against the Titans blah defense, I will be pretty afraid of Vince Young on Sunday...a close game, against a so-so defense is exactly the kind of game that Vince has done well in. The Bills defense has played a bit better the past few weeks (see how much better a defense looks when the offense does something), but they still aren't great against the run.

I keep envisioning that game between the RJ-led Bills and the Flutie-led Chargers a few years back...basically the Bills outplayed the Chargers by a mile that day in San Diego, but couldn't score often enough...in the end, Flutie beat them with one big play, becuase they managed to keep the game close.

Unless the weather is a hindering factor, I would like to see the Bills let it rip, in the air, this week against the Titans. VY may still have his deficencies as a QB, but he does have an ungodly amount of composure. I think the Bills can, and should, try to bury the Titans.

I think we should address the fact that Travis or Young, the first thing that has to work is stopping the run. Part of this is that Young hasn't established that he is all that great a passer, and I have a tremendous amount of faith in our defensive backs, particularly Nate, Whitner and McGee. I think four linebackers with a floater (wire?) on Young like many teams used to put on Flutie. Hold Young from running, contain Travis, and Tennessee is at best a pedestrian team. Willis having a big game is important as well as it will keep Tennessee off the field. Bills win 17-10.

Check all the statistics you want, starkiller, we're gonna open up one of our larger cans of whoopass and beat your Titans like a red-headed stepchild.

874717[/snapback]

WHat the jacksonville rush stats dont show you is how many times we let gurrard get away from big sacks, sure we had 5 or 6 sacks, but I remember 3 or 4 times we broke through the o line and gurrard got away( props to gurrard).

Also our defense I thougt was hitting pretty hard even late in the game after being on the field most of the time.

It seems one of Buffalos week spots is the rush defense. IF we are successful in getting rush yards, we can gobble some clock up.

Also we are a second half time lately. Vince youngs stats dont show you how our receivers have dropped lots of solid passes. We have some droppers and no true #1 receiver. Our TE's is who you have to watch for.

Sure Vince makes mistakes, in the giants game he completed passes to 8 different receivers. Also Vince brings confidence to the team. If the receivers can capatilize Vince will give them chances.

Our special teams are solid, if buffalo refuses to punt to pacman, we will use him on kick off returns. Also I really dont see you guys throwing to Pacs side alot.

We have lots of problems, but we will be aggressive to try and win the game. I really think these 2 teams are matched pretty well. Whoever can pull off the run and not make mistakes will probually win...