I have been accused...

BoondckCL

You apparently have a lot of things that make doing anything but apologizing and saying it won't happen again something that might be job threatening.

1.  You apparently don't have a union.  Hence tactlessness of the supervisor is a given

2.  I suspect you are in a firing at will state, meaning pushing it could have very bad consequences.]

3.  No union, employment at will means the supervisor pretty much owns you while at work.  Try to get along.

Wish I could be of more help, but if the rule said finish before you sign off, then that's what you have to do.

872189[/snapback]

unions = good

no unions = you are !@#$ed

Peter Gibbons: The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.

Bob Porter: Don't... don't care?

Peter Gibbons: It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my ass off and Initech ships a few extra units, I don't see another dime; so where's the motivation? And here's something else, Bob: I have eight different bosses right now.

Bob Slydell: I beg your pardon?

Peter Gibbons: Eight bosses.

Bob Slydell: Eight?

Peter Gibbons: Eight, Bob. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled; that, and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.

Peter Gibbons: The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.

Bob Porter: Don't... don't care?

Peter Gibbons: It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my ass off and Initech ships a few extra units, I don't see another dime; so where's the motivation? And here's something else, Bob: I have eight different bosses right now.

Bob Slydell: I beg your pardon?

Peter Gibbons: Eight bosses.

Bob Slydell: Eight?

Peter Gibbons: Eight, Bob. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled; that, and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.

872392[/snapback]

How many pieces of "Flair" are required?

Yes, seventeen are recommended as the minimum, but how many does one wear to show their true dedication to the company? :nana:

unions = good

no unions  = you are !@#$ed

872302[/snapback]

I tend to agree. Archibald Cox was a great labor lawyer and teacher at Harvard (before Watergate.) His article on union agreements compared the relationship to a "marriage contract"

Since then the employment relationship has gone from "we'll work and we'll deal with business til death do we part", to "you'll do til something better comes along" to the hooker relationship. "Here's x dollars an hour, do what I tell you and move on"

of scamming the company i work for. Bare with me, it's lengthy, but i need advice.

How so? The company monitors our performance on the job with a computer system that sets a certain amount of alotted time for each order. After we finish an order, we type in our next order and the actual time we spent on the our last order is then divided by the time the computer says we should complete the order in.

At the end of the night, one must type in a sign off code that signs you off of the system, and identifies the amount of time you spent on your last order of the night, as well as your total for the night.

The percentage points are then taken and used to gage your performance on the job. In between 80 and 109% one is paid $15.00 an hour, 110-120%, one is paid at a rate of an additional $2.75 for a total of $17.75. At 121-125% one is paid at a rate of $21.00 an hour.

I usually run somewhere between a 95% and 103%. Tonight, as i have done for the past three weeks, i signed off while i still had one aisle left on my order, and five minutes after my signing off, i was approached by one of the managers and told that i was "scamming" the company because i signed off early and i was running up my percentages. For the record i ran a 100% on the night.

As is clearly seen, i am no where near any of the incentive numbers, which are those numbers which increase your pay. So is it truly scamming. Maybe it is just the choice of words that my manager. Rick used, but I don't think i was scamming the company.

Advice, words, whatever would be appreciated.

871592[/snapback]

do you still have a job ????

I tend to agree.  Archibald Cox was a great labor lawyer and teacher at Harvard (before Watergate.) His article on union agreements compared the relationship to a "marriage contract"

Since then the employment relationship has gone from "we'll work and we'll deal with business til death do we part", to "you'll do til something better comes along" to the hooker relationship.  "Here's x dollars an hour, do what I tell you and move on"

874167[/snapback]

It depends on which side you are on...if you have a management job or are paid a salary than Unions are bad...and create more problems. If you are an hourly worker than maybe unions are good...but I cannot see how telling your boss and company that you do not trust them is a good thing.

It depends on which side you are on...if you have a management job or are paid a salary than Unions are bad...and create more problems.  If you are an hourly worker than maybe unions are good...but I cannot see how telling your boss and company that you do not trust them is a good thing.

874638[/snapback]

In today's employment world the advice applies to all. Telling anyone you don't trust them is not a good thing. Actually trusting them would be a worse thing. Pensions, discipline, layoffs, shutdowns and federal indictments of so many back me up on this position.

In today's employment world the advice applies to all.  Telling anyone you don't trust them is not a good thing.  Actually trusting them would be a worse thing. Pensions, discipline, layoffs, shutdowns and federal indictments of so many back me up on this position.

874787[/snapback]

I am lost here, if I am a salary employee, if I join a union, who do they argue with? Themselves? Unions allowed hourly employees to strike and make demands on management. A salary employee is management.

I am lost here, if I am a salary employee, if I join a union, who do they argue with? Themselves?  Unions allowed hourly employees to strike and make demands on management.  A salary employee is management.

874790[/snapback]

A salaried employee is not necessarily management. Police officers, teachers, and many other salaried employees join unions and are not part of management. Further there are even rules about supervisors who may be represented in collective bargaining (although in a different unit than those they supervise). The fact is that fewer and fewer workers are represented by unions, although they have the right to do so. As a management guy and often management consultant I should be happy about this, but I'm not so sure its such a great idea.

A salaried employee is not necessarily management.  Police officers, teachers, and many other salaried employees join unions and are not part of management.  Further there are even rules about supervisors who may be represented in collective bargaining (although in a different unit than those they supervise). The fact is that fewer and fewer workers are represented by unions, although they have the right to do so.  As a management guy and often management consultant I should be happy about this, but I'm not so sure its such a great idea.

874850[/snapback]

You and I can disagree on this...and I like TN :lol:

As a lifelong professional salaried employee, I never saw a need for a union. My ex-wife is a teacher who has to join a union...all it does it makes her have to striek and lose income....

I always say, if you do not like what management does....change jobs.

I'm not arguing the goodness or badness of it. The National Labor Relations Act, and the NLRB in the private sector says who can and can't engage in collective bargaining. In the public sector (in New York anyway) the Taylor act and the Public Employees Relation Board does this. Compare your wife's salary as a teacher to the salary (including benefits and fringes) to salaries in other states without collective bargaining. Might be that you and your wife are getting a lot more than you think out of collective bargaining.